Whats a good acoustic song to learn?

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by kingjames420, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Suggest me some songs I should learn, nothing too hard.

2. #2 AR Toasty, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2013
    What kind of music do you like to play? And how hard is too hard?

If you want some easy tunes to jam out to, sing-a-long with, and have fun - you can't go wrong with The Stones.

3. If you are trying to learn as I suspect go to ultimate guitar tabs (they also have apps for iPhone and droid) and look up songs you like. If not read down.

If you are a well seasoned player and just get bored go to ultimate guitar tabs and look up songs you like.

I would suggest learn "You Are My Sunshine". I like the version by Mississippi John Hurt but I haven't looked for tabs to it. You can take a very basic song and add to it to fit your style. The basic song is played on three strings but when you play it in the style of Mississippi John Hurt there is a lot of variance to it that adds a lot more feeling and fun than just three strings. But if you really hate slow sad country songs you wouldn't have much fun doing that now would you :)

What do you like and what's your ability now? Like myself I have had a guitar for 8 years but have only recently found a guitar that I really like and enjoy playing about 8 moths ago and really started to try to learn. I can play around a half dozen chords and some of their variants. I am trying to learn a picking style and really enjoy playing country, folk, and just recently started looking at blues. I am pretty bad and don't like to play around to many people but I've got a tune I've kinda created and it's building up quite nicely.

Ok I've rambled enough, sorry to be so long winded. I had quite a bit more to write but I think this gets the jist of it. So what do you like? Where are you at in your journey?

Peace:wave:

4. Not sure what music you like, but a relatively easy and very fun finger picking acoustic song to try is Fleetwood Mac's Landslide.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMVBP_0OOZY]Fleetwood Mac - Landslide - 2004 - YouTube[/ame]

5. #5 HillbillyHoax, Feb 16, 2013
    Haha I just returned from YouTube with a video I found last night while trying to learn to play blues guitar. Fleetwood Mac is pretty darn good, I think I will watch that one tonight, thanks BadAxe!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaBul0cIRAg"]Jim Bruce Blues Guitar - How To Play Blues Guitar - Satisfied (Mississippi John Hurt) - YouTube[/ame]

Notice he has a capo on the second fret, if you don't have one you will just be one step up from him in tune.

6. #6 HillbillyHoax, Feb 16, 2013
    Or maybe this one?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pe1TkiYc00"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pe1TkiYc00[/ame]
    OK I am not gonna post any more unless this is helping you. I just thought about it you asked for songs to learn not styles, sorry.

7. im not a beginner. iv been playing for over 4 years, im just starting back up again. Thanks for all the suggestions

8. [quote name='"HillbillyHoax"']If you are trying to learn as I suspect go to ultimate guitar tabs (they also have apps for iPhone and droid) and look up songs you like. If not read down.

If you are a well seasoned player and just get bored go to ultimate guitar tabs and look up songs you like.

I would suggest learn "You Are My Sunshine". I like the version by Mississippi John Hurt but I haven't looked for tabs to it. You can take a very basic song and add to it to fit your style. The basic song is played on three strings but when you play it in the style of Mississippi John Hurt there is a lot of variance to it that adds a lot more feeling and fun than just three strings. But if you really hate slow sad country songs you wouldn't have much fun doing that now would you :)

What do you like and what's your ability now? Like myself I have had a guitar for 8 years but have only recently found a guitar that I really like and enjoy playing about 8 moths ago and really started to try to learn. I can play around a half dozen chords and some of their variants. I am trying to learn a picking style and really enjoy playing country, folk, and just recently started looking at blues. I am pretty bad and don't like to play around to many people but I've got a tune I've kinda created and it's building up quite nicely.

Ok I've rambled enough, sorry to be so long winded. I had quite a bit more to write but I think this gets the jist of it. So what do you like? Where are you at in your journey?

Peace:wave:[/quote]

Thanks for your input. Ive played for about 4 years off and on. I usually play ***. rock or metal if its on electric. Im trying to get into blues because to me its the most fun to play. We sound pretty close on skill level from your description. Im not good enough to play in front of a crowd either.

9. I have come to really enjoy Ultimate Guitars tabs they show you the chord notes and the fingerings. I will be pretty happy once i get some finger picking down. I am also trying to learn a hybrid pick and finger picking style that sounds pretty good when you get it right but sounds oh so bad when you get it wrong! :)

Peace, I am off to eat some lunch. :wave:

10. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSMsNqDr9aI"]Boston - More Than a Feeling - Easy Acoustic Song on Acoustic Guitar - Guitar Lessons - YouTube[/ame]

11. That is WAY to vague. What kind of music do you even like? Try led zeppelin, the who, the stones, and the beatles.

12. Classical Gas

13. In my opinion, BEST free site on the internet for guitar, and he has TONS of acoustic stuff, is Free guitar lessons : Complete Beginners Method and loads of Blues, Jazz and rock : Learn how to play Guitar free here! , Also, one of the worlds REALLY good people.