When does California vote on pot legalization?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Deleted member 247773, Jan 12, 2010.

1. #1 Deleted member 247773, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
    delete

2. Legalization!!! Assembly Bill 390. If it passes then no vote in Nov. If it doesn't then we still have Nov. Check the links in my sig!

3. There is supposed to be a vote tomorrow (Jan. 12) in the Committee on Public Safety on Tom Ammiano's AB 390. If it makes it out of that committee, the Public Health Committee votes on it next. After that, I don't know how long it would take to make it to a vote of the whole Assembly.
    In November, there is at least one ballot initiative on legalization. It may be that that vote ends up happening sooner than the final voting on AB 390.
    If you go to NORML's website you can catch up on all of it (and what is happening in other states, too.)

4. #4 Deleted member 247773, Jan 12, 2010
    delete

5. I wouldn't be too excited about this. The probability of it going through is nearly none. Even so, I'm happy they are even talking about the possibility of legalizing it at this point! Besides, the bill that the people will be voting on in November is better than this bill anyone from my understanding. If this one does pass though, that would be awesome. The vote in November would still happen though because the terms of both bills are different, so the people may prefer the bill that they will vote on in November as opposed to the bill that the committees will vote on tomorrow. I believe the bill in November has a huge shot at passing. Let's hope it does! It's a while away though, so I'm not getting too excited yet.:rolleyes:

6. AB 390 intends to treat it sort of like alcohol, so it should end up being about that easy.

If you are a California resident, PLEASE contact your assembly member TODAY to express your support for AB 390. NORML's website has a really easy way to do it automatically.

7. I think Tree_Moker is right about the relative chances of these two options. I think a lot of legislators are still locked into prohibition mindsets and are too politically cowardly to break out of it, but the initiative only needs a majority vote by the public, and supposedly over 50% of the public supports legalization.
    I do expect that anti-legalization forces will do a dishonest, scare-tactic ad blitz before November. We will need to counter that as best we can, and of course EVERYONE needs to get off their butt and vote in November.

8. #8 Deleted member 247773, Jan 12, 2010
    delete

9. The November vote is ballot initiative, so YOU are voting on it! (If you are a registered Cali voter, that is...)

10. #10 Deleted member 247773, Jan 12, 2010
    delete

11. I am actually making a video for television on the legalization of Marijuana. My main point of the film is to show someone who is completely drunk compared to high.

Even though I have a med card, it would be nice for everyone else to be legal...

12. Good luck to everyone on the West coast, I hope this will be a landslide victory. Sadly being on the North East I will not be able to benefit or participate in the vote. Maybe other state will finally open their eyes and we can finally get this prohibition based on government idiocy a rest.

Who knows maybe soon Cali will have a new resident, Mary Jane, and if that's the case I might travel there myself :)

13. what time and does anyone have a video link to where we can watch the vote for legalization in Cali go down today? thanks and good luck california!!

14. Is AB390 a ballot initiative? Or is only the Nov Bill one? What are the differences?

15. I'm not sure of the exact differences. Probably the quantity you can have, how much you can grow (if it all), and some other differences in regulation. They both pretty much do the same thing though which is make marijuana legal to possess for adults of the age 21 and older. It's how the regulation will be handled which is different in the bills.

16. The one being voted on today is Assembly Bill 390 (AB 390). It 1st gets voted on in 2 sub committees then goes to the state assembly and then to the senate and finally the Governator! No public vote needed if all the politicians vote the way the people want them to and not with their own opinions like they are not supposed to do! FUCKIN' POLITICIANS always have their own agendas!!!

If this passes then it won't legal until Jan 1, 2011. The ballot measures in Nov. will most definitely make it legal since the voters will make it law and that might actually be a faster process for it. We'll see!!

Going to try and find Video of the voting in the sub-committee!

17. im listening to this right now and it just makes me irate to hear some of these people speak. How many times do we have to hear about the social harms of alcohol? we are not talking about alcohol here, we are talking about marijuana. The costs of social impact will be close to nothing compared to alcohol. Also it makes me incredibly angry that the heads of police are allowed to have their say. These are the people that stand to make the most money from the illegality of marijuana besides the cartels. Also i cant stand to hear about how marijuana itself ruins lives. You know what ruined my life? being caught and prosecuted three times for marijuana, not the marijuana itself. Had i not spend thousands of dollars on lawyers I would not be in college or have the job i have now.

The arguments made here are incredibly offensive.

18. I agree!! This is the old school of thought here, and all this Marijuana is addictive is so much bullshit! They fail to realize that millions of Californians already smoke, they act like nobody smokes it now and if legalized, then everybody will! WHAT! These people are so closed minded it is amazing!