When Do You Guys Think Marijuana Prohibition Will Be Completately Over?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by marijuanashrooms401, Jun 7, 2013.

1. The war on drugs has obviously failed and weed is so low risk I think a lot of people have realized this now and that it should be treated like alcohol but when will it be completely legal everywhere 

2. Never. Americas gone to shit and dug a big hole. I'm an optimistic person but I have no faith in my country.

3. 2nd that motion.

4. I'm a pessimist and i still think it'll be over eventually. Clearly not for all drugs but I think the war on weed will be over in the next 20 years. 

5. Not in your lifetime

6. It only took 12 states to overturn alcohol prohibition. We already have 2 with wash. and co.  and several states are voting on this matter in 2014.  I'm saying, and I am by no means an optimist, that it will end within 10 years.  The money, which is a main motivator in lots of gov't offices local and fed, will change peoples minds when they see what Co. and Wash. pull in.

7.  20 Years lmao...Ok .

8. #8 JoeVullion13254, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
    Never. Anyone who thinks marijuana legalization is inevitable now should know that way back in the 1970s, people also thought legalization was right around the corner. Back then, there was a period of tolerance with 11 states decrim and Jimmy Carter campaigning that he would legalize marijuana. None of that happened. The federal decrim bill died. The anti drug movement began and Reagan came and it was a perfect storm against the movement. Marijuana was no longer separated from cocaine and heroin as a safer alternative in the average Americans minds and drugs were just "drugs". The war on drugs began. Everyone believed all the new lies against marijuana. Polling for making marijuana legal fell into the single digits when in the 70s half the country thought it should be legal. Alaska legalized marijuana back then only to recriminalize it in 1990. Marijuana went from mainstream, to as fringe as nambla.

The SAME exact thing is happening now regarding marijuana and the politics of it. Blowback against this reform movement could happen at anytime except there wont be a recovery like we got in the 90s and 2000s. 

9. I'm stubborn and don't like the new GC (yet), but here are my thoughts.

Politics is driven by money, obviously. We all know that, it's corrupt as fuck, whatever. That's not news to anyone.
    However, they are vote whores. With 19 (? including illinois?) medical states now + DC, and 2 fully legalized, with more states decriminalizing every month (congratulations to Vermont), people are obviously realizing that cannabis is not bad. The rest of our obese country can call us lazy while they're sitting in front of the tv for 6 hours eating tv tray dinners, I don't care. They might still look down on us for smoking at first, but they recognize that no one (typically shortly after their children/relatives get arrested for half a gram) deserves their life ruined over a plant.

ANYWAY, 2016 will be a major election. Presidential candidates will be asked about medical marijuana. With almost half of the states having legalized it, it will be important. Assuming that some medical progress is made within the next few years and more enlightenment / "common sense" is spread, I wouldn't be surprised to optimistically see cannabis as a socially accepted and perhaps fully legal thing shortly after the 2020 elections. Keep in mind that this isn't moving linearly. It's picking up momentum moreso than slowing down or keeping at the same rate.

Keep politely correcting people when they say something ignorant, talk about cannabis (if it won't get you fired) calmly and casually as if it were the same as tobacco, and keep promoting Granny's list. We'll get there.

10. The state of American politics is dire. Congress canot pass the most simple, logical legislation. Our tax code is a disgrace and even though good solutions exist, congress cannot fix it because of lobbiests stalemating the debate. Social issues are even worse. Republicans fight any pro social agenda and continue to refight issues already resolved. Democrats are not any better only they tend to be more open to social change. I have stated this before, legalization will be fought in the STATES. The ONLY way to force the Federal Gov to act is by setting an example in the states. States CAN get things done. Some states may never get a legalization scheme passed because they are legislated by people who have an embedded belief that God is anti pot. Bible belt states (such as mine) still have counties where alcohol is still illegal to purchase. (dry counties) These states will most likely never see the light, and will continue to attack non violent lawbreakers and ruin their lives, regardless of the fact they are supposed to be pro family, compassionate types. This is America. My solution is to move to a state that will allow me to live out my days with dignity having no fear of arrest/incarceration, but I am aging and have no fight left. I am a victim of a Red State mentality that would rather ruin a person rather than look at the damage their anti pot stance does to families, communities, and personal dignity...never mind the financial damage fighting these bastards causes. Therefore, my answer to the post is a sad... not in my lifetime.

11. The state of American politics is dire. Congress canot pass the most simple, logical legislation. Our tax code is a disgrace and even though good solutions exist, congress cannot fix it because of lobbiests stalemating the debate. Social issues are even worse. Republicans fight any pro social agenda and continue to refight issues already resolved. Democrats are not any better only they tend to be more open to social change. I have stated this before, legalization will be fought in the STATES. The ONLY way to force the Federal Gov to act is by setting an example in the states. States CAN get things done. Some states may never get a legalization scheme passed because they are legislated by people who have an embedded belief that God is anti pot. Bible belt states (such as mine) still have counties where alcohol is still illegal to purchase. (dry counties) These states will most likely never see the light, and will continue to attack non violent lawbreakers and ruin their lives, regardless of the fact they are supposed to be pro family, compassionate types. This is America. My solution is to move to a state that will allow me to live out my days with dignity having no fear of arrest/incarceration, but I am aging and have no fight left. I am a victim of a Red State mentality that would rather ruin a person rather than look at the damage their anti pot stance does to families, communities, and personal dignity...never mind the financial damage fighting these bastards causes. Therefore, my answer to the post is a sad... not in my lifetime.

12. #12 floating_by, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
    Are you still expecting this turn of events to come from our government? Then, NEVER.

If you think that jury nullification will spread, like it did with alcohol prohibition, then I'd say 5 years.

But I don't see enough people thinking in a way that takes away the corrupted power of the government with the last stop-gap to power that the founding fathers included: jury nullification.

THAT, is what ended alcohol prohibition. Too much money to be made with prohibition. Legal status be damned.

The "Affordable Care Act" (Obamacare) is going to change the landscape a TON, however. 2014 is going to be a CRAZY year. Too many opportunities to control human behavior to gain access to health care in the legislation.
    It concerns me greatly.

13. when the corporation is destroyed

we live in a corporate world where the value of money is more important than the value of people. keep killing us with pharmaceuticals, alcohol, and tobacco when weed is the medicine we really need legalized

14. Damn straight. Another warning from the founding fathers was corporations. And political parties. And inflationary/deflationary money policy. And... lol!