whats bad about hermaphrodites?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 1 Eyed Toka Guy, Aug 27, 2004.

1. was just wonderin if they did somthin bad to the crop. are thier buds not good?

2. The bud sucks for the reason it has seeds in it. Plus it can pollenate and entire crop. Not good to have.

3. I've heard that the seeds from hermaphrodites that polinated themselves are 100% feminized, is this true? Are hermaphrodites freaks of nature or is it....ok this is going to take a minute to ask this question. ok lets say a plant produced two seeds you plant those two seeds and one becomes male, one female, the male polinates the female and it produces seeds..are these seeds going to be hermaphrodites?

4. No they won't become hermaphrodites, although they can.

hermaphrosdites, when the pollenate a female are usually 100% feminized seeds. Or so I've heard.

5. whats feminized mean?

6. Girls ONLY!

;)

7. The seeds will produce females but will carry the hermaphrodite trait as well so u can also get hermaphrodite's as well, although in a small percentage!
    dunno wots so great bout em though! kinda cool if u cant keep clones i suppose!
    CWL

8. OK, here's the thing... if the hermaphrodite trait of the plant occurred as a genetic trait, then the plant will most probably have seeds of both sexes, and even hermie seeds...

The way seed companies do the hermie feminization is they take a FEMALE and STRESS it into a HERMIE, and let it POLINATE ITSELF.... and that will produce ALL-FEMALE SEEDS... because the initial female plant only contained X-chromosomes, and that doesn't change when it turns hermie, the seeds produced with its own genetic material will contain only the X chromosome... that is they will all be female seeds...

On the other hand if you take a male and stress it into a hermie, and let it polinate itself, it'll probably produce all-male seeds...

9. Yep, thats right! ;)
    except that they dont have to stress the plant, they just use chemicals to make the plant produce male pollen sacks that will fertilize itself!
    Its basically inbred really lol!
    CWL

10. Where can I get feminized seeds>?

11. seedbanks......

havent you learnt anything from this thread......i dont think it sounds like a good idea to buy feminized seeds.....man tampering with nature just to increase your chances of getting a fem plant......the odds arent that bad anyway........who ses that this is a sure way of getting a female plant ......it all comes back to the same arguement is the sex of the seed determind befor it opens or after?????...it does seem that a hermie plant can give you hermie seeds so some part of the gene is passed down but some feminized seeds have given male plants befor....so who knows???......why pay extra for feminized seeds that have a chance of going hermie on you......na not me...laters

12. Haven't YOU learned anything from this thread?

There are 2 kinds of feminization:

(1) Chemical - seeds kept with banana skins which contain a chemical that tends to feminize them. This process often doesn't turn all the seeds into female seeds because some seeds have harder, thicker skin and the respective chemical doesn't get absorbed well into them... Anyways, it's rather hard and unnatural to change(mutate) the genetic structure of a matured seed..

(2) Genetic - the process described in my previous post, that returns SEEDS CONTAINING ONLY THE X-CHROMOSOME, which is the female chromosome in case you don't know... therefore GENETICALLY FEMINIZED SEEDS ARE 100% FEMALE

Respectable seed copanies only use Genetic Feminization!

Peace!

13. NO I HAVENT LEARNT ANYTHING FROM THIS THREAD........IVE READ IT ALL BEFORE....Heavystone.

Have you found out something that we all dont?????? is the sex of the seed determind befor it opens coz if you have theres going to be alot of people who want to speak to you about your hypos and how you came by it...

i dont give a toss how the plant was stressed i dont want its genes....

Heavystone have you ever had a hermie???????i have had more than one.....and i dont want any more...

you can buy your feminized seeds if you want........

each to there own.....

if youve got any pics of your plants post them Heavystone i would like to see them.....

LATERS

14. ok... so hermies are good? if you want to get female seeds, you wanna use them? are they bad? im totally confused

15. Hi 1 Eyed toke guy...in my eyes no they are not good....they are not 100% as far as i can find out on the net...i have never or will ever buy them....they are as i can see not a stable gened plant..

16. HIGH All, I Also have no use for them..when I buy seeds and see the tell tale sigh of yellow bananas I say these things are a Freak Of Nature..I pull them without blinking. Haveing a Strain for over 6 years and having these Freaks spread there Freakish pollon on my Babies is unheard of. The problem with these Freaks is you must have the perfect growing enviroment or they will turn on you. And having them turn is not a good feeling.

17. tetrahydrocanna: Yes, I've had hermies before...
    I never said you can determine the sex of a random seed, ok? I just said, (pay close attention!): YOU CAN DETERMINE A FEMALE PLANT TO PRODUCE ALL-FEMALE SEEDS... but of course this is not a job for amateur gardeners like most of us...

1 Eyed Toka guy: It depends on what kind of hermie it is, not any kind of hermie is good for production of all-female seeds... it has to be an induced hermie that was initially a female plant... so if you just get a hermie out of the blue it's most probably not good for that purpose... it has to be a hermie that you "hermied" and that was initially a female plant about 2 weeks into flowering...

tetrahydro: I don't currently own a digi-cam so I'm sorry, I can't post pictures of my plants but I can tell you all about'em: I had a total of 10 plants(2 Jack Herer, 4 Chronic, 4 Burmese& Fuckin' Incredible) out of wich I had 2 males(B & FI), and a hermie Jack Herer... got those pulled.
    At about 4 weeks into flowering one of my female Chronics and one of my female BFI's showed some hermie tendecies by growing just a few "testicles" among the very numerous female flowers... well, I thought it wasn't reason enough to pull them, so I basically "castrated" 'em and they didn't grow any more testicles after that and continued to grow female buds...
    Currently the Chronics are harvested, BFI's are up in a week and the JH probably in 2-3 weeks..

18. you have some nice gened plants there shame you ruined the genes by supporting the sale of feminised seeds.....and you have now had a taste of hermies........will you continue too support the sale of these freaks or have you learnt a leason?????.....good luck with ya plants Heavystone.....laters

19. Well, the seeds I had weren't feminized so I never attributed the fact that I had a hermie and a couple of others hermying, to feminization... as a matter of fact I know that the last two were heat stressed and that's why they grew some balls...

On the other hand I never bought any feminized seeds so far, but if you really know for sure that genetically feminized seeds are so unstable... then I guess I'll have to wait to see that with my own eyes when I get some genetically feminized seeds...

My question to you is... what kind of feminization were your feminized seeds subjected to? ... or actualy let me rephrase that: Your feminized seeds were the result of which type of feminization?

20. I have never or will ever buy feminized seeds.......everything i found out about them i found by reading and what i read wasnt good.....other peoples experince was enough to put me off........i have had hermies due to a faulty timer i never want to see them again....laters