Whats the light watt to plant ratio? and other ?s

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by stev0848, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Im going to be growing 4 plants in my closet... AK-47 seeds i got from marijuana-seeds.nl, what would be the best light system for 4 plants.

Im going to use organic soil, maybe put some compost in there occasionally.

Can i put a few earth worms in a inside grow?

2. I would say a 400 watt for 4 plants would be sufficient coverage.

3. 50 watts per square foot, I'd get the 250 hps for 4 plants or the 400w. there around the same price anyways.

4. 2 150watt cfl's, 2 plants per bulb with seperate reflectors, cheap, easy, effecient.

5. A garden needs "footcandles" not watts, so you will want to calculate how many "lumens per square foot" you will have in your garden. As a general rule, you will need at least 2,500 lumens of High Intensity Discharge (H.I.D.) light per square foot of garden. To get the square footage of your garden, simply measure the floor space where your garden will be and multiply the length by the width. So a 400 watt HPS (50,000 lumens) will light a 4' x 5' garden adequately. Remember, 2,500 lumens per square foot is the minimum amount of light you'll need. Typically the brighter the garden is, the faster the growth and the bigger the yield should be. Some growers suggest a 400 watt light for an area as little as 9 square feet (3' x 3').

Footcandle:
    A footcandle is a measure of light intensity. A footcandle is defined as the amount of light received by 1 square foot of a surface that is 1 foot from a point source of light equivalent to one candle of a certain type.

6. thanks guys

7. i just started a 2 pot DWC system, im worried about the lighting im using right now...its a 75w light, the type used in lizard aquariums...it is suporting the plants for now, not sure if i should get more of these, or spend the money on an HPS, any ideas?

8. i have a 110 watt cf t5 lamp would that support 2-4 bcause im thinking about clipping those aquarium lights to the sides with just like 2 45 watt cfls or something but i was trying to wean my g/f into the idea then i just bought the cft5 lamp lol so i need to lay low and not go out and buy some mh hps combo any suggestions i bought the bloom light for it and i have 6 now that love the cft5 but its only week 2 lol

9. yeah im using a 600 watt MH and hps bulb(separate of-course) for 6 plants.

10. 400w HSP or HID should work at optimum preformance. Just make sure that you check the package because some 400w HSPs have different lums than the same wattage on a different HSP light. Just make sure you hit at or over 45,000 lums for good preformance.

11. HPS, not HSP. And HPS is a HID light.