When to "sex" my plants

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by winter-owned, Dec 30, 2005.

1. I fished about 30 seeds out of a bag of a variety that i found decent and decided to give a whurl at my first grow. I recently started a very small garden in my stereo speakers. I'm about two weeks in and in a week I have to leave for a while, but I'll be back every now and then and be able to water and fertilize my plants.

My oldest plant has about 12 leaves and does not look like it is anywhere near ready to be sexed in a week. Will it be ok to cut it back to 12 hours of light before I leave? I do want a very small plant, eighteen inches is fine, so i got that going for me. I'll be gone for two weeks.

2. you can sex at any time but leaving them alone for 2 weeks especially at such an early age is not really a good idea

3. you can sex your plants when ever you like.

4. This is the general idea I couldn't get across before. My best plant only has four layers of leaves, meaning the leaves alternate positions on the stems four times. There's between 20 and 30 of them and it's probably only eight inches. I'll be home enough to water it but not to turn the lights on and off and i don't have a timer. I'm going to put it in my brightest windown sill but we're only getting about 12 hours of light right now. Is it going to stop vegatative growth and start budding when it gets cut back to 12 hours?

5. Yes, if you cut it back to twelve hours of light, it will start budding, but why not run out and pick up a timer. The things are like 5 bucks. Not sure if you'll have enough light at this time of the year, but if it's your only option give it a try. Personally i would just pick up a timer.

Happy Growing,
    Senior Ganj

6. thanks. I'll give it a try.