Whats Up With Some Strain Names?

Discussion in 'General' started by 420RaiseIt, May 23, 2014.

1. I think it's good from a scientific point of view to keep genetic records to differentiate strains from one another but come on. Some strain names sound like they were named after a 14 year old kid who just finished a 12 hour grand theft auto spree.

I wouldn't be surprised if names like triple OG mindfuck or super sour silver lemon fire haze were actual strain names, like does someone draw a piece of paper from a hat that has a number on it for the number of times he draws from a second hat of random words that he puts together for a strain name or something?

Anyone else just feel like strain names have evolved past the point of a scientific standpoint and now just used to charge people an extra $5 for a sack of grandaddy purple super widow instead of the standard gorilla sparkle OG?

2. I know i cant stand it

Any with OG or kush in the name makes me cringe. 

3. #3 Iknuksohgong, May 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
    I once had a strain named "Abusive OG"

I'm petty sure dealers make these names up to make their weed seem more bomb

4. I somewhat agree with the OP.  I feel like Rare Dankness has some of the most silly whacky but cool strain names out there.  Somali Taxi Ride.  Rug Burn OG. Hillbilly Armor.  LOL.  On the flip side they could be a very creative and poetic description of the high.

I dunno man.  I don't really care for the names.  More about the vibrations.

While I highly dislike kush because it's all we get here, you do realize kush is like haze or skunk or whatever?  It's a "sub category" of strains.  Not just a name.

5. Yeah there is no rhyme or reason to strain names anymore and I have stopped caring about the names unless it is one of the legendary strains that actually deserves its name (Ie. Northern Lights, Purple Haze, OG Kush, etc). But the problem is that new strains are just variations on these names and it is annoying and a little bit confusing lol.

They most certainly do make up names.  I've had dealers that were friends who got a batch and straight up said "I'm gonna call this x,y and z".

No mention of Chemdawg???

8. Good weed is good weed to me..it's easy to tell if it's good or not without any mention of a strain name

9. I have heard of it but never had it haha. I don't live within 1000 miles of any medical/legal state so what I do get that has a name is one of two things. 1) A lie the dealer is telling to sell a nameless product. 2) From one of the two people that I know for a fact has access to bud from out west.
    I have read all about the genetics of Chemdawg a few years back in an article in one of the weed magazines and it seems like some pretty killer bud!

10. Abusive OG is a real strain.. And it's fucking bomb!

@[member="Cananinja"] Introduced me to it :smoke:

11. #11 aToker, May 23, 2014
    This thread is so ignorant. Yes strain names get made up by DEALERS but if you get it from a reputable dispensary then it's a real strain.

As said above, Abusive OG and Chemdawg are real strains. And someone said anything with OG or kush makes them cringe, I disagree because I only smoke on og/kush.

Just because you buy from a dealer doesn't mean all strains are bullshit.

12. OGs and kushes are where its at man.

13. Yeah I live in the south and we aren't big on strain names here. You'll meet the heady guys who live for that kind of stuff but people here just go off looks and prices. No one says "Hey bro you need any I got [insert strain]." They just say "Hey bro I got some awesome stuff come look at it" or something like that. The weed here is pretty good so I haven't ever really cared about the strains I smoked and I have no clue what any of them were

14. Yeah I forgot actually. Searched it up after I smoked it.

But still, some names do sound like a 12 year old made it up

15. Yeah I know what you mean.

Whats next Domestic Violence Kush? :laughing:

16. That is completely subjective to location. There are quite a few of us who live far away from any sort of dispensary or any legitimate business that sells cannabis. Instead we rely on dealers who may or may not know what they are selling and where I live more the 'may not' is much more common. People who say they cringe at anything with OG or Kush in the name likely do so because those are really common add on terms used to describe weed in places like this and they are generally just used to beef up the product so that they can sell it for $20 a g or $60 an eighth. I envy people like you who live in places where this isn't as big of a problem because you can actually go to a legitimate business and purchase something and know what you are getting. I wish that I could choose my strain when I go to buy weed but that isn't the case, I just get what I get and deal with it until the next bag. Anyways the fact remains that a lot of dealers have no clue what they are actually selling and make up names or just use popular terms to sell the product. I know where to get weed that is from reliable western sources but the thing about it is they only come through a few times per year and sell out fast so it is a very limited thing. Anyways the point I am getting at is that in some places buying from a dealer almost guarantees that when a strain name is involved that the dealer has no clue what they are actually selling.

17. I totally agree with you, as cannabis restriction is lifted cannabis becomes even more popular especially with north Americans middle class ...kids at 16-26yo so merchants aim their product at that age group, but convention is important, and naming is no different, mother first then father is so VIP!!

18. Lol, so it's not just me.

No disrespect to the genetics. But we live in an era where we are fighting to legitimize marijuana as a medicine.
    Meanwhile growers are forcing dispensaries to have jars of
    "Bubblegum Kush"
    "Durban Poison" 
    Poison ffs.. Behind the counter of a medical dispensary.

These names just reinforce the kind of stereotypes we're trying to dissolve about the community.

We're not trying to say that these aren't the names of real strains
    We're saying these are really stupid names of real strains.

20. #20 LuxTenebris, May 23, 2014
    Durban Poison is actually a colloquial name for a landrace from South Africa, not a breeders invention, jussaying.

And I feel for you guys who dont have good connections and feel like everything is a lie. Im in Florida, and my connect gets his stuff from a dispensery in Cali that sells its excess on the Black Market, so its as legit as it comes.

And to the guys who think OG or Kushes are the best of the best, lol no.

OG, is used appropriately in maybe 25% of it usage, very few OG's actually have OG Kush in their genetics. And Kush strains are so overrated its not even funny, yes they are some good Indicas, but they arent the best of the best like everyone thinks. Also more fun facts, OG Kush, is not even a Kush. it is Sativa dominant, and doesnt even have Hindu Kush (the original Kush) in its genetics, atleast to where it is has any impact on OG Kush.

If a strain has Kush, OG, Haze, or Skunk in its name their is a very good chance it is just named like that so more people buy it Capitilizing on the hype. But, very few names are made up in the fashion the OP was implying, just on the fly. There is purpose behind it.

Also if a dealer says they have Purple Haze, there is a 99.99999999% chance they are lying. The Original is extinct, and the recreations arent often found on the Black Market. Purple Kush is also a red flag that the dealer is lying.

Wanna know if you got the real deal? google (strain name) leafly and see if it matches the description

As for the names being stupid, you have any better suggestions?

Cannabis Sativa var. Matanuska doesnt exactly roll off the tongue