Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

When the Federal Law and the State Laws clash..

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by KinkySwitch, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I recently got my MMJ Rx (are you tired of me bragging about it yet? ;) ) But I also just recently got out of the hospital. HMC here in Seattle wants me to take one of their programs for DBT (that's Dialectic Behavior Therapy) It's a very specliazed and intense therapy program.

The catch - you must be sober for 60 days prior to the start of treatment.

Federal law prohibits HMC from recognizing my MMJ Rx as valid, therefore, I am still using an Illegal substance of which they will test for. Therefore - I cannot take this program.

I have been suggested to take this program before, but didn't for other reasons back in June. I do not/cannot take opiates/muscle relaxers, so stop using my MMJ is out of the question. I cannot adhere to their strict attendance rules if I'm in pain or not getting good rest, so I won't just not take anything for my physical issues - so...

Here is my first experience of where State law and Federal law clash... Ie: It's legal for me to have MMJ. - Oh Wait no its not its still ILLEGAL across the nation =(

2. Ugh...sh!tty situation, no doubt. If you really want to pursue the DBT, maybe talk with your MMJ prescribing doc & see if he/she will talk with the DBT administrators.

If you really want to ruffle feathers, get the media involved too. :D

3. When ever the fucken feds have a case.

4. :mad: Its aggravating. My medicaid will totally pay for this therapy, too. It doesn't matter what choice i make, I won't be able to get the treatment I need, it seems. This is one of the best (and first) programs in the nation, started by researcher and psychologist Marsha Linihan.
    But no, Federal Law will outweigh state in this matter.

Not just that, but it also reinforces the idea (intentional or not) that people with BPD are constantly drug-seeking or doing self-harm behaviors if they are using pot (I say pot here, but others with BPD usually if they do have drug abuse issues, abuse alcohol)... even if for medicinal purposes.

By not recognizing my Rx, they're basically throwing me in with the basic BPD stereotype and view me as someone who needs to be clean for 60 days prior so they can 'see me as I am without any alterations to my personality or moods'