when to plant germinating seeds

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by gaston, Feb 20, 2010.

1. i germinated some bag seeds and 5 of them started opening up and sticking their ummm white tongues out? haha this is my first attempt to grow and i want to know when i should plant them. 1 or 2 days more? also do you point the "tongue" thing up or down into the soil?

Attached Files:

2. #2 puffin13, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
    "tap root" goes on bottom....looks ready to plant....

3. I've seen some people write that the taproot should be 1/4" long before planting in soil.

I have butterfingers and I worry that if I waited until the taproot was that long, I'd kill it.

I wait for them to split so I can just see the taproot, and then I drop them in soil. It takes a day or two longer to sprout (but probably just about the same amount of time that it would take for the taproot to get that long), but it works for me.

Also the taproot pointing down thing is ideal, but if it means digging it back out of the soil - like if you drop it in and it lands upside down - it's not a big deal, and with my butterfingers, I just leave them upside down rather than trying to reorient them.

I mean, these things will sprout in nature, and in nature they aren't getting buried to the proper depth, they aren't necessarily in PH balanced soil, they don't necessarily get watered at exactly the right time, they don't have the advantage of starting out in paper towel, and they don't have the advantage of being oriented with the taproot down. Yet somehow they survive.

You may get a higher success rate if you do everything exactly right, but if you don't get every detail, it doesn't mean a dead plant.

4. so like tomorrow? and can i plant them in normal fertilizer for now? or should i get all that special shit with NPK or whatever

5. I put mine right into FoxFarms Ocean Forest soil.

If you have stuff on hand, you could plant it now. It's got more taproot showing than I usually wait for. So yeah, any time.

You want something with the right N-P-K ratio, but IDK what that is off the top of my head. I'm sure if you search you'll find it.

6. thanks for the great explanation. + rep :p lol
    but i think im gonna plant that big one now. how can you tell if you kill the taproot???

7. Just try not to touch it or break it off.

If you use tweaser to pick up the seed, make sure you don't squeeze the shell too tight because it could then squeeze the taproot.

Just be gentle and you'll be fine.

8. could i pick up some of that FFOF at walmart?

9. Sadly, I don't think so.

You might be able find something similar at a garden store. Wal-mart might have something similar.

I live in a pretty crappy, unhip midwest town, but there are two Hydroponic stores within 15 miles of my house that both carry FFOF. I was shocked that it was so available.

If you haven't, you should check FF's website for a location near you that sells their stuff - or at least find somewhere close to the somewhere that sells general flower growing stuff. You'll probably visit such a place a couple of times before your first harvest for this or that. You'll need decent nutes at some point if nothing else.

10. oh my walmart a mile away has a huge gardening section, i'll check tomorrow. how many weeks after sprout do i add nutes?

11. #11 uber noob, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2010
    Here is a check list to make sure when you buy from Walmart; Avoid time release fertilizers, avoid pre-fertilized soil, and even though all plants are different, do not fertilize seedlings until after they grow about 3-5 real leaf sets. (not including the cotyledons, since they are not "real leaves")

Time release fertilizers give you a hard time adjusting the right amount of nutes and screw up your ph levels sometimes, although if it is only what is available then it'll still work. Just be careful with the amount you put into the soil. Pre-fertilized soil might over nutriment seedlings and burn them, which is why you avoid throwing in fertilizer until they are a little older.

Last but not least on the the check list, spend more time reading and studying how to grow properly, it'll pay off in the end. Even reading material that is not directly related to growing cannabis, but orientated towards plants in general help a lot. (It'll guide you towards the right direction for a fertilizer with the optimal NPK ratio, keeping in mind that all plants grow a little differently)

12. NO!!!!

Do not add nutes till later on when it's actually a plant!!! Yes, you need all that "special shit".

A little reading goes a long way before you plant a seed.

What are you planting it in? (which soil)

Assuming you've set up and tested both your veg and flowering environments?

13. well its bag seed, and im just trying this to see where it goes, in getting the plant stable and planting it outside. i live in texas. with mom. so no indoors :/

im gonna plant it in some soil from my garage. just normal healthy soil

14. Stop stressin man:smoking:they want to grow !
    I put hayseed in a cup warm water inject to the water heater and just leave 4days ,when ilooked they were growing like tadpoole.
    I planted them with to much touching and they popped up no problem .
    Soil is fine for neuts till 3to4 weeks & you will changepots so just water for now.:smoking:

15. how much water how often :D

16. Starve them of water before u over feed you will know when they need water it depends on set up but a cup every second day at the most the little plastic tooth brush cups :smoking:.

Learn the weight of pot when waterd and wait till it gets real light .