When to transplant clones?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Kdebi, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Okay so this is my time trying to clone any of my plants. I guess you would actually call it monster cloning because I took the cuts from a flowering amnesia kush plant in its second week of flower. I have my clones in rapid rooters in a humidity dome and they seem to being doing fine so far (it's been 10 days since cut). I'm starting to see roots shoot out of the rapid rooters on the majority of the cuts.

My question is when do I transplant the rapid rooters to my solo cups? As soon as the roots are visible? Or should it have a fair amount of roots shooting out first?

Also I plan on using fox farms light warrior in the solo cups with the clones because that's what I've been starting my seeds in so I figured that wouldn't hurt. Am I correct in this?

One more thing once they are planted in the solo cups should they get straight water at first or can I give them some notes? I'm an organization grower so I use lots of aloe and coconut water and kelp meal will any of this work for my clones to get started?

I know that's alot of questions lol but I cant find and definitive answers online in my searches. So anything you gurus have to tell me I'd appreciate.

2. I'd say yes to every question I think
    Transplant when roots are shooting out.
    Poke holes for drainage in the cups.
    Mix perlite at one third of it to two thirds dirt for drainage.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I myself would go bigger than a solo, like a 2 liter or a 1/2 gallon pot, as that will allow those bigger fibrous roots to stretch-out which will create a bigger root ball with bigger fibrous roots, which will help to speed up over-all plant growth once you up-pot in 3 to 4 weeks...

4. I transplant when my weakest clone has 4-5 roots poking out. So I can transplant them all at one time. You can do it as soon as you see a roots. But my experience if you give them a day or 2 more they will really just bust out for better solo cup growth. Don't forget to start venting your dome. Will help when you take them out plus roots like fresh air. You can also mist roots if they are exposed for days and looking dry. I usually don't feed until I transplant to 1 or 2 gallons. Super Soil and my setup allows for this. Are you running a perpetual grow? If so I usually keep plants in their small pot for as long as I can. Builds the rootball while keeping the plants nice a small. Before you start feeding make sure you will have room for the plant to be that size.

Sent from my LGL158VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Yes this is my first try at aperpetual grow. And yes were in the same thinking that's exactly what I had planned by keeping them in the cups until they have a nice solid root ball. Once you transplant do you still use a humidity dome or not?

6. No, you are done with the dome

7. Thanks my veg room is very dry. Do clone like high humidity like seedlings do?

8. While they are being cloned yes. Then you can drop down.

9. I'm sorry I ment after transplant do they like high humidity? The room they will be in is very dry around 30 percent humidity

10. That should be fine. Remember it's just a weed and grows in different climates across the globe

11. As long as you have been venting your dome your good. Do it gradually. 1/4, 1/2, all the way open. Then you can let them out for a couple hours the day before you wanna transplant. Nice and easy like getting out of bed in the morning without trying to wake your girl! Also DO NOT put a fan on them at all for the first couple of days... They will shrivel up so fast. Transplant, water, leave them alone until you see them perk up towards the light. And the cup is dry. The first week or so they will still be just growing roots so you might not notice much of a change. Hope this helps

12. Also on your environment. I run a perpetual grow as well too. The timing is really tough and probably the hardest thing to get down. Plants get big. I went through many harvests before I decided to focus on 1 strain. And I did this because it grows best in the setup and environment I have. Which is no where close to temps and humidity I have read that's appropriate for bud to thrive. But they do fine. I guess my point is. You will learn more at first if you keep growing the same strain plants. Its the only constant is this "experiment" of growing. Growing multi strains. You will have multi problems. Multiple solutions to those problems. Which leave multiple ways to fail. Keep it simple and you will have jars full of bud and you will be on here asking how to get it to stop molding cuz you can consume that much!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lol thank you for your kind words of wisdom that was very helpful. I transplanted all the clones that had decent root development on Saturday were now 2 days from them and they look fine. I've just been spritzing them with water everytime I take a peak just to keep them moist. And I think I will take ur advice on playing with one strain through multiple grows to get a feel for things. Thanks you

14. Best advice I’ve seen on here in forever!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  15. We have had a perpetual grow for about 10 years. The advice of 1 strain till you have mastered it is about the best advice you are going to get. At our peak we were growing 14 strains. It was a nightmare to keep up with. Harvested 4 plants with 10-14 oz. on each, every week for years. We are currently growing 4 strains. We are currently downsizing our flower room to be more efficient.
    Good luck with your grow!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1