Where are we at overall on legalizing it ?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by NebbieGrow09, Jun 2, 2009.

1. I live in Ohio. I mean how close is it to being legalized ? months years never ?

2. Several years.

3. Really even for medical ? Why ?

4. neh just move to california...you;ll love it!!!!!

5. Can you smoke anywhere there ?

How hard is it to get a mmj card ?

Why is it legal there and no where else ? Why hasnt every other state caught on ?

6. Theres about 12 states that have medical mary, but the midwest is lacking in the fight to legalize it, sadly.

7. What all states have it legal ?

Is it easy to get a card ?

8. Wow.. You could just google this or go to NORML.org I'm sure your answers are somewhere on the two.

9. That site is very helpfull thanks.

10. No one knows, years away still more than likely but the dominoes seem to be falling.

Ohio is already decrim so you are luckier than most, and I know there is a push in Ohio for Medical.

I expect states to start moving ahead with medical and/or decrim pretty quickly.

Michigan has medical now, and the other Midwestern states are working on it.

11. Michigan really needs to have it fully legalized. With GM and Chrysler going under, that takes a lot of jobs away from that area.

12. Fact. What we need even more than marijuana is hemp. Granholm says we are going to lead the way in the "green initiative" which is great if true, but hemp is the key, hemp could truly save this country.

13. OHIOANS SUPPORT MEDICAL MARIJUANA
    by Carly Tamborski, (Source:News Record)
    20 May 2009

Ohio
    -------
    Results from the University of Cincinnati's Institute for Policy Research show that a strong majority of Ohioans polled support prescribing medical marijuana.

The figures, published May 8 from the Ohio Poll, reported, "73 percent of Ohioans say they favor ( either 'strongly' or 'somewhat' ) allowing Ohio doctors to prescribe medical marijuana."

The poll was conducted from April 16 to April 27, using a random sample of 818 Ohio adults via telephone.

The demographic reported to be most in favor of prescription marijuana were respondents between the ages of 18 and 29.

Additionally, the poll found that 37 percent of Ohioans favor legalizing all marijuana use.

The same voter profiles that supported medical marijuana were also the ones most likely to support full marijuana legalization.

These results may explain why "marijuana continues to be the most widely abused and readily available illicit drug throughout Ohio," according to the Office of National Drug Control Policy ( ONDCP ).

It is true that THC, the primary active chemical in marijuana, can be useful for treating some medical problems," according to the ONDCP. "Synthetic THC is the main ingredient in marinol, a Food and Drug Administration-approved medication used to control nausea in cancer chemotherapy patients and to stimulate appetite in people with AIDS,"

All drugs have consequences. If the benefits outweigh the harm then I'm for it," said Laura Gray, a second-year nursing student.

Some students may not be aware that smoked marijuana, which is supported in the Ohio Poll for medical use, is different from marinol.

Unlike smoked marijuana -- which contains more than 400 different chemicals-- marinol has been studied and approved by the medical community and the FDA," said the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

There are currently no smoked medications approved by the FDA because the byproducts of smoking, such as carcinogens and harmful chemicals, form new health problems.

According to the Drug Enforcement Agency, "There is no consensus of medical evidence that smoking marijuana helps patients."

Still, marijuana supporters argue that marinol does not contain many of the therapeutic compounds held in natural cannabis and that certain chemical compounds found in cannabis are non-psychoactive.

Certain compounds have been clinically demonstrated to have more anti-psychotic, anti-nausea, and anti-rheumatoid arthritic properties, among others, according to the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws ( NORML ).

Additionally, NORML argues cannabis is less psychoactive than marinol. Marinol can have adverse effects including: drowsiness, confusion, anxiety, changes in mood, coordination impairment, depression and irritability.

Marijuana is labeled by the federal government as a Schedule I controlled substance, which means it has no accepted medical value. Cocaine, Opium and OxyContin are examples of Schedule II controlled substances, which mean they have at least a limited accepted medical value according to the United States government.

The Ohio Medical Compassion Act, bill that is currently proposing legal smoking of marijuana for medical purposes in the state, has not yet been enacted, but the notion that smoked marijuana can supply relief from certain medical conditions appears to be a major debate for Ohioans.

---------------------

It seems like you have strong majority in your State. Which is great news. Contact your local Reps and urge them to support such a movement.

Ohio - NORML

14. Even if it does get here... how easy would it be to get a card ? I have a few medical problems that might help me out.

15. Depends on how they end up setting it up in Ohio. You like asking unanswerable questions.

But like I already said, Ohio is decrim if you are caught with simple possition it's a $100 fine, so consider yourself luckier than most.

16. Agreed 100%. I've said for a while now with the national economy going so sour, and ESPECIALLY Michigan whose whole economy was basically based on the auto industry. With GM fileing for bankrupty, there's a massive job loss. My dad is one of them, and 43 years of seniority are out the window. We're currently struggling with healthcare to cover my mother's Chemotherapy treatments. With it THIS bad in the US (again, Michigan especially), I will give it a matter of 2 years before Marijuana laws in Michigan are atleast that of California, if not even better. Marijuana legalization in Michigan could easily be in the top 3 best solutions for the current auto industry crisis in the state.

But instead, Michigan decided to give tax breaks to movie companys, so we're currently building I think 4 Big-time movie studios in Michigan. All of that effort will probably be in vein, because Michigan's climate is certainly no place for a stable filming location.. but that's beside the point.

I'd put my money on Michigan being one of the first states to push for total marijuana legalization or (if possible, I'm not sure on this) make it legal according to state laws. Who knows, but thats my bet. We need it alot more than alot of other states do, thats for sure.

17. I'm not sure about that it would be nice though, I don't think any Michigan politician has the balls.

But the voters put forth a resounding yes for medical. Michigan(Ann Arbor) has one of the oldest decrim laws on the books. It would make sense. I could see decrim where they would be able to fine people for it, with all the seat belt traps and speed traps around here lately to get free revenue at experience to the tax payer I could see them go state wide decrim, make it $100 fine then actively looking for it.

18. I think they'll have the balls when they realize how many people would be for it in this point and time, and how much revenue it would bring in. I mean, it took balls to suggest the infamous "Ann Arbor $5 Fine," as well as to put it on the ballot for Medical use, being one of the very first midwestern states to do so, and being so close to the border. They knew the potential for abuse, and the benefits greatly outweighed the risk. Again with us being so close to the border, with Canada's lax policy on Marijuana, I don't doubt us being one of the first to legalize and tax. We're so close that Canada's ways affect us more than other states, just because of distance between the two.

But who knows? This is just my best bet, and I'm sure there's holes and flaws in my hopefulness. But I'm definately going to hope and put forth as much action for the cause as I can.

19. Look up your state reps and call them. I've went to do that and saw my reps are the evil ones, 2 of them are introducing a ban on Salvia. :rolleyes:

20. i think that it will never b fully legalized i think its gonna either b like california ware its reely easy 2 get medicly but it will never b federaly medical or its just gonna b like canada and the cops just dont care but unfortunatly u have 2 think about it the govermant nose how benifiacal it is with all the products and medican they can make with it and if they do legalize it will b very hard 2 tax all those products and medican bcuz hemp is mature enuogh 2 make paper with in 4 months and it takes trees decades 2 b mature enough for paper and cloth and oil etc. hemp also can creat more then 4 times as much paper as trees. products that are made from hemp are much more durable safer faster 2 make and easiar 2 make. it is so easy 2 make hemp clothing u can prolly make it at home. the govermant nose all this but they will never make it leagal bcuz it will b very dificult 2 tax it. thats y they feed us these malitias lies so everybody thinks it should b elegal hemp does not make you stupid it is not addicting and it is not a gateway drug. (u can find these ansewr and details from the movie the union) the govermant nose all this but it will never b fully legal because it is the greates plant on the planet