what's likely to be broken?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by flashinthepants, Feb 26, 2012.

1. the last couple of weeks i've had to move the house around to make it easy for some work to be done to my house. i had to move my tower and monitor upstairs... and i decided to try and hook it up up there.. whilst plugging it in it fell off my bed onto a fairly resilient floor... probably about a 2 foot drop.

since replacing all the items in the right places ive beeen able to check my computer and it supposedly turns on and everything, can hear all the fans working but the monitor just displays 'no signal'

so what is likely to be broken in my tower now, or likely to be causing this problem?

(will rep if anyone could figure out a story that would explain this kinda damage in a month, so i could get it fixed free :p)

2. Check the GPU, that would cause no display.

3. could you explain 'check' please? :p

like what am i checking for? and if it is broken, would it be a case of a new graphics card?

4. First things first, make sure you have the VGA cable (if that's what you're using) in the correct port. If you have a motherboard with built-in graphics and a graphics card there will most likely be two.
    If it's not that it's probably more serious, possibly a broken motherboard or graphics card. How many bleeps does the system make when you turn it on?

5. #5 flashinthepants, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
    the cable's definitely in the right socket... i'm still on VGA - was looking to expand to dual set-up after i got my room back together - and its a shitty GeForce 310 that came with the tower, ironically i was looking at upgrading it.

i have no idea if there's built in as well though...

and bleeps? no idea what you mean >.< sorry if thats stupid to say, but my thought processes seem shot.

edit: no bleeps... but i dont think it ever made any noise except the usual fans.
    also turned my speakers on and the fans don't die down nor is there a windows start up jingle or anything...

i'm only any good with computers while they're on >.>

6. Unplug and open CPU and check all internal connections, wiggle and push...bet that does it...

7. Does the motherboard have built-in graphics? Try the cable in the other port 'n remove the graphics card. If it starts up it's more likely to be your graphics card than anything else.

8. it doesn't have more than one port for the same sort of cable...

it has a DVI-I port on the same card or whatever, but i dont have a cable for that and i assume that would achieve what you're telling me to do anyway...

9. like others have mentioned, you will need to open the case and re-seat the graphic card and also re-seat the memory sticks. If that doesn't solve the problem, there's probably damage done to the main board or the cpu.

10. thanks guys - i'll get on it tomorrow and tell you how it goes.

valuable bud money is on the line if i've fucked this up now >.> just annoying tbf.

11. Its something with the video, You need to find out if you have onboard video in addition to the graphics card. If there is another vga port higher up the tower closer to the USB connectors in addition to the graphics cards vga port (which is lower in the expansion bays) you have onboard video. If your monitor still doesnt show video after plugging into the onboard video there is one of 2 things

1: your motherboard was damaged by the drop
    2: your monitor is broken

you can x off #2 by plugging your monitor into a known good PC and seeing if it works