Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What's so good about sativas?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Boomhauer, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Purple doesn't mean its an Indica.....

There are purple sativa dominants.

2. Alright, doob3r... here goes.

if you want to talk/debate cannabis or genetics we can, thats fine and fun as hell. no weed is not a fucking fashion trend, to me it is not, just because satia`s are "in" does not mean they are the hot shit right now, show me all the new strains that have been parented by sativa`s, the new ones because sativa`s are so "in". i smoke what i like, if something has the high i dont want, i wont smoke/grow it period.

For me, weed is something I do... no more or less. I personally don't see weed as a fashion trend, but I can't help but notice a marked increase in people talking about sativas as if they're the only kind of bud worth smoking... and some people even going so far as to bash indicas - which is retarded IMO.

A few years ago I never really heard weed referred to as a sativa or indica... not by anyone who knew what the hell they were talking about - at least not where I'm at... and nobody I knew ever said anything about a distinct preference for either one. So to me, this is a recent thing - everyone claiming to prefer sativas. I cant help but notice that a lot of seedbanks seem to be responding to this, and everyone is bringing out new sativa strains.. to me, this indicates a recent spike in demand... also known as a trend.

Most of the people I've met who claimed to love sativas so much couldn't even tell the fucking difference. Me? I agree with you... I love indicas and sativas equally, and I grow and buy what I like to smoke.

and yes the cannabis cup, where the best strains from all over come to be judged on quality, this is a trend and has been going on for long, long time, the cup does not hype anything up, if you know your genetics and strains you know whats going into the cup and youve got your money on what/who will win with what strain. yeah a strain wins and is in high times but thats not hyping it up imho. hype is what the hip-hop community has done to certain kush strains and purples,

So rappers hype up Kush and purp, but advertisers paying 20 grand a month per full-page ad in High Times aren't hyping their shit up? What kind of double standard is that?! High Times doesn't hype up the Cup Winners every year?

I just read a thread earlier today about the entire Amsterdam/High Times/Cannabis Cup scene being nothing but hype... which is the same thing that I've always been told by relatives of mine who went long before I was even legal.. FWIW I'm nearly 30.

I've grown cup winners on my own, and smoked others grown by people I know... and was always terribly disappointed, each and every time. I haven't bought a single copy of High Times since I smoked my first cup winner - and quite frankly I've been disgusted and horrified at the shit I've seen on the cover as I pass it by at the newsstand recently.

High Times, in and of itself, is pure marketing HYPE... and IMO it has been for years. I have no reason to ever pick up that magazine or stay up on which strains will win the cannabis cup... My feelings about cup winners, the breeding companies the magazine promotes, the cup itself, and even the people judging it are evident in my past posts...

and as for commenting on how much i smoke, i smoke a lot. if your curious to quality or quantity, genetics, or growing methods, feel free to check my grow journals, there is over 100 pages for you to get to know my smoking style.

I'm checking it out now, actually. I guess it was childish to attack your credibility as a smoker... but your first posts didnt seem very civil or genuine to me. I apologize.

and again your sying that weed effects us all differently, then why are you saying you cant level it out between head and body? just because it does not work that with you does not mean it does not for others. you keep saying a satia with plenty of amber will put us to sleep, i just want to know how you can say that after saying it effects everyone differently?

I'm saying you generically - in the abstract - not in the literal sense of the word. My statements are general, not absolute. Maybe I should have clarified that, but I didn't think I'd have to... since what I'm disagreeing with here are absolute statements about how weed effects people, I figured it was implied.

I don't mean that it's not possible for the same weed to produce similar effects in two people... or a bunch of people... or even MOST people. What I am saying is that talking about the effects of sativa or indica -or ANYTHING for that matter - on an absolute level is foolish, because almost nothing applies to everyone.

I can't count how many times I've sat down with a few buddies, passing the herb, and had a conversation like the following:

... this happens on a pretty regular basis with a select group of friends of mine. And everytime someone gets a new strain, we always do the same thing... several of us (if not every last one of us) usually has a different impression of the weed, even if only slightly.

So what exactly is it that we disagree about, again?

3. oh for sure man, purple does not mean its indica, i never said that, im just talking the infamous GDP, or erkle, thats just what pops into my head when i hear purple strains.

4. i see where you are going, i just didnt really catch on earlier:eek:

i was just high and thought it was directed towards me, and i was thinking of how sativa dominant buds do me the exact opposite haha.

5. Heh, I would have used a J. My spelling skills are not like my smoking ones.

6. Everything has spell check these days though, I haven't had a browser in years without a spell check. But anyways I've always preferred Sativa strains, I just get this rush of crazy thoughts and ideas and they just keep flooding and sometimes I get that shit-eating mushroom grin when I'm blazed on some strong sativas.

I love indica as well but I don't like to be couch-locked all the time and it's just a different high.

7. Best sativa hands down i've had has been Sour Diesel, makes the back of your head feel likes it being massaged and gave an urge to be more talkative/social. Only downside to sativa dominant strains are the anxiety some cause, since the high is more mental/in the head (and less physical/sedative like indicas) it gets your mind racing.

8. Sativas naturally contain more THC than indicas thus giving you a more pure high with less room for other chemicals like cannibinoids or carsenagens it's not giving you a more energrtic high but a more pure high were you feel more of the effects and less of the lazyness

:smoking:

9. Been awhile since I've posted but I lovvee sativas so I have to join this thread.

I have always favored the sativa high and have usually tried to include at least 1 or 2 sativa strains in each grow cycle. I have grown Kali Mist (last season) and this season I had Satori (Mandala Seeds). Satori is rated at nearly 22% THC and even as sativa genetics go thats a fuckton of THC for bud to have. Hence, the high starts off racey and "heady" but it lasts soooo long and keeps you STONED for hours, highly uncharacteristic of sativa strains. So, I dont know who said earlier it really depends on genetics. They were correct.

Fat parents, fat kids. Genetics rule the game.

10. Seems like this is getting out of hand. I never knew that when refering to whats "hip or in" it would be directed to the herb. What happened to toking for the "spiritual experienced" not "oh shit dog, I smoke __ g's a day what up!!".

I love my sativas as much as I love indicas. They both came from different parts of the globe and for that have different characteristics. I love sativas for allowing me to enjoy even more climbing, mountain biking, hiking, etc. anything that is active. With indicas, it is a great way to relax and just mellow out. I do prefer indicas for surfing b/c I feel more intune with the waves than with its energetic cousin.

Buds to me are not a social status or what is cool. I didnt smoke till I was 19 b/c I knew I wasnt ready to smoke at that time. Sativa has opened my mind to view the world for what it is and to really take in its beauty and faults. It has allowed me to carry my views to even when im not high. It has taught me many lessons of patience, stress management, and knowledge that only I could have pulled the curtains on. Toking should be a lifestyle choice. Just like everything else, the herb should not be abused, but smokers should appreciate the gifts that marijuana can give to you.

11. First of all, THC is a cannabinoid.

Second of all, did you just really say that sativas contain less carcinogens than indicas? What?

12. #32 kush<>~, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008
    Yes they did. How would that theory be possible given the logic behind thc?

13. Damn this post got stupid fast.

What are we arguing about? That sativas aren't of a generally stimulating nature?
    Of course, if you let your plant grow well into the amber trichomes stage, then you're maximising your CBD content, which will make it much more indica like.
    The point is sativas can be very high in THC and very low in CBD as opposed to indicas, making them more psychoactive and energetic.
    I've rarely seen amber'd sativa grows- it kind of ruins the point if you like the sativa high.

14. i love that 3rd person feeling man its sick as hell .. one of the first times i got stoned i was riding with my buddy and we parked in a little clearing it was in like january and snow was on the grown we were in the woods and i was all third person .. and it felt like i was in this arena the way the moon lit up the snow and part of the surrounding woods crazy stuff .. i rode back going like 5 mph and it felt like i was going 40 haha.

15. hybrids are the way to go. but i prefer indica, i just love the body highs more than getting fucked in the head. don't get me wrong, i like sativas too a lot for their own reasons, but i jst like indicas a bit more, plus they make things feel so good, food tastes good as hell, and your body just feels like its floating.

16. #36 Mr. MJ, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
    The argument - at least from my perspective - was that not ALL sativas are light, social head highs and that some sativas will knock your dick in the dirt. IMO anytime you say all sativas or all indicas effect everyone in X, Y or Z way, you're getting into stupid territory.

So in short, my point is that there's always an exception to the rule... not that sativas or indicas don't have typical characteristics or highs.

I won't address everyone who had a critique of my opinion, but that doesn't mean they have to be intentionally ambered up... that was simply an example. It just means that some sativa strains - like Satori, apparently - are powerful, stony highs.

I've heard Kona Gold is like this... I'll let you guys know in about 3 months. :D

17. I hear that;)