When to top?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Joshuallan, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Strain: Sensi Skunk
    Lights: CFL 96w

Hey guys, simple question: when do I top this? I know for a fact she has 3+ nodes but I'm having a hard time telling whether she's ready for topping. Not sure where to cut either since the leaf layout is a little different from what I'm used to seeing.

Advise much needed.. thanks in advance!

Pictures attatched below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. really it up to you josh ,,,,i top mine at round the time its grown 4-5 sets of leaves ,,,to get the side stems grow ,i usually grow four main stems/branches on my plants ,,,,but as said different strokes for different folks it up to you ,,,mac

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hey Mac! How many set of leaves is this plant now? Like, 6? Is my plant considered "toppable"? Have never topped before so I'm a bit pre-cautious

4. I would wait a bit longer personally, maybe another good node growth. You can't really go wrong though bud. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shit man I'm on my first grow still and I topped all mine when they had anywhere from 3 to 5 nodes and the all liked it. I think on my next one which is AK-48 I'm gonna FIM one scrog one and LET one, well.... maybe lol....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I grow autos and like to top right above the third node just as the 4th node is forming.Based on the first picture you're ready if not one node too late. So I would cut right above the 4th node. No Brains, just one cut with your pot scissors. And that's all, no lollypopping until (if at all) it shows signs of vigorously growing again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. It appears she is working on her 6th node, and as stated most people begin topping between number 3 and 5. Look up micro topping, it works well with little stress to the plant. You basically take the smallest, newest growth.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Looks like it huh? Maybe I'll trim the tops. Will research on micro topping as well! Thanks a lot SoFX :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alright lotek, will do! Thanks for the advise. Looking at it though, it's growing pretty well, right?

10. Will check now if topping is a viable option. If not, I'll wait. Either way is good right? Thanks Dolph! :)

11. QUICK UPDATE:

Proceeded to take the majority's advice and topped my baby. Cut the top most growing node and watered it vigorously after 3 days of not watering her. (Normal)

Can anyone tell me if I did this right? Thank you in advance! Pictures below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. I wish I could hug you right now.

13. DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG?????

14. As stated above, there is no way to go wrong. A healthy plant is not going to have any hint of major stress due to that amount of defoliation. A marijuana plant in optimal conditions can take a hell of a beating.
    So, you should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alright, that's a giant relief on my end. But in relation to topping, will what I did result to 2 new growths? Or nadda?

16. #18 hellahydro, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Your picture looks good. I'm not sure what that small nub of growth is? If it's the newest growth you need to remove it in order for the plant to produce another top.
    Here's a picture of my sour diesel about 4 days after topping the smallest tiniest amount of latest growth. (Micro topping)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. I read somewhere...I can't remember where, I'm afraid. But topping after the 5th set of true-leaves, as already said, is a good time to top. I've seen a few people pull the little leaves off of a seedling after the 2nd or 3rd pair. By the way, those look very pretty!

• Like Like x 1
  18. I just went and topped one of mine own real quick for reference ;) Unless I'm looking at your picture wrong, you removed the new growth completely and just left the fan leaves (kind of funny haha.) Not a big deal though, just drop down below those fan leaves and give it a snip, like my pic.

Attached Files: