Whats the better deal?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by StackOfSmoke, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Well called all the garden supplying places I saw in my area and no ewc. Of the places I called one company said they sell a cubic yard (not foot) of their compost formed of composed wood fiber, horse manure, sawdust, and leaves for 29$. Then this other place said they sell mushroom compost and some others for $10 a 40lb bag. Or I can supposedly get 30lbs of ewc off ebay for $34 including shipping. Which should I go with? I am on a budget and need enough soil mix for 6 plants and 3 autos. But im also trying to pull a big yield this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Why do you say supposedly?  Is the ad shady?  Do they reference a company name or anything like that?

If you told me I could only get one of those three..... I'd prefer the EWC..... as long as it is EWC lol  Does it say what the worms were fed?

3. Haha I say supposedly just because the fact its ebay. It seems legit I guess heres the link http://m.ebay.com/itm/321086455236?nav=SEARCH Do you think it would be enough for all my plants and if so do you think I should buy it instead of the compost?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

I can't say whether or not it will be enough for your plants as you have not provided enough information for that. However, I personally would take castings over compost any day.

5. Well I stated how many plants. Havent completely decided size of holes thinking 1.5x1.5ft. Bigger if I got enough soil mix. Mainly just want them big enough to pull at the very least 3 ounces a plant. I just dont wanna buy the ewc and then run short ya know? My budget is about 100$ to get everything needed for the soil mix including amendments. Trying to focus on the humus part first since its crucial and will be a rather big portion of the mix.

6. Depends how large the pots you are planting them in are.  As a point of reference.... buildasoil.com says 28lbs of castings is about 4 gallons. 

Say the soil you mix up is 50% peat, 25%aeration, and 25% humus....  if the EWC is your only humus component (if you don't get any composts), then you could make 16 gallons of soil.... a cubic foot is 7.5 gallons.  Do you think 16 gallons of soil will suffice?

If not.... I'd get a bag of compost to mix with the EWC to meet your humus component.  Either of those composts are probably fine.

BTW.... those GreenSense castings.... they are available on Amazon, too (http://www.amazon.com/GreenSense-Organic-Earthworm-Castings-lb/dp/B00025H2UO).  And it says the worms were fed manure from rabbits that ate only alfalfa.  So not bad lol.... much better than cardboard, anyway

• Like Like x 1
    Gandalf gave you some good advice to work with there. Using his soil formula ending up with 16 gallons of soil at 2 gallons a plant you get 8 plants (not sure if you are doing 6 or 9) but I would be confident in getting 3 oz from a 2 gallon bucket depends on how you train your plant, the lights you use, the temperatures, etc. but I do think you can achieve your 3 oz in 2 gallon containers.

8. Haha yea definetly not enough alone. Going to be digging holes outdoors and im sure each hole is gonna need atleast 1.5-2cu ft of mix. Im thinkin I may just do as you suggested and buy the ewc and also the cubic yd of compost. If thats not enough Ill just have to make it work. After all that I will have 35$ to spend on base soil, aeration, and amendments. Doubt ill have enough but hopefully ill figure out somethin. Thanks gandalf

9. Yeah they will be outside in holes under the good ol sun. Never knew you could get that much off just 2 gallons. I may just do 1ftx1ft holes then and fill with good mix.

10. 2 cubic feet of soil mix would be a lot for one medium sized outdoor plant..... if you are running short on $$, use your local soil as your base soil.  Add the EWC/Compost and aeration... talk to Jerry.  

You should get way more than 3oz off an outdoor plant

11. Guess ill have some varying hole sizes then. Maybe 2 holes with 2cu ft of mix and the rest slightly smaller like 1cu ft. Ive decided to probly get the cubic yard of the compost. It seems to be pretty good and ewc couldnt be that drastically better. Ill be mixing my native soil as about a third or half of my base soil.