When is 24/0 good?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by gre123123, Oct 24, 2010.

1. When is 24/0 able to be used? i am trying to think of the best light cycle for my plants

2. When you want boat-loads of Veg

3. up until you flower sir. Enjoy and good luck

4. first week or two of veg would be the best time to use 24/0 but then you should switch to 18/6 till you decide to flower

5. why that?

6. alright thanks fellas. maybe we will do 18-6 after a while so they can get a little rest during some of the veg then flower at like 14-10

7. I like to give autoflower strains 24 and the rest 18/6. 24 keeps the autoflower girls in veg, and if not, 18 is plenty.

8. How is 24/7 going to make an autoflower strain stay in veg?..

9. MJ plants do not need rest. The only reasons to go 18/6 instead of 24/0 is if you have electrical cost concerns, or heat issues. MJ plants do not rest.

Why would you flower at 14/10 when the more equal dark/light you have the better your plants will flower? Flower at 12/12 The extra 2 hours of light is only hurting you during flowering.

10. Wow, do you realize that AUTOflower means they will flower regardless of the light cycle? 24/0 does not keep autoflowers (well, real autoflowers anyway) in veg, they will still flower automatically.

11. Exactly. Just keep it simple 24/0 veg, 12/12 flower. If you keep changing the light schedule, that may stress the plant

Unless you're worried about power consumption of course

12. when the lights are off it gives time for the roots to grow and absorb nutrients, id say 18/6 is far better than 24/0 for the simpal fact that if the plant was in nature it would have some darkness in its cycle

13. That's a myth. The roots and canopy grow together. You won't grow more roots in the dark...

-Loki

14. the difference in the 6 dark hours mis that the plant get a rest from the heat of the light and time to stretch in the dark. keeping them in 24/0 will give like 20% more growth over veg period due to it getting more time of light.

18/6
    save energy
    gives them small break at night

24/0
    fast vegging
    dont have to worry about timer

i havent seen any real difference in the overall health of the plants when comparing 18/6 to 24/0 lighting.

15. #15 BadAxe, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2010
    Please stop giving out advice like this. Do some research of the science of an MJ plant. There is NO resting. They do NOT need a break, they do NOT need to stretch in the dark. During veg, there is absolutely no benefit whatsoever of giving your plants darkness. None. the only reason to give them dark during veg is if you have power cost concerns or heat concerns. But for the actual plant. NO benefits.

If you believe darkenss helps MJ plants in veg, you need to read more than just posts on a message board. Read actual research on how MJ plants live.(Nick, this statement not directed right at you, but at anyone that continues to hold onto the belief that darkness is needed during veg.).

Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with going 18/6. I did it for my first grow, but it was heat concerns that made the decision for me. I turned my lights off during the day when it was hottest, to help control my temps. Now its fall, and I got a cool tube, and I am running 24/0 (Well I am in 12/12 now but was in 24/0) and my growth was better under 24/0 then it was 18/6. But that doesn't prove anything since its different strains, different conditions and so forth. So no scientific data in that comparison. But nothing negative will result from 18/6, there just is no advantage to it.

16. I totally agree with you.

Im growing autoflowering girlies at the moment and keeping to 18/6... they're looking quite good if i do say so myself. :) . They'll be 7 weeks old this wed .

ecopixie xxx

17. Yeah why that?

18. Axe is right...knowledge is power my friends....Stay thirsty (and for once i dont mean dos equis)

Need the dark | Cannabis Culture Magazine

19. There are many kinds of autoflower varieties, not just Ruderalis.

The herb I am working with right now will flower if root bound, or if light is less than 24. Did you really ask me how this works? Dude... no one really know yet.
    But the facts are obvious. Blackberry Kush needs 24 to veg.

[​IMG]

20. #20 smoove, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2010
    As much as people want to make this a cut and dry issue, it's not. Statements like "During veg, there is absolutely no benefit whatsoever of giving your plants darkness," are just as misguided as saying, "Plants need to sleep". There most definitely are benefits to a having a dark period, but at the same time, cannabis does not require a dark period to thrive.

One benefit of having a dark period, which may be of greater importance for organic growers is the higher production of exudates during the night cycle:

The relationship between plant and soil microorganisms is quite high on the organic grower's priority list, and root exudates are the communication link between plant and mycorrhizal fungi in particular. This is one glaringly obvious benefit for including a dark period.

This isn't to say one light cycle is better than the other, just a reminder that the decision may be appropriately dictated by the growers environment and goals. I can see a DWC hydro setup benefiting from a 24/0 where root/microorganism relationships really don't factor into plant development. Conversely, I can see an organic grower who's goal is to maximize the potential relationship between plant and the soil micro herd, relishing the idea of promoting symbiosis by simply adding a dark cycle.

Both work, both have benefits, both have drawbacks, both will provide fantastic results.