When buying an ATV...

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by imyourcat, Oct 1, 2011.

1. I recently bought a Banshee and I didn't like it. I ended up selling it for what I paid and used the money to buy a 350 Raptor. I've been riding it for the past couple months and I'm starting to get bored of it.

I already crashed my parents sportsman and did a bunch of damage to the Raptor costing me a total of $2200 and I got fucked over on the taxes when I bought my Raptor. The lady sold it for $2800 and wrote the bill of sale for $1000 (which I paid taxes on) and when the tax man called she said she sold it for $2800. I got nailed with tax on $2800 and a $305 fine on top of the previous tax I paid. Long story short I've been getting screwed all year long.

Now before I go and buy a 660 Raptor I want to know what to look for before purchasing or what to check. Should I check compression and if so how do I do it? I really can't afford to get screwed again. Any help would be appreciated.

2. to check compression there's a special gauge that screws in were the spark plug goes, that's all i really know. I suggest you call up your local yamaha.

3. Thanks, yeah, I have a compression tester I just wasn't sure where to connect it.

4. #4 Eric111E, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2011
    Also check to see if the handle bars look bent at all, and the front wheels dont look bent inwards at all.
    Check the undercarriage of the bike for any damage, check the frame, check the A-arms, life the front of the bike and check for any play in the handle bars, grad each wheel and try to move it in every direction seeing if there is any play if there is it could mean there is possible wheel bearing or ball joint damage. Same for both front and back wheels.
    Check the brakes, and check the air box to see if there is any evidence of water being in the air box at one point. Check the chain and sprocket for any rust on the chain or bent teeth on the sprocket.
    Ride the 4 wheeler around for a little while, check acceleration, check to see if there is any hesitation.

I got a 660 raptor too, good choice. If your in Florida I got a deal for you.

5. Thanks Eric.

When I do a compression test on an electric start motor is it the same as a kick start? I just warm up the bike, turn it off, connect the compression tester, hold the throttle wide open and touch the electric start?

And I thought the front wheels were supposed to be toed in?

6. Yeah your right, they should be toed in slightly.
    I think it should be very minimal though, I was trying to find out exactly how much and I read anywhere from 3/16" to 1/8". On my raptor they are toed in more than that and its because I think I wrecked it and bent a a-arm. Thats what I mean by that, if they are toed in too much it could mean it was crashed

7. Checked it out earlier today, seems to be all good. No warps in the frame or a arms. I checked the tires and handle bars for play and there wasn't any. Buddy just put on new sprockets and a chain. The throttle response is dead on and lots of power. Popped a wheelie dumping the clutch into first and she pops wheelies like nothing in 2nd and 3rd.

I think I'll be buying it tomorrow. He's towing it to my place. Here's the add if you're interested in seeing it.

limited edition yamaha raptor 660

It looks a lot better when you see it up close and personal. Some of the plastics are carbon fiber.

8. why are you spending so much money on ATVs?

9. Well I already explained everything in my OP. The first bike I bought was a 99 Banshee and I had this gut feeling that something was wrong with it so I sold it quick and got my money back. Turns out a couple weeks later the lower end went.

I used that cash and pulled out some more to buy an 06 Raptor 350. I rode it for a week not knowing the adjusters were broken on the rear axle and I ended up blowing out the bolts snapping my chain and bending the sprockets which resulted in the $1200 bill plus the $1000 bill for repair after crashing my parents sportsman.

I'm buying the 660 now and selling my 350 because I want more power and speed.

10. Raptor 660s are soooo fun.

11. I had a 2000 yamaha banshee... was the funnest ATV I've ever been on. Had some nice upgrades from the previous owner which helped...

12. #12 Mastertokes2.0, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2011

Word, my buddy has a 700 raptor and its crazy fast. I prefer 4x4 quads myself but sport quads are still bad ass.

13. I dont know much about quads but if i were to buy one i would stop buy a local dealer. tell them you are looking at quads from a private party and what to look for so you dont get burned. If the dealer is a dick you know to go somewhere else if you ever need parts.

14. I ended up buying the 660 I looked at previously on Monday. Since then I have noticed a few problems. The front headlights and rear taillight are missing bolts and one of the headlights is taped on. I also noticed that the handlebars are bent as fuck. I can't believe I didn't notice that earlier...

Other than that I haven't had any problems. The bike engine and everything is 100% stock. There is one thing worrying me though. I keep hearing a chatter in the front of the bike coming somewhere from under the handlebars. Any idea what it could be?

15. The bike was probably crashed if the handle bars are bent.
    Does the chatter get louder when you rev the bike up?
    Its hard to tell you what it could be without being there to see and hear it for myself.
    Maybe check and make sure all the bolts are tight, that could be the noise your hearing

16. #16 imyourcat, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2011
    Yeah I imagine the bike was rolled. The chatter actually goes away when I rev the bike. I think I figured it out. I haven't been reving the bike probably, for example, I've been going too slow in 3rd gear thus causing the chatter.

I've been paying close attention and I think that was part of the problem but there is still a chatter there. It could be a loose bolt.. I'll have to check this weekend.

As far as the bent handle bars go, how would I fix that? Or would I be better off buying some new ones?

I was practicing wheelies today haha. Almost rolled it a few times myself. And last night one of my buddies wanted to race on his dirt bike and I smoked him. I'm so happy with this purchase. Raptor 660's kick and haul ass.

17. #17 Eric111E, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2011
    Yeah man the raptors are some badass 4 wheelers. They paved all the roads around me so theres hardly anywhere I can go close to my house now. But every once in a while Im lookin for a adrenaline rush and I take the raptor out on the main road by my house and open it up. I probably get up somewhere around the low 80's and just fly past cars. Luckily no cops have seen me yet. That shits scary though going that fast with some knobby sand tires on a paved road, but I get my fix.

How are the handle bars bent? Is the metal actually bent or can you loosen the clamp and re-adjust them?
    You might wanna check for any loose bolts, or you can take off the cam cover and inside you'll see the decompression assembly and try to shake it and see if it makes any noise. Mine broke one time and I could hear a rattling coming from the topend of the engine.
    But I have a better feeling your rattling might be coming from the valves. If they're too loose they will rattle.

18. Haha, yeah man. Nothing better than flying down the highway, 6th gear, full throttle. I told myself I wouldn't race down the highway with this bike because I didn't want to fuck the tires but I just can't help myself. I love when a car comes up behind me and I'm just like "Peace bro" rip through the gears and I'm gone.

It's one hell of an adrenaline rush that's for sure. My heart is always pounding after a ride. I haven't really taken a close look at the handlebars. I just noticed it the other day. I'll have to pop off the plastics and take a peek. I think you're right about the valves too. I've been told that by a few people now. I'll have to go through the manual and figure out how to adjust them.

So what are you riding on anyways? If you have a pic throw it up.

19. I got a 04 660 on razr 2's, a yoshimura exhaust, jetted carb, gytr intake, and a bunch of gytr cosmetic parts. I was going to start upgrading the engine, but I stopped riding because they made all the places around here illegal to ride in, or you gotta get all kinds of permits and bullshit like that.
    I got the raptor apart now, the floats in the carb were stickin because my needle jets are fucked up, so the bike was leaking gas out of the carb overflows. And when I would try to do a wheelie the bike would stall because of the floats. So im gonna order a carb rebuild kit.
    Once I get it back together I'll take a picture and post it. I gotta find a camera too.
    These days I just ride the bike around the neighborhood pissin everyone off.

20. But yeah I'd check the valves. Even if its not the problem it can still increase the bikes performance