What's the largest light I can put in my tiny closet?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by gribz, Sep 10, 2008.

1. #1 gribz, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
    I have a pretty small closet I am using right now which has 3 5 Gallon bubblers, a 36" soil planter with multiple plants, and a couple soil pots all grouped together (16 plants from seed, probably several males in the end). The closet is very small from a floorspace dimension standpoint, only 49" wide by 21" deep.

I was planning originally on getting a 400watt HPS, but then decided I wanted a 600 or 1000 watt HPS for if/when I move this to a larger area like a grow tent or small room. I know the 1000 watt idea is likely insane, but is the 600 going to be an issue in that small area? I would definitely consider putting a very compact air conditioner in the closet if needed. :D

The closet is about 8 feet tall, standard height but the depth is very limited from the door to the wall. I have two closets in this room, I used to use the other which is slightly larger but not much, probably become involved someday when it's clean and accessible again.

I want maximum light for the densest buds I can get in a very compact area, I will probably do a scrog/LST technique here soon when the plants mature just a hair more. I am just using 4 48" Cool White tubes right now until I can afford/pick out a light.

2. I have read that information before, but would over saturating the area beyond what's recommended create larger, denser colas? say having double the light for a recommended square footage. I would think as long as heat can be controlled more light than needed would be better than less... yeah?

I could always go with 400 watt though, I can even get that at a local home improvement store and fit it with a better bulb later if I wanted to I guess. Quick & Easy solution, I'd like something for Vegetative too but I don't want to purchase two lights or even a conversion.

3. awwe you have the same problem I have
    I have a small area right now, 23x39 I know a 400hps would work fine. I plan on getting a tent 4x4x6.5 and I think I would need a minimum of 600 in that tent.

4. Yeah, I am one of those kinds of people who wants to buy the right one the first time too and not end up buying a 2nd light down the road when I feel the need to bump the grow space a little.

I might get the $165 HTGSupply 400 watt HPS/MH package, best price I can find on something like that although if no one tells me it would be stupid or dangerous to have a 600 watt in that space I might go that way if it's not too much more expensive.

I don't have the cash at the moment for the light, but I want to get it asap.

5. 400 switchable is your best bet

6. htg supply has brandname packages aswell, they should be better

7. Thing is, Im going for bang-for-the-buck kind of thing and have limited funds to dedicate to it so I'd like that one or another budget one I saw, I can upgrade hood, bulb, balast whatever in the future but I need one running right now.

8. if you can control the heat go big. i have 600w hps on 5 square feet. ventilation is key.