Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

When I Smoke Weed My Throat Acts Weird

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by SmokingProblems420, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Hey guys!

I've 19, been smoking since I was 17 and loved every puff of it! I would get through school happy knowing when I get home I can sit back, blaze up and chill.
    Well this all changed recently.

About 4 months ago now, I was chilling with my home boys in my bedroom playing video games and we started smoking... and I remember thinking... shit I'm gonna die tonight. My chest felt tight, but more concerning my throat felt like it was closing up, I had shortness of breath. It's a little hard to describe exactly what happened, but ever since it happened that night it has never stopped happening when I try and get high.

It has truly ruined smoking for me.

I thought... right lets take a break. (I was smoking it every day at this point) 
    I stopped smoking weed for a month. I remember the day I went to smoke it again HOPING I'd feel good. 
    It happened again.

When my friends come round with a baggy, I smoke it anyway now, I've gotten used to it, and know I'm going to be fine the next day. Some days are worst than others. Sometimes it gets so bad I'm sick, and I panic that I'm going to die. This has only gotten this bad a few times, but literally every time I smoke weed my throat feels weird, closed up and swollen, with no visually signs of swelling. 

SO BASICALLY (TL;DR) 
    When I smoke with friends now, my throat feels like its swelling up/ closing up. 
    It's incredibly uncomfortable and worrying, but not exactly painful in anyway. 
    My breathing is a little shorter. And since I live with flatmates who smoke it every day, I still smoke it occasionally and try to put the bad feelings at the back of my head and enjoy myself.

I haven't fully enjoyed smoking weed like back 4 months ago and I would do absolutely anything for a reason why this is happening! Am I allergic? Is it anxiety? 
    I smoke 15/20 cigarettes a day and it doesn't cause a problem... just weed. 

Thank you in advance for absolutely any help. :)
    Peace!

2. what do you use to smoke?

3. Primarily roll ups with baccy. But I have the same problem when I smoke from a bong.
    Joints and the bong are the only ways I've ever smoked.

Thanks for the quick res response by the way! 

4. It is possible to have an allergic reaction, just saying.  But try smoking less, like 1 hit.  I been toking daily for 5+ years, 1 hit is all I need.

5. #5 Lenny., Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

maybe you are taking giant mega hits or something.. do you do this? have you tried taking small hits?

just noticed you said you smoke cigarettes. this could be the culprit. when you smoke joints with tobacco and are taking large hits this could have an effect, but I couldn't tell you for sure. i smoke straight weed and have never had this problem. 

what kind of tobacco do you use

6. It's the tobacco that is making your throat swell.

7. #7 SmokingProblems420, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014

Well we pack the joints more than the average I'd say, but I rarely use the bong. But yeah I take pretty big hits when I do. 

So would you recommend me try smoking blunts? I very rarely smoke weed without tobacco, when I do it seems a lot harsher... but I will try that if you recommend.

Thanks for the response. 

Oh And I smoke cheap baccy, Turner. 50g. People go abroad, buy it cheap and sell to me.
    Or sometimes I buy drum from the shop

I'll keep that in mind. Cheers

8. Yeah, lose the tobacco. That shit will fuck up your health more than you can imagine......

• Agree Agree x 1
    I have been considering quitting for a while now anyway, I guess this will help motivate me! 

• Like Like x 2
  10. I smoke cigs, used to mix with bud, poppers, joints.  Quit mixing around a year ago and seems my 'lungs' are better now.  I continue to smoke daily but rarely cough and always feel good.

It never even occurred to me mixing bud and tobacco was bad. I was brought up with people who only smoke like this! 
    Thanks for the post! :)

i do not recommend blunts. they would be worse for you in this situation. 

what i do recommend, like others are saying, is lose the tobacco. smoke pure weed out of a bong and see if it doesn't help... 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks man I'll defiantly try this. 

Thanks everyone for replying, I didn't think anyone would reply to be honest, I'll have to keep this forum bookmarked!  :metal:

14. Both my lifelong smoker parents died of lung cancer....dad 67, mom 72.....have 2 friends right now, one has COPD and has to have an inhaler and oxygen tank to breathe...the other has inoperable throat cancer...has to be fed by a tube....Copd guy is 56, throat dude is 61....quitting tobacco will have the most positive effect on your life of anything you can ever do.......good luck..........

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wow. That's terrible. 
    I'm stopping today for sure... :/
    Thanks

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. DIRECTOR: Ok, scene one act three.......and ACTION!

NOSE: I can smell!
    EYES: We can see!
    THROAT: Gurgle gurgle gurgle

DIRECTOR:  CUT!!!! What the hell is all this gurglin? Thats not good acting. That acting weird. I'll have to find another throat for this scene......

17. #17 SmokingProblems420, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
    Hi guys,
    So I just had a bong, bit of a wake and bake, thought I'd try out the bong, pure weed to see if it gives me the symptoms....
    IT HAS. 
    Like 5x worse than normal actually. 

I just puked air...if that makes sense, I feel like I'm going to be sick.
    My whole neck feels weird. I can struggle to spit, I have like no salava just mucus if I do spit.

I just generally feel like my throat is coming out my mouth, its freaking me out. I'm shaking.

I'm stopping today anyway.

Pray for me xD Shittt 

I'll check out replys tomorrow (if I get any)  if I read it now I'll get paranoid. :)

PS: Every time I make myself cough, I start gagging, then puking air... probably mucus sick at some point,

18. Ok so after that dreadful session, I can confirm smoking weed just isn't for me.
    Shortly after posting that above^ I had a panic attack, it lasted a good 2 hours intill I fell asleep with a bucket.

I shall miss Mary Jane, and I will always love her. But for now my sweet love, we have to go our seperate ways.
    I guess its destiny. 
    You'll always have a place in my heart. 

Peace. (4 eva.)
    Lyk if u cri eri tim. :(
    RIP.

19. how much do put in your bowl? there only been a few times ive had problems with my throat and and on each occasion ive took a super fat bong rips without any ice cubes inside my bong so that might be the issue but idk everyone is different i guess . hope you find a solution bud

20. same thing happened to me its the cigs your lungs are weak bro

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum