Where Do I Buy Activated Carbon for a Bong?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by killermunchies, Jun 21, 2010.

1. So i just ordered a Weedstar 7mm Messias Illusion Ice from grasscity and as part of the set up I got a Carbon Filter Adaptor 18.8 mm Joint - Dutch - Grasscity.com . The thing is that it doesn't come with the carbon and grasscity doesn't seem to sell carbon, which means I have to find it somewhere else. So where is a good place to buy the correct kind of carbon for this carbon filter? A lot of websites sell carbon for other applications but I want to make sure what I buy fits into the filter and filters properly.

2. Here's the thing about carbon. Carbon/charcoal dust can cause blacklung, so make SURE to wash and dry it properly in a well ventilated area before using it.

You can buy activated carbon at pet stores, since they are used in some fishtank water filters. It's VERY cheap. Keep in mind that lesser quality carbon usually contains more dust..

3. Thanks for the reply. That's what I was looking for. And thanks for the heads up about the dust.

4. NYC, I have a hard time cleaning mine well enough. What method do you use? I put a little bit of the carbon in a strainer and then run it under the sink for a minute or so while I shake it around. Thing is, when I take it out and let it dry I still get black dust on my hands :(. I got it from Wal-Mart, $6 for 1lb. (if that matters).

5. #5 RepentYeNbelievethegospel, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    Yea that's gonna collect dust just sitting there.

What I do is use a round metal strainer, fill it up maybe half way with carbon, rinse it with cold water for a while, then pour it into a glass and let it soak in water for a couple hours. After that, strain it out, rinse it some more and let it dry out on some paper towels. Try not to touch it to much, you can use a card or piece of paper to scoop it into the filter adapter.

But you won't get it to run completly clear, and if your using it on a water piece, you'll be fine, as long as most of it gets rinsed off.

6. TY bro, tried to rep ya but gotta spread...I'll getcha.

7. I'm still a little confused...

Do you have to let the carbon soak for hours every time you want to smoke or is it a one time thing?

Also, how long can you leave the carbon in the bong.... are we talking new carbon every session or can I leave it in there for a day or longer?

8. Just wash and dry it properly one time before use.

Change the carbon after a gram of bud has been smoked through it.

9. Theres No way it only Works for a grams worth and than it's innaffective

10. Why does everyone say that the stones need to be dryed?

I never let mine dry before using them.

I dont let them dry because the carbon still functions wet, I mean, these are carbon stones used for fish tank filters. By nature of their function alone, the work while wet.

So is there some other reason IM missing that maybe I can benefit from letting them dry?

11. #11 sinsemillaswimm, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011

eh fuck the word buy

12. They work fine without drying for me, no blacklung bullshit here.

13. I was thinking about this as well. I think it would actually function BETTER while wet. Reason being I've never seen anything that was wet release dust. Dust usually occurs when something is really dry.

14. Hi - As this thread is outdated, I thought I would update you on activated carbon. I work for a carbon company in New Jersey, General Carbon Corporation. We have been in the carbon business for over 50 years and carry many lines of activated carbon available for immediate shipment.

To clarify on a few of the comments I read, activated carbon is made from the same stuff as coal. Some carbon is more dusty than others, but the dust/ash content does not represent the quality of carbon at all. The "blackening" that your hands get is from the same reason that you get "whitened" when you pick up a piece of chalk. It is the same concept. Carbon (and chalk) are delicate materials. Your hand will never stop getting "blackened" while you handle carbon.

Moving on. You can purchase the best priced, quality carbon from us here at General Carbon. For personal, individual use, I suggest our Happy Fish line of carbon. It is specially chosen for aquariums, but may be used for many applications. The reason I suggest that type of carbon is simply because we offer it in smaller quantity containers.

Please visit us at GENERALCARBON.COM or Happy Fish Carbon to view our products.

If you should have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. My email is moshea@generalcarbon.com.

Thank you and good luck.

15. Also, you do not need to wash the carbon. Washing carbon takes out some of its capacity for odor removal. I am assuming you do not care how clear the water looks as long as it takes out the smell. What would be a better idea, although something that might be a bit more expensive, is to have a cartridge above the water, so the smoke runs through the water, then through a home made cartridge with carbon in it. This will remove the smell much more efficiently than having the carbon in the water.

Do not worry about blacklung in either wet carbon or dry. Carbon does not effect human lungs as people would think. It does not have the 'tar' effect that cigarettes give. If you were to stick your hand in a pile of carbon and lick it, it would not be harmful at all - granted their are not any dangerous contaminants in the carbon to begin with. Again, if you would like an economical answer to your odor problems, look here: Happy Fish Carbon