When should i separate???

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by paybaccjazz, Nov 25, 2012.

1. I've been growing in a single pot and their pretty big, should I move em together to a bigger pot or seperate them?

Attached Files:

2. separate pots; as big as is practical.

3. Right now their both in there, is it safe to seperateem now? That's them in the picture

4. #4 BadKittySmiles, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
    It's only going to become more of a challenge and more detrimental to both plants, if you wait any longer... so yes, definitely split them up!

I'm guilty of starting multiple plants in a pot to save space, then splitting them up later on, myself. :p If you wait just a few days too long, their recovery process can add unnecessary weeks to your total crop cycle... not only will you be waiting a bit longer to sample your crop, that's also extra $$$ in lighting/electricity, and food, that you otherwise shouldn't have had to pay for!

Some plants species are better at sharing confined/closed spaces, than others. Cannabis is not necessarily the worst in that regard, given ample room, but it's also not the most 'generous' when it comes to sharing very small areas with its own kind. :D

Especially in small indoor pots, cannabis plants tend to compete and strangle each other out, meaning that even when they all live and survive, their combined yield is often smaller than one single plant would have produced, in the same time, and in the same pot.

Edit - As a side note, the 'Law' will generally still charge you for multiple plants even if they are all in the same pot (if they don't, it's likely only because they didn't bother to count as closely as they do in other circumstances, for whatever reason), so it's a lose-lose scenario due both to the loss in productivity, and the increase in risk.

5. The longer they are together the higher of a chance the roots will bind up into one another. I recommend always keeping them separate, from sprout to harvest. The sooner, the better : )

6. The longer they stay in there together the worse damage you'll do separating then. I grew a super lemon haze and a purple haze in one five gallon bucket and they both did just fine. They grew to full fruition one half of the bush had slh buds and the other side of the bush was purple haze. It was pretty cool actually and I had thought originally they'd choke each other out or one would stunt but nope. They had enough space and did fine.

7. that pot you have them in looks big enough to sustain them both ive had a couple of girls in the same pot and as far as space for roots then they where fine and where not tangled atall, but if I had known "badkittysmells" before hand then this thing he said here > Especially in small indoor pots, cannabis plants tend to compete and strangle each other out, meaning that even when they all live and survive, their combined yield is often smaller than one single plant would have produced, in the same time, and in the same pot." would have been the most valuable piece of information I had been told, your stronger plant will grow and block out light to the smaller one meaning the smaller one will stretch a few node spaces just to catch up with it and over time it will become pretty runty compared to the stronger of the two

8. Ok so I think I'm gonna let them chill and run their course, ill keep you guys updated on what happens.

9. have you not took any note of what you are being told? your going to loose alot of yield on one plant not due to space or root mass becoming entwined but because one will be constantly competing with the other for the light at canapy level resulting in stretching, split them up to get the most out of it

10. Ok, I'm just nervousness about moving em, that's all. Bug you guys probably kno more than me. I'm such a noob at this

11. Ok, I'm just nervousness about moving em, that's all. Bug you guys probably kno more than me. I'm such a noob at this

worst thing I did was let them share,, that really does happen brother with the stretching competing for light,, you can find 3 or 4 node lengths being completly took up by stretch,, and it aint nice and aint pretty,, dont be scared to split them up there roots are not entwined and they will do so much better in there own pot

12. What if when I try to split em, the roots are entwined, then what?

13. Just split them down the middle (between the two), trying to keep intact as much of the root mass belonging to each originating plant as possible.

Even after only just a few days in the same pot, if they grow well during those few days (and they usually do :) ), you will still likely snap a few roots while separating them... separating them at this stage can DEFINITELY appear violent, but to increase your yield, and reduce the risk of losing one (or both plants) all together, the few days it takes them to recover from some rough-housing below, is nothing. :p If anything, you'll begin see an increase in their rate of growth after a couple of days, where their roots are no longer intertwined.

14. They wont be!.. id draw a line in the soil wit my finger as to where the roots should end, inbetween the two plant, and take a little soil out from the side of the pot enough to slide my hands in either side, id cup the plant at the bottom of the pot and with a good watering id gently lift that girl out

15. Definitely gonna do that today. Will be posting pictures

16. :metal::bongin:

totally man u wont regret