Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

When I Smoke Weed My Throat Acts Weird

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by SmokingProblems420, Sep 16, 2014.

1. I’ve made this account just to share with whoever may still struggle with this problem and is curious if anyone else does. This sucks! I’ve been smoking MJ every day for the past 4-5 years and i’ve loved every moment of it. Until a few months ago where i took a decent sized bong rip, blew it out and minutes later i felt like i was breathing water like others would say “a frog”. I had shortness of breath and ever since i’ve felt this from smoking weed. Now everything is different when i smoke. About 10 minutes after i toke, it becomes harder for me to breath, feels like my throats gonna jump out my mouth, i have shortness of breath, lots of saliva in my throat and it’s hard to eat, drink, or even breath for like an hour. I’m not even sure if it’s worth smoking anymore, but I love it and am put face to face with MJ everyday... Can anyone provide an explanation to this? I don’t smoke tobacco, vape occasionally but not a lot.. I just want to have my smoke seshes back!!!

2. I think it's in your head. First time it happened you took a big bong rip. Probably the biggest of your life. Big rips like that will be rough on your lungs. Then after you get high again and worry yourself with the same issues and make yourself sick. Like a hypochondriac does. If it gets to the point you think you're going to die then call ems. They don't care if you're smoking weed. Must be some other underlying issues there. Not everyone is the same but I've been smoking budz and any form of thc for over 25 years and have never had any experience like that. One time was when that fake ass k2 came around. But never weed. I dont think using a different method will help. The feeling comes on because of the high not the method

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

3. I am getting the same same symptoms out of no where.. I smoked the same weed in morning was cool, enjoyed and at night 15min after smoking I felt these symptoms.. I wasn't able to breathe, felt like choking, had to take forceful breath from mouth, literally can't breathe from nose. I thought maybe this was just one so i tried the next day with just couple of puffs felt the same. I don't know why this happening to me, i've been smoking for 7-8 years never had this problem.. After quitting for 1 month still feeling that way. Please let me know if there is a cure, you guys able to smoke again??

4. So I have had the same experience that most have described in here recently. Maybe 3 weeks ago I smoked out of my bong, an 18 inch tube which I smoke daily atleast 5-6 time a day (one hit each), and I felt my throat begin to “tighten” like there’s a lump and pressure on the front side of my throat. Once this happens I think about it and my heart will race, and I may even begin to feel a little sick.

But there is sort of good news! This was bad for maybe the first few days, so like anyone else I slowed down. Maybe smoked 2-3 hits a day but also made sure they were much smaller than my normal pack which is probably somewhere between .1 and .15 grams. It definitely only happens or is worse when your high. Not any connection with tobacco or nicotine. I don’t smoke cigs or chop. Im bouncing around a lot but the point is after slowing down, and I think mainly getting your mind off of the subject, and also making sure to have a drink ready right after you smoke. You will notice the effects subside to atleast a tolerable amount or maybe even go away for that session. Not gonna lie i sort of felt my throat closing tonight but it was after I smoked repeadly after work. And I also didn’t freak out or feel sick it was more of an annoying persistent feeling. Instead of thinking about it try to take a walk and get some fresh air. I think hot showers also help get you feeling back to normal.

I’m still thinking about quitting but for now I’m working on doing everything else I can to try and get rid of this feeling in general. It feels like it’s honestly just another side affect of anxiety which probably was caused from exesssive smoking

5. However many years later still no answer. I thought it was smoking but even consuming edibles I still feel the symptoms. When I first experienced this I thought it was Covid. But clearly not. It’s either an allergic reaction to the weed or it’s in my head which i struggling going with as the symptoms are very real.

6. don’t know why there no answer to this it can’t be the smoking cause edibles feel the same symptoms. I do seem to have developed gastric reflux right about the time I started experiencing this symptoms I need answers

8. How are you getting on cause mine started this year out of nowhere and I was very certain it was Covid. But it clearly wasn’t. When I first experienced symptoms it was so intense so I stopped for months. I got back to smoking and only experienced milder symptoms which is not comfortable but felt manageable. I tried edibles and same thing. And with the anxiety issue never thought I had anxiety. Some have suggested it’s anxiety but I personally don’t feel anxious unless you can have anxiety without even knowing it. Just also feels very real as supposed to something in your head

I need answers

9. #69 *MasterChief420*, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2021
    All of this is just now happening to me. I thought i was having an allergic reaction to some tea i was drinking. So i stopped that. Then i thought it was a reaction to a OTC pill i was taking. So i stopped that. Still having it. I work out daily and keep myself in pretty good shape. Which makes me think its either anxiety which I deal with daily or my throat is creating more mucus due to a reaction from smoking. It would explain the not in my throat. I just bought mucus relief so im going to see if this helps. If not its probably all in my head.

10. I'm allergic to gmo !!
    for example gmo soy product

some people claim they are not !!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Guys just signed up to share my experience. So im facing these exact reactions for about 2 years now, been smoking for about 10 years now. Ive tried without tobacco same thing infact I find it a bit better to smoke with backy.

However I must say this my symptoms aren't as extreme as what most of you describe. It definitely causes quite a throat irritation, dryness and closing/tightening of the neck however mostly I'm able to breathe fine without much problem (so for some of you this maybe anxiety induced). But yes the feeling is discomforting but I've been managing with it it's always fine after about an hour and next day I feel alright.

Wish there was a proper explanation for this. I'm gonna research the allergy angle. Hope someone can throw more light on this we MUST find a solution!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Go see a doctor if you think you have a throat problem dude lol or even better stop smoking weed then you wouldn't get the throat problem.

13. Amazing how many people forget about the fact that those edibles exist. lol

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. My lungs feel great now that I don't inhale anything but air anymore. Its totally edibles for me.
    Its cheaper than smoking or vaping if you make your own, it lasts longer, and it's better for you.

I have asthma and scarring on one lung. I quit smoking joints in 2014, then quit vaping and just eat my meds over the last year. I miss the ritual a bit, and sharing with friends, but not carrying around stinky weed and vapes is freeing. I keep a tiny 10ml eye dropper bottle of strong infused mct oil in my glove box for just in case type situations. A dose is just a few drops under the tongue or on most any foods.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Contaminated cannabis

16. I think you all have GERD with a globus sensation. Check it out - smoking makes it feel terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hey guys, I found out what the problem was & I thought I'd post here just in case it can help someone.

I have LPR, also known as silent reflux, which is very similar to GERD/Acid reflux. Smoking anything, but especially cannabis, can trigger it. LPR is extremely common, but people end up thinking it's something else as silent reflux doesn't cause burning like heartburn, so you don't even realize you have acid rising up your esophagus (the acid fumes rise all the way into your sinuses & ear canal causing all sorts of other "mystery" symptoms). It's not "all in your head".

Attached is a picture of a list that shows what just some of the many symptoms of LPR & GERD are.

I hope this helps!

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. I know this post was from yearsssss back, but this is happening to me now and has been for about 4 months. I went from smoking a half/20 grams a day. Yes I know a lot. And now it hurts to even smoke 3 bowls at most. Any one have answers? This is starting to get really annoying and I just want to be able to have a normal smoke sesh again w out feeling like I’m dying.

19. Your trying to say you smoke TWENTY grams a day and you're wondering why you have trouble breathing/smoking?

durrrrrrrrrrrrr

20. Another one of these stupid ass threads?. If you can't figure out the correct way to smoke weed, ask your mommy and daddie. So many idiot teenagers posting dumbass questions.