when to harvest outdoor buds???

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by hippyamanda, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Hello, I am new here, and ALSO new to growing. I am currently growing 4 plants outside, all organic.... i have here a few pictures of 3 of the plants that look about ready to harvest, but the 4th one is still in Veg Stage because I suppose White Widow takes a lot longer to harvest (I bought this clone last too)

my problem is Im NOT EXACTLY SURE when is the right time. I read that the trichomes have to be mostly amber in color, not just white.... So I was wondering if any of you more wise veggie growers could give me tips on how long you think I need to wait to harvest these 3 plants?

Let me know PLEASE, ANY info/tips would be GREATLY appreciated.... I tried taking as closeup of pics as i could so you all could see the tri's as well as u can.
    ------
    About The Pics:

The First plant is my newest budding plant. Its a strain called: Thai Stick crossed with Vietnam Black. supposed to be 100% sativa. Please let me know when u think this might be ready.

The 2nd image is of a shwag seed I planted, but it ended up growing into a VERY nice looking sativa dom plant. This one looks like its close to done if NOT completely done.

The 3rd pic is of a random kush seed, i think master or bubba... i got it from a friend... And this one looks like its the closest to being done.

The last pic is a big picture of the Thai Stick x Vietnam Black. thats the most expensive seed ive seen in a awhile so i wanted to take another pic of the whole thing so i could get some more advice on this....

so could you guys please do me a HUGEEE favor and give me your opinions on when i should harvest these 3 plants??? :) :)

THANKS SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING! any advice will be greatly appreciated. Private Message me if you like too. Again THANK YOU and hope everyones having a great weekend

Peace&Love

2. No pics :(

Harvest date depends on where you are located and weather. By now, in the US, most places are getting cold and harvest time is pretty much over, or coming to an end (not in all places, of course).

Sativa dominant plants usually take a long time to flower, like 9+ weeks (sometimes up to 14!!). When did the plants go into flower? That will give you a rough estimate of when to chop. The trichomes really tell you what to do, though. When you seem amber colored trichomes popping up, then it's just about ready to chop.

If it's getting cold/frosty where you live, I suggest taking them inside to finish up. The product will be much better that way.

3. yo what kind of a high do you want? if you want a head high you harvest when theyre mostly milky if you want a body high wait till theyre amber or go 50/50 to meet in the middle:smoking:

4. usually you can tell when outdoor buds are ready to be cut hung and dried is to feel the buds on ur plant....squeeze them lightly and see if u can feel the stem...if you cant then there ready to go...if you feel a stem wait another week or so and check em again....found this trick from a REALLY OLD hippy friend with over 40 yrs outdoor experience...our babies came out beautiful...still in the curing process

happy toking

5. Sorry Guys i thought I sent the pics with my message... I was pretty sure of it anyways...

The first pic and 2nd picture are one of my plants, my most recently planted one... Its called Thai Stick, supposedly 100% Sativa.

The 3rd pic is of this random kush seed a friend gave to me, this one has been growing since the beginning of June.

The 4th pic is of a shwag seed someone gave me, and tht has been growing since the beginning of may.

Please let me know any tips or advice about how close these look to harvesting... I am a 1st time grower, and also everything has been organic and i grow it outdoors. Thanks so much you guys!!

6. Im sorry I didnt realize my pics were too big for this forum. I resized them and They are still in the same order as my previous post. 1st and 2nd pic are the thai stick, 3rd is a kush seed i started in june, 4th is shwag seed i started in may.

please any tips or advice on when you think these will harvest would be greatly appreciated!!

Attached Files:

7. That Kush looks ready lots of ambers on it. The Thai and other one look milky. Its all about the high you want.

8. #8 nancybotwin, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Use a microscope to check the trichome color. I staggered my harvest once the trichomes started turning amber so I can have different batches at different highs or wait it out if you are very decisive about what kind of high you want. It also helps to look at your plant daily and watch the resin glands swell and the hairs will change colors brown-red etc. The leaves will be yellowing as well. Also keep track of the temps. in your area if you are outdoors because a swift frost could destroy your hard work. Excessive rain can also start mold very quickly this stage of the game so after a hard rain lightly shake your buds dry so no mold can grow. Check your plants daily for any grey or brownish or white webby stuff on your flowers this means mold and you must get rid of it or it will spread. Good luck and don't forget to post some pics of your harvest. Everyone loves the finished product!:)

9. Anyother way to check them if you dont have a microscope?

10. jeweler's loupe, magnifying glass, macro setting on your camera

tons of ways

11. Thx p_snickers never would of thought of those options.