What's the darkest book you've ever read?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by BluntCruisin, Apr 26, 2012.

1. For me it's easily American Psycho. After seeing the movie beforehand, I did not expect the book to be as graphic and vivid as it was, very difficult to get through some parts of the book. Quite disturbing.

Easton Ellis is a great author, already read most of his books except for the Rules of Attraction.

So GC, what is the darkest book you've ever read? It's been a while since I've read a great, creepy book and was wondering where to start. I want something that really gets into your mind and makes you think.

2. I gotta say "It" by Stephen King or "Cujo" also by him

3. A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

Disturbing in it's realism, accurate portrayal of the human psyche, and predictions about the future. Read it when I was 13 and it scared the shit out of me.

4. lol growing up reading those and hearing people say King must be such a fucked up dude, I was like "nah..the man is just a creative genius."

Now I understand. That man is seriously fucked up. :eek:

5. #6 xpixiex, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
    "How to Eat Another Man's Wife" by Tina Hess.

I totally thought it was just about sex, but it has a very cannibalistic twist at the end.

6. The Necronomicon.

7. Hey I picked that one! :(

:cool:

8. Well,
    you're a towel.

9. [​IMG]

10. [quote name='"TheDankDude"']
    Hey I picked that one! :(

:cool:[/quote]

[quote name='"LeroyDankins"']Well,
    you're a towel.[/quote]

[quote name='"xpixiex"']
    Img
    [/quote]

[​IMG]

11. Please Kill Me: The Oral History of Punk. The book pretty much reeks of heroin and blood.

12. Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness"

Not because of the title :p

Some pretty dark subjects explored in that text I guess :confused_2:

13. American Psycho & other Ellis books, 120 Days of Sodom

14. Duck for president

15. [​IMG]

John Dies at the End is one of my all time favourite books ever. It's dark, it's funny, it's terror inducing, but most importantly: it's incredibly well written. I was reading this during my junior year of high school when it was free on the internet. I love this book very much, and I'm quite pleased to see how well it's done over the years.

John Cheese and Molly are my favourite characters.

16. the bible.. *hides*

17. Pet Semetary or Misery by Stephen King