What's happening to my babies?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by bungle420, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Just got home an found my wee ladies not looking too good. They are coming up to a week old so no nutes. Lights on 18/6. Aircooled 600hps about 40inch from plants. Temps high 70s an humidity around 40%....
    This one looks like its been in the bath too long and has gone wrinkly on top of the leafs

ForumRunner_20120712_213618.png

The others are curling up on the outside. I've read it could be due to heat but I can place my hand right against the aircooled hood without any feeling of being too hot to handle.

ForumRunner_20120712_213910.png

What's causing it?
    How do I cure it?
    How can I make sure it doesn't happen again?

Thanks in advance for any advice. All opinions welcome.

2. How close is the light?

3. I got the hps hanging about 20inches above em... Does that sound about right?

4. You should switch out the hps for metal halide(for vegg) and raise it 12 more inches have it at 36 with metal halide you'll be good...

5. Thanks for your advice. I'm deffo goin to get some new lights for veg on my nxt grow but for now the hps is all I got to work with...
    What would b the best value for money lights to have just for sprouts and veggin as I'm thinkin of now only using the tent n hps for flower.
    I was looking at getting a 4 rack of T5s. Would they give a suitable amount of light to veg 4 or 5 plants?

6. For seedlings/cuttings, fluorescent lighting lighting will suffice for the time being. Often 1500 lumens/ft2 is sufficient. Once there are 5-7 fan leaves on the plant they can be moved under a metal halide light. Though not every grower uses this method, it has been successful for me :D

Good luck and happy growing!

7. I'll b doing it differently nxt time for sure... As for the pics I posted are we saying its just too much heat an raising my lights will stop this. Will they then be likely to stretch themselves more, but I suppose stretching is less harmful than heat stress.

8. Your temperatures are fine, but your humidity should definitely be increased for your cuttings/seedlings. If you don't already have a dedicated 'clone dome', Id definitely invest in one. Ideally you want to keep your root zone around 75 degrees F (which is why many gardeners utilize a heating pad for cuttings) and the humidity above 75-80% (having a dedicated 'dome', whether store bought or DIY is key to easilly increasing your humidity levels. Also, having a dedicated aquarium bubbler will help keep your water 02 rich.

9. Looks too dry.

Go to home depot, drop 10$ on a 6500k CFL (if no 6500k, get a 6000k)
    Use this tiny little 23 watt light (or if you want to spend more, get a 45 watt, but the bulbs are REALLY limited in what they can do).

Use the light until the plant gets bigger and a few mature sets of leaves(~2 weeks), then you can put it back under the HPS (after you've moved it to a bigger pot)

Alternately, if you want to spend more money, you can get some fluoro tubes - allows you to vege plants longer under fluoros

10. Thanks for the tips, but I can gladly say they've pulled through and r really starting to take shape. They had me worried for a bit since its my first attempt at growing.... Already got my hands on a dome for nxt time so just need to go shopping for a few new lights

11. So everything's been going ok for the last week and then this morning I woke up to this. I've tried to find out what is causing the problem but all answers suggest a nute deficiency, but I haven't used any on this plant yet. I'm leaning towards it being a PH or heat thing but temps rarely top 83. Can someone point me in the right direction or is it just one of those things that happens when its best to do nothing.

ForumRunner_20120723_091745.png

12. Still too dry! That's causing the upcurl.

The yellowing is a spot where you splashed water on it, maybe. If the whole leaf begins to uniformly yellow, could be N defic. (I can't tell if the spots are white or yellow)

Throw a buck of water into your grow area, with a towel in the water and over the edge of the bucket. If you want you can even throw a fan in the mix to blow over the towel - will prevent mold/mildew from growing on the towel. A better alternate is throwing airstones in an open container of water and really violently aerating the water (VERY bubbly frothy)