When To Trim?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by InnaDAZE, Sep 25, 2014.

1. so I chopped my plant yesterday and I started trimming away..
    did I mess up by doing that?
    I just read you have to leave it for 3 days so it doesn't dry up too quickly.
    but now that I trimmed it, it will dry quick and lots of the chlorophyll and harshness will stay in the leaves?
    is this true? what's GC opinion on this?
    also if I messed up is there anything I can do to let it dry slower? put them closer together or turn off my fans? my humidity is already at higher 60's F.
    btw the buds manicured look real good.

2. It's really personal preference. I find buds that were trimed first look nicer in the end. And try to get that humidity down to 50% if you can.

• Like Like x 2
  3.   You'll be fine let the fan run but not on them directly just a breeze. The chlorophyll goes away when in the dark and dried.  The sugars from the leaves are what needs to happen/curing. Stem and leaf still have energy/sugar in them and when dried with those still on make for a smoother smoke.  Big growers use tumble trimmers and that is done wet then dried kinda like you did.  The potency isn't going to all be there but only a small % again all good.  I wouldn't worry.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 InnaDAZE, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014

cool thanks. they are hanging in dark room now.
    for the next time I harvest what is the "correct" way of doing it?
    is it immediately from chop let hang for 3 days then trim and let hang for another 2-4 days then jar?

I can see why you think that cause I was able to trim those nugs real good. did not think trimming will be so much work I was there trimming like 20 branches for like 2-3 hours. and that was with 2 people.
    I live in a tropical area so I am actually pretty surprised that the humidity is that low in the room. maybe cause the fans are circulating the air. I will put some bowls of rice in there tonight to try to lower the humidity thanks!

6.   I use to dry the whole plant at once till they got to big for my closet.
      Chop it and let hang till it feels completely dry. Depending on ventilation, Humidity, air circulation and temp. that could be 5-7 days. if the air is flowing it will not mold unless air isn't vented out.   I have a bathroom exhaust fan in my closet a small fan and 7 rows of branches hanging. Humidity is between 65 and 75% depending on rain or fog outside. Temp varies and should be cool as possible but above 65 deg.   If all is perfect it will dry for trimming in 5-7 days depending on branch size.   After those days go by feel the out leaves if they feel crispy like it's over dry it's perfect. Trim the buds now and take them off the branches and into jars. They will moisten back up in the jars and you'll need to lay them out on a paper for 1/2 the day. Only Drying and curing needs to be in the dark not trimming. The jar stage is more critical then others. This is the final curing stage. It's easy tho.    Over night leave them in the jar during the day lay them out in as dark and dry a room as possible. I dry mine on news paper on my bed with blinds down. Then feel them periodically till they feel dry again and back in jars they go do this until they don't moisten in the jar.  It will now be cured and solid feeling.

• Like Like x 1