What's wrong with my babys?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by rangerdragonslayer, Dec 16, 2018.

1. The temp is 82
    Water temp 78
    Ppm 400~
    Ph6.7
    Lights 450 watt dimmable led light @ 2 feet
    They just seem to be wilting or am I over reacting?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. How old are they? Are the roots submerged? What's the humidity?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3. water temp to high
    PPM to high
    PH to high
    You are pouring nutes across the leaves, I can see the saltz on the leaves

4. #4 rangerdragonslayer, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Like a week old. I'll drop everything. Temp is usually 78 water 81 air. Ppm and ph I can change.
    Roots are in a green starter cube.. the water just touches bottom of the net. The roots do not leave the net but the cubes stay wet.

5. Are you preventing the roots from going into the nutrient solution?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. #6 rangerdragonslayer, Dec 16, 2018
    I keep enough water in it so when it bubbles the bubbles hit the roots. Today it's gotten worse.[​IMG]

7. #7 rangerdragonslayer, Dec 16, 2018
    Heres the water level in the res.
    Ph 6.4
    Ppm 370
    I just added 2 bottles of water in from the top to make sure the rockwook got soaked.
    Light is still at 2 feet (450 watt)
    Can that be more effective?[​IMG]

8. #8 rangerdragonslayer, Dec 16, 2018
    I lowered the lights to about 16 inches is that too much light ?

I'm thinking of flushing it with pure distilled water. I'm currently using spring water with nutes

9. I can see my dude HD is on point with pouring soup over the leaves. Can't do that when the lights are on, that'll kill the heck out of your leaves. Liquid(water especially) acts like a prism when it's on a flat surface like that, and any light that passes through it is magnified and intensified, it'll burn your leaves bad if you do it too much. I notice it if I get even a drop on mine.

I see some green on top of your pebbles too, that's algae because the top stays too wet with the light on it. Your soup level should be something like an inch or two below the net pot and if you have to top-feed the little guys until their roots drop, then you can. I personally run a bubble-bucket type system where my soup is pumped up and around and then a hose waters my girls for me. Top-feed is okay though, nothing wrong with it at all.

If you're using rockwool, you don't want it to be moist all the time of all the days. It needs to dry out for oxygen to get in to the roots until the roots are able to dip into the aerated soup below. Wilting like that can be either over or under watering, but judging from the algae I just mentioned too, I'm willing to bet it's over-watering.

10. #11 rangerdragonslayer, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    The green is the starter cube I'll push those lower into the net cups. I did not know that about the water! I thought it would help. I hope. This flush will help turn this around. Do you think the lights are too close? 450 wat led @18 inches?

I thought the cubes had to stay wet but the water was oxygenated.. that's what I thought dwc was.
    But now I see its watering the cubes then drying them, and Its only when the roots hit that get the effects of dwc?

11. Yeah basically without being submersed in the nute soup the roots are dependent on you to water them. That's why you do actually water them a bit first, houseplant-like. Like water, let it dry a bit, water, etc. Similar to how in soil you water, let the soil dry a bit for oxygen penetration, water again, etc.

Once the roots hit the soup which is oxygenated, that's when you don't have to water it from the top anymore. The oxygen is already dissolved in the soup, so the plant literally has everything it needs right there and can remain submersed within the soup. Also, be very careful about your res temp and use hydroguard or sm90 or whatever you like. Root rot will kill your plants quick fast and in a hurry. I use frozen water bottles to keep my res temp down.

12. There not dead yet but not looking better. I know it will take a few days IF they bounce back.. I just read hydro ph is supposed to be 5 to 5.5? That's really low.. I was usually around 6.5-7..
    I'm not adding nutes until they bounce back. Ill look into the root rot guard stuff.. my water is at 73 degrees.
    I freeze distilled water and add the distilled cubes that's how I add water to the tank.[​IMG]

Also I was running 24-0 I'm backing down to 18-6 now. There autoflowers tho so I figure there good for 24 on.

13. Soil and Hydro PH is very different, in Hydro it's much better for the soup to be more acidic than in soil. It's weird to me too, but it's just how it works. The perfect is like 5.5-5.8, which means your actual window is something like 5.2 to 6.2, so anywhere in between is good. I tend to lower mine down to 5.something and then just let the PH shift on its own from there. I'm adding in new nutes just about every other day to mine now, so unlike in veg it doesn't have much time to get into the bucket and then suddenly omg it's gone from 5.2 to 4.8 or gone from 5.8 to 6.5 lol.

Also be careful with letting a lot of light into your tote, that'll cause root rot/algae in your res. Once those plants get big I can promise the last thing in the world you wanna do is have to eff with any of'em or take apart everything in the res to clean root rot or algae out.

14. My tote is solid black. I had a grow that ended with root rot and I will avoid that at all costs. It looks like 1 will not make it and 2 will hopefully come back.

I feel like this light is a lot of power to be so close to the plants. Is it possible to over light them? Or do they just burn if it's to hot?[​IMG]

15. 2 ft is 24 inches, on a 450w LED you'll want to back that on up a good bit at that age of the plant, or dim them if you can. It'd be better to dim it and bring the light closer, but, if you can't adjust it just back the light up some more. I would look at 30-48" away, depending on which they best respond to. I don't know much about autoflowers though, you may want to look around for an autoflower thread where someone grows them a lot and ask your questions there my friend.

16. Thank you. My light has 150 red 150 blue and 150 white and its dimmable. I did all to about 50% at 24 inches. Hopefully they come back.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. That should help some. If they were healthy plants and drinking it I'd have said f it leave it, but that's a lot of light at 24" lol!

18. Lights at 26
    Ph6 ppm 400~ and that's after nutes

I did ph down, then added nutes and had to use ph up afterwords. Next time I wont make that mistake. Lost one of the babys. Other 2 looking like they will be fine.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Oh yeah those will survive. I'm sorry you lost the one girl, my cats ate one of my seedlings day before yesterday and I was fucked up for a few hours over a fucking sprout lol. Fucked my day all up. When they're small like that and you're having to top-water, make sure you either water in a way that the water doesn't get all over the leaves. I don't remember if I mentioned that earlier, but it acts like a magnifying glass and it'll fry your leaves.

Those girls are coming on along though. I like seeing that.