When does flowering begin

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by buschmaster18, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Say a strain says 8 weeks flowering period. Does this mean 8 weeks from 12/12 or 8 weeks after flowers show?

2. well you need to research. a very simple question google would have known. but... it means it will be ready for harvest 8 weeks after you put it into flower. you put a plant in flower by switching the lights to 18 6.

3. If you can flower under 18-6 you must have a super strain that no one else has. I think you mean 12/12. But you still answered my question. As soon as you flip to 12/12

4. There is alot of confusion about this and using google gives no clear answer. Put simply the actual flowering time/period is from when first pistol formation starts, not from 12/12 switch.

Regards to the flowering time they state on seed banks, I ain't sure, can someone chime in on this?

5. Correct. Flowering is a plant life stage, not a timer setting.

6. what these blades said..i think this is one of the biggest mistakes made by new growers..counting from 12/12 switch..and harvest too early..always check the trich's:smoke:

7. #7 magestik63, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
    so if i have the lights on 24/0 if i change to 14/10 will that cause flowering?

or is it the change of dark being longer than the light?

8. Yup, and just for planning purposes you can count on flowering to start 7 to 10 days after the switch to 12/12. If your plants aren't showing pistils after day 10 of 12/12 you need to look for a light leak.

9. Set your lights to 12 on / 12 off when you're trying to start flowering. 14/10 probably won't do it.

Once flowering is well underway some people sneak it back up to 13/11 under the theory that the extra hour of light = bigger buds, but I'd wait until I had a grow or two under my belt before getting cute.

10. i use 12/12 but im interested in that theory i think i will give it a shot next time around

11. i believe i remember reading somewhere that when in flower the most resin/thc production happens during the dark period

12. You know I just re-read your question and I see that I missed the point on my first response. You're asking if going 24/0 to 14/12 would be just as effective at starting flower as going from 18/6 to 12/12.

My new answer is I don't know, but I'm doubtful. I've never heard of anyone doing this and that makes me think it probably wouldn't work, or else people probably would be doing it and we'd all be wading through threads of growers arguing over which method was superior.

Though in the spirit of full disclosure, I have heard some growers report that plants are a little more responsive to the switch to 12/12 when they were vegged at 24/0 as opposed to 18/6.

13. So to be clear on this, the flowering time they state on seed banks for strains is from first flower formation?

14. the 8 weeks they say is just an estimate maybe yours will finish in 7 weeks or maybe even 10 weeks you can never be sure unless you check the trichs and from my experience seed banks usualy put the estimate a bit lower than the actual flower time

15. To be clear it doesn't really matter as plants are done when they are done. We all want to know the exact time they will be done and the way to do that has been stated. Most plants take 2 weeks longer then stated. It is called marketing because when u got them would u pick something that said it would be done it 12 weeks? Most people have realized it takes a couple weeks more then stated.

Other then that watch the plant, buy a a scope, and test a few along the way to be sure it is too your liking.

16. remember on all breeder info on stains...this was under :smoke:perfect conditions...grow by professional growers..best case ...most of us dont have those conditions

17. #17 sxgrower, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
    That's correct.

Though just to mess with your head, as deacon states above, your mileage may vary.

18. To really mess with your head, if you ask the breeders or seedbanks they will tell you to start counting from when you flip to 12/12. Why would they say that if it's "wrong"?

A couple of reasons. First, if you ask further, they will tell you that their timetable assumes you have vegged out the plant long enough that it is showing pre-flowers, so that at the time you flip to 12/12 you truly are into flowering already. But the other reason is competition -- the breeders know that growers want the fastest turnaround possible, so which would you buy, the seeds that say 8 weeks from flip or the seeds that say 8 weeks from 1-2 weeks after the flip? So the breeders feel they have to make their timeframes sound as short as possible because all the other breeders do it.

Nonetheless, the true answer is that flowering is a plant life stage not a timer setting. Think about outdoor grows, where you don't flip any lights, when would an outdoor plant be considered "flowering"? When it's showing flowers of course. For your indoor grow the plant doesn't know that it's indoors so the rule isn't any different. You need to make sure the actual hormonal reaction to flowering is under way and showing externally before you can consider the plant is "flowering."

19. exactly what toasty said..its all in the spin:smoke:

20. Thanks for the info. I wasn't going to just chop it down once it hits 8 weeks exactly, i know to check trics. So thanks for the input. My question was sorely for estimation as all i can do is sit back and watch :). There are pre flowers before the flip to 12/12. So weather or not its 8 weeks from flip or from first flower formation was what i was wondering. Also for the final flush was why i was wondering. JUst trying to plan i guess. THanks for the input.