when should i top my plants?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Hawaiian89, May 26, 2008.

1. like the title says...when?

they are about a week old and just starting on their 2nd set of true leaves

2. Wait until you either have 7 sets of nodes already out with your 8th on the way. Or when it's 18 inches tall.

I usually wait until it's 18 inches tall no matter how many nodes it has on it because I end up clipping the bottom branches to avoid wasted plant energy.

3. I second that, however I shoot for 1 node per inch so i usually have 12-18 nodes by then 1 and 1/2 foot tall.

4. what about trimming the lower branches, whens a good time for that?

i would think that a good time would be as soon as or before it starts vigorous veg growth so they energy can be redirected to the upper branches

5. I wait until about 3-4 weeks after I top my plants to trim the bottom branches. This allows the plants to recover from the massive amount of shock you just put them through what with chopping the top of its body off and all. It's all about when you feel it's time really, but I agree usually just before they start their big growth spurt between veg and flower.

6. i just topped my plant but i was wondering how many node's can i cut off at a time and how long do i need to wait to start flowering her????:smoke:

7. for me i topped my plant when they are about 6 feet tall.

but it depend the strain and the most importent is how big you want it.

it is your choice,for the bottom , AS SOON as possible.

keep it growing

8. I top on the 4-5 node. And then continue through out the grow. 7-8 is a little tall for me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. i have a white widow clone and i've had it on a 24/7 schedual for about a month.i have it in a grow tent under a 150 watts light. it is now about 2 1/2 feet tall. i just topped it a little bit so would it be ok to throw it into flowering already or should i wait. i have a 600 watt light that i will use for the flowering stage.any advice would be helpful