When to transplant small rockwool cube into big?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by yones420, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Hey guys, tried posting this in the beginner section but no replies So thought i would try here: my seeds in the 1" rockwool cubes sprouted, iv placed them under 30w cfl lights for now, at what point do I transplant them into the big rockwools? and do i soak the big cube beforehand?:confused:

Help is much appreciated:)

2. I wait until roots show. As long as the roots stay wet, the plants won't be set back. If I have several, all from seed, as soon as roots start to show on a couple, I move them all into big cubes. Clones don't get moved until they show root through the cube, since some don't take and it would be a waste.

I soak the cubes in pH adjusted water before I use them. Sprouts and clones get half strength nutes for a few days, then full strength. Rock wool won't allow you to over water. If the cubes get light, you aren't watering enough. If the tray fills up, too much.

Anesthesia F1 - seeds planted 4 weeks ago (almost).

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      143.9 KB
      Views:
  3. I can see the tail at the bottom of the rockwool, should i move them now? Thanks for the info man! Also forgot to ask , when do i put into NFT hydro system?

4. I would move it (them) into a larger cube today. If the roots get too long, they will take time to recover from the move. It will take 1 - 2 weeks for the roots to then grow to the bottom and sides of a 4"X4"X4" cube. When the roots can reach your nutrient solution, move them. you may want to hand water the cubes until the roots get a good start in their new environment. If you will use a rock wool slab to place the larger cubes on, this may reduce the need to hand feed/water. Just don't let the cube dry out before the plant can get what it needs elsewhere.

5. Ok transplanted them thanks man! started with the ionic bloom, is it not too early for nutes? according to ionic schedule i should use 5ml/liter which is what i did

6. Ionic makes a product called Grow for the vegetative cycle. Switch to Bloom with PK Boost when you go to 12/12. I use Grow at half strength for the first few days. You can hurt young plants with full strength when they are used to straight water. I'd dump the Bloom and start a half strength Grow solution. Take it up to full in a few days.

7. yea i meant to say grow :p