what's wrong with this young plant?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by keitanakano, Jun 19, 2010.

1. all the others have the same soil- no problems.

and they can grow up to some reasonable size inside the cups.

this plant was sick from the beginning, has improved a little, but still looks unhealthy.

could it be a weak seed?

Attached Files:

• sick.jpg
      sick.jpg
      File size:
      125.3 KB
      Views:

2. Very difficult to say without more info, I think a 'weak' seed is unlikely. ;) I suspect user error. ;):) Most sick plants are down to user error. :smoke:

Your seedlettes are very stretchy, I recommend that you transplant and bury some of that stem on each plant. Get a fan blowing gently on them too. :) You probably need to either move your lights closer or get more light.

Feel free to provide more info and then we can help with the sick girl. :) :wave:

3. no all the others developed normally.
    some stretch, some others stay compact.
    i have many different strains here...

and lights are 230W CFL, 24/0 with breaks now and then.

Attached Files:

4. Oh ok, in the first pic I couldn't see any that were as old or any compact ones, that's why it's good to have all relevent info to start with. :)

Even so, you should be able to prevent that stretch. Do you just have the one bulb? 230w for how many plants? and how far away from the canopy are the lights:)

Also, what soil are you using?

5. no many small bulbs, about 80cm height above the plants, with reflector.

soil is fresh potting soil from supermarket, it has nutrients for 2 months.

all my seedlings show stretch, maybe due to 24/0 light?

but later on they grow normally.
    they go outdoors soon anyway! but I have lost 20+ seedlings due to slugs.

that sick seedling is from the previous generation, most of them are outdoors now.

6. Defo get the light closer man, cfls can be just a few inches from the top of the plant, this is why your plants develop fine when they get taller, it's just that by then they have spindly stems.

I have seen successful grows with that sort of stuff, but not many. :( In many cases the pre ferted soil is too hot for baby seedlings and burns them, it looks like that coulda happened to your sick girl. Some strains will find the soil harder to cope with than others. Recommend good organic soil, add your own nutes when they are old enough. :)

7. I can't move the CFLs, they are mounted on a bamboo grid, which is somehow fixed into the cabinet at the top.

maybe I should add another PET bottle with 40W CFL?

and I think about to buy some coco, and mix it with the soil 1:1, and repot that sick plant. but it's messy, getting more bags of soil all the time...

8. Put the plants up on someething then, time to get creative. ;)

More light is always a ggood idea. :)

That's growing in soil for ya. ;) One of the many reasons I went hydro.:smoke:

9. My guess would be your roots don't have enough room. Your roots most likely don't have any more room to grow so it is affecting your plant. Repot all of your plants in to larger grow mediums. Happy growing and good luck :D

10. hmm it looks people don't read previous threads, so again, i explain:

the plants go outdoors after 3 weeks

here the other plants:
    birdseed_hemp - Photobucket Groups
    and u can see they do grow well in the cups

and what's up with repotting, don't you guess i am actually doing this?
    and it can be seen on the pictures as well.

this one plant is just sick from the beginning.

by the way using plastic cups is not my own invention, i saw a picture of a mexican guy having some 100 or so of these cups, each of the cups having a small MJ plant in them.

i bought some coco (a brick), and 2 more 20 watts CFLs, in order to improve the grow cabinet.

i was thinking, you'd know the type of disease from the picture, i think it has some kind of disease, a week ago it was smelling bad as well.

11. I don't know what that dude was on about really, your pots are fine.

If you want further opinion on that one plant I suggest you read the sticky at the top of this forum, it tells you all the specifics that you need to include to help us diagnose, very difficult without all that info and you end up with unhelpful responses, see above.

12. What type of medium; soil or hydro? fresh soil
    What brand and type of soil? generic, peat based, with nutrients for startup
    Indoors or outdoors? indoors, stealth cabinet, high temperature
    What strain? various, lowryder, lebanese red, mazar i sharif, a few purple haze/swazi (but these were eaten by slugs outdoors)
    new generation is early special, bubble gum, misty, and aurora indica.

How old are the plants? the one in question is about 2 or 3 weeks old, and far behind the others.
    What type of lights and how many watts? CFL, 230W, 24 hours with breaks
    How far from the lights? about 60 cm
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? tap water every few days
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? nothing
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? unknown
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? about 30 degrees, high humidity, most plants do well see the album, no problems at all
    What size pots? various, this is just for startup. when the plants really flush (some grow very fast), i transfer to larger tray/container.
    Any bugs? Look real close. no bugs at all
    Any other pertinent info? i bought two more CFLs today, and coco, will mix down the soil of that plant

OK here ya go all the info as requested

13. and here a new picture of the sick plant.
    [​IMG]
    it smells normal now so i guess it has already improved.
    roots inside the cup were not much developed but OK, white, with fine hairs.

now it has soil/coco mix, and more than enough space to expand roots.