What's considered heavy use? (Drug test)

Discussion in 'General' started by novaprospekt, May 4, 2009.

1. Hi guys, I'm new here but not new to MJ :smoking:

I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to through simple searching on the web.

Anyway, I'm being drug tested in anywhere from one week to 1 month, I don't know when at this time, but I've been abstinent for two days now hoping my THC-COOH levels begin to drop. My normal habits is 3 bowls a day, sometimes 4 on the weekends of headies (20/g).

Obviously there is no answer to the question "how long will it take for me to be clean" but I was wondering if you guys consider my habit of avg. 3 bowls a day to be heavy use. Compared to infrequent smokers or party smokers, it obviously seems like that would be heavy use, but when I read science journals/studies they often cite heavy use as 6-8 (or more) joints per day and I don't use anywhere near that much bud.

Considering how much I put in my bowls, I'd say I average 1.5 joints a day and I go through an eighth a week.

I hope to get a better sense of how long it will take for my THC-COOH levels to drop below the 50ng/mL threshold used in drug screening.

***just an aside, I'm a biochemist so I'll understand any chem jargon if necessary.

2. #3 MethMan, May 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
    Wow man I'd be pretty frustrated if my first post on this forum had that as a reply.:rolleyes:

I don't know what to say OP but if you havn't already,there are alot of cool sticky threads to check.There are some good tips dropped by users there :hello:.I wouldn't say you have a "heavy use" as in like junkie status lmao but I'm sure you've built up a pretty big amount of thc in you:eek: Wish you the best

3. thats definitely heavy use dogg. i consider myself a heavy user and i only smoke once a day sometimes not even.

4. thanks for the replies nyystateofmind and methman, i actually didn't see ralphie wiggum until now when you guys replied as I was in the other room watching TV for a bit...meh what can ya do about it.

as far as the topic is concerned yeah i'd agree also that an eighth/wk is heavy use but when i see 6-8 joints a day, relatively speaking im not so bad then hahah.

I'll check out those stickies for sure, thx again.

5. that's about average in my book, but if you could possible have a DT in a weak you need to stop smoking regardless of how often you blaze.

6. yeah I've already stopped as of Friday night as soon as I heard it was coming but I wanted to get a rough idea of how long it'd take for THC-acid to clear and that's why I was asking if what I smoked was considered heavy use.

Most resources categorize clearance times based on how often one uses i.e. heavy 7-30 days according to Erowid which I trust. I've also heard that seasoned smokers' metabolisms are accustomed to the breakdown of THC and that clearance can actually be expedited compared to a n00b toking for his first time or infrequent users, so that's kind of interesting too.

7. #8 provin1327, May 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
    To me, that's heavy use.

8. hmm..everyone is always gonna have a different opinon on how they preceive heavy use

9. I piss green for weed. Purple for codiene. Blue for alprolozam.

Rainbow colors in your cup.

10. really? i piss purple for weed:hello:

11. In my opinion if it's a "critical" test (they all are, right?) if I couldn't stop for literally a full month beforehand I would just buy or borrow clean piss.

12. ...........

I don't know what you guys understand under "heavy user". But I go through 3 grams a day and don't consider myself a heavy user. 3 bowls a day is not much, but it's still a habit.

13. That is not heavy use at all. Heavy use would be smoking a bowl every hour. Every two hours is legit. :smoking:

14. For a drug test that would be heavy use.
    I think you're just better off not smoking.
    Why are you being tested and how long till your last test?

15. #16 Ringo11, May 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
    According to NIDA (the people who determine the standards for drug tests) smoking 3-4x a week is "heavy use"

16. To me, three bowls a day maybe isn't heavy but is probably above average.

To give you an idea of how much I smoke - I work ~50 hours a week plus another 20 hours from home, easily. I generally smoke 1/2 a bowl an hour or so after getting home, and the other half around 8pm. If by 10pm I'm having trouble sleeping (I wake up at 4:45 to go to work) I'll get up and hit a very small bowl (one hits worth) and watch some tv to help me sleep.

On the weekends if I have nothing going on I'm generally blazed. I normally get my shit taken care of before noon on sat, toke on a nice full bowl around 12. Repeat at 4, repeat at 8... maybe another.. so 4 sat/sun?

Speaking of... it's late.. I'm off to bed