When should I flower?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Gilman420, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Hi, I am pretty new to this and I was wondering how to know when to start flowering.  I know it probably differs from plant to plant, but I am under the impression that after about 60 to 65 days is the best time to trigger flowering.  I have two plants that have gone for about 58 days now in veg stage.  They are still pretty short and I keep thinking to grow them further, but do they still continue to grow as they bud? Here they are-

I am pretty sure this is a sativa plant and it has grown for about 58 days and is only 28" tall with 11 nodes of leaves:
    View attachment 157625

This is an Indica I believe and is only 20" tall after the same amount of time about 57 to 58 days in veg:

View attachment 157630
    View attachment 157629

Thank you,
    Gilman

2. They should be monsters at 2 months veg and ready to rock. They seem to be getting insufficient light what's up

3. #3 Gilman420, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
    Well, I kinda fell under some tough times and I couldn't get anything too pricey.  But, I found a hydro shop a little ways away.  I can get a HPS light for about 70 or 80 dollars.  What is the correct amount of lumens or how many watts per plant?  I wasn't sure what it was so, I am trying to make due with what I got.  I will improve this setup my friend :)

Thank you,
    Gilman

4. Mine is outdoor 8 weeks. Jack harer measured at 4 foot 5 inch. AK47 is 3 foot tall.

Just to give you an idea(And thats not optimum growth) of how your lumens are doing.

5. My girlfriend really needs the medical stuff and this was kinda a trial run with these two plants.  I am growing a tomato plant outside on my homemade top feed hydro setup to see how that goes.  I want to take my jack herer plant and cut clones to put in hydro.  We have no money to get health insurance and can barely afford all the stupid pills she has to take.  I think it could help her if I can get my act together.  Any help is greatly appreciated thank you.

6. #6 joe 60, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
    I would top/cut the sativa plant down to 18" and top the Indica plant

you need both plants to be the same hight a few weeks in flower and a few tops on each plant
    if you flower them now, ones going to end up a foot taller than the other and its going to be a waste of time

I would use a 400w mh for the two plants

the thing is a mh/hps has a sweet spot where the best buds grows ,with a 400w mh its probability a 2 ft half circle under a horizontal hood
    and some reasonable bud upto 3ft half circle anything outside this at is going to be airy buds

so as the best hight above the canopy is 12" for a  400w mh, you realy need a lot of tops/bud sites at the top of the plants in the sweet spot

the plant could be 5ft tall but if the bud only grows on the top 12" of the plant, its a waste of time.

plants can double or more when you turn them over to flower

7. I looked on the stores website and the metal halide light ballast and reflector and all will cost way too much.  Do you know where I can order a good lamp for about $180 to $200 online?

8. Wow, that's a great deal.  I also found a 400w lamp local on craig's list, but it doesn't come with a timer and extra bulbs and it looks kinda old.  He is asking $50. 

9. that ebay deal is the best you will find, especially when you consider hangers and a timer which you will need and also free shipping

jump on it while it lasts, those are the best prices we have seen in ten years, and with just that one light you will be able to grow your girlfriend some very good pot.

10. Ok, I will definitely order that light :)  I think I will still check out the other one as well.  I have up to $200 I could spend so I will order that as soon as I can.  I can't wait to see the little girls flourish under them.  The only concern I have is the heat in the attic and I have no way to get fresh air in there :(  I live in an upstairs apartment in a two story house and I really want to make a hole in the wall lol but I can't.

11. yeah well, that guy gave you good advice, you need to top those plants under that low light and get the canopy even.When you get your 400w set up you can flip. So that means starting out on HPS at 12/12

12. you can adapt like all farmers do. You may find it is too hot to grow in your attic in the summer, but it may be very good in the spring and fall. Once you know what you are doing you can make it work for you.

13. Nice, that has already been put into the works.  Both plants are under the low light on a long light cycle of 20/4.  It hurts a little to chop her down like that, but I did it.  They are even now.  I was also planning on getting that $50 MH lamp first to hold over until better arrives.  Then I was already planning on switching the light cycle when I get the MH.  I am going tomorrow to look at it. 

14. Good point lotek.  I have a good grasp on what to do, I just have no money to get all this stuff.  I wish I could afford a self contained grow box with a/c and environment controls and maybe a vertical hydro setup.  But, I am still new and learning as I go to use what I have available to make something great.  I think this is so fun growing.  I have been growing vegetables too, and I have a top feed hydro tomato plant out on my porch.  I thought it would be dead by now, but it is doing great :D

15. Joe, I did what you said...but something else popped into my head while I was just checking on the two plants.  What if I bent them down so that all the baby clones on the plant can stretch up and create a larger canopy?  I know that would cause a knot to develop in the stem and make it harder for bud to form past the bend though.  Is there a way to bend it over and grow the branches up without sacrificing the quality?

16. You can pull the top down and tie it to something actually look into lst ( low stress training)

Your not supercropping so no knots will be forming fyi

17. now you are talking, that's the best way to get the most out of your lights. Big growers need big lights, small growers can get along with lower lights and make up for it with pruning or training techniques.

Keep them low, low, low and keep your canopy even.

18. Ok, great to hear.  Thank you all for your input.  I will reward you all with some good pics soon.  I am going to wait until I get the MH going. I got a bunch of junk in that room so I will probably tie it to a plastic tote full of random crap.  I couldn't sleep well so I was up trolling the forum and looking up youtube videos about bending plants.  Thank you, very much for the advice everyone.  My girlfriend and I appriciate it a lot :)   She has fibromyalgia, bi-pollar disorder, depression (I really hope I can help this one cuz she doesn't like doing anything :( ), and some others on top of her stomach issues from her past surgery on it she got a gastric bypass. (hoping jack doesn't give her too much munchies :)

PS- How do I make a journal?

19. [quote name="Gilman420" post="21733082" timestamp="143376 did what you said...but some else popped into my head while I was just checking on the two plants.  What if I bent them down so that all the baby clones on the plant can stretch up and create a larger canopy?  I know that would cause a knot to develop in the stem and make it harder for bud to form past the bend though.  Is there a way to bend it over and grow the branches up without sacrificing the quality?[/quote]

suppercropping is where you bend the main stem at and cause knot, Its hit and miss imo
    I have spent years trying to master lst and topping

don't think lst is going to work on a plant that height, pull the stem over too much and it will snap

good luck