Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Coronavirus COVID-19 What you can do to help yourself

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Ol Joe, Mar 18, 2020.

1. The Canadian - US border is shut down so its getting real. Those of us who have watched this situation since late last year are not surprised. Be Prepared!

Things that you can do:

Wash your hands! A lot. If going out wear a pair of latex gloves (like health care folks use)

Practice Social Distancing. Stay away from others as much as possible. The virus is airborne (according to WHO) so a mask would be helpfull.

Isolate if in the most affected group. Basically anyone over 50. If your family is over 70 then be very very carefull.

Clean your home often. Use a sanitizing solution of bleach or other product. I am looking at a gallon jug of Simple Green Pro 3 that uses a dilution ration of 50ml to gallon. Make a habit of washing things like door knobs and light switches.

Try to stay healthy. Take your vitamins. There is some evidence that Vit D and C will help. Zinc and Selenium as well.

Herbs that may help.- Skullcap, Licorice, Elderberry, Ginger, Turmeric. Fresh Ginger juice is easy to make and the should still be available and is very effective. No cures here but act in a supportive role.

The bottom line is isolation and hygiene is key.

Good Luck to all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cut your nails if they are long! Mine have been kept short since I took a microbiology course in the late 1960s! (Excellent teacher- he made us all into germaphobes!)

And I want you to think about all those cop shows where they catch the murderer because of DNA or other substances under the victim's fingernails! Long nails provide excellent hiding places for germs and are hard to clean under!

Granny

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yep and basic hygiene is king. I have never had cleaner hands. I did finally start sanitizing door knobs which I have almost done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. And take off your shoes at the door. If we are picking up germs from the market floor and walking them right through our house, that can be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stay home if possible

6. Pretty standard here, I dont get people using outside shoes indoors. I dont want an of that crap in my house.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yep limit being around people as much as possible. Its hard though, Im so used to jumping in my truck and hitting Home Depot etc.
    I think we are going to see a whole lot more folks dying then we want to think. I really hope Im wrong.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. #9 killset, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    You mentioned latex gloves which is all fine and well but in reality can give you a false sense of security. The virus can still live on the gloves so unless youre changing them often, changing them correctly and disposing of the dirty ones, not touching your face and still washing your hands, you really arent doing jack by simply wearing gloves

Ive seen people at stores come out, take there gloves off, using their unprotected hands throw them on the ground for someone else to pick up and go on about there day with out washing up. Another example is a guy i know. We were sitting around socially distanced, discussing the current situation. The guy was sitting there wearing the same gloves he had on and off several times that day. Not to mention he was drinking a beer and smoking cigarettes with the gloves on. I asked him what he though he was accomplishing and he said keeping the virus off his hands. I simply said what about the beer and cigarette he was shoving in his mouth using his potentially dirty glove....he thought about it for a second, took the gloves off and went and washed up. Got to use your head people

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yes I know my son is an EMT. This thread is about what you can do so I chose to be a little upbeat.

10. #11 killset, Mar 23, 2020
    So incorrectly using gloves is upbeat? Maybe use the knowledge of your son to spread good useful info and show how to correctly use protection.. People are making really bad decisions. I was editing my last post to give examples of what i meant when you replied. I've even seen worse then what i mentioned above.

11. I will not be responding to you from this point on. If you have knowledge to share please do so, If you wish to bitch and whine then go elsewhere.

12. #13 killset, Mar 23, 2020
    You're the only one bitching and whining bud, i never once did. I have absolutlety zero reason too. I simply suggested people use gloves correctly. Sorry you got butt hurt over it, i was just adding info that was left out. Relax. .....theres upbeat, then theres correct ways of doing things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Plant food seeds.

• Like Like x 1
  14. My tent has flowering tomatoes right now. Seem to be doing ok so far.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The CDC recommends masks now and There are many sites that show show to sew one. In my mind these may/probably not stop you from getting the virus however they should be quite effective in stopping asymptomatic people from from spreading the virus.
    This site has some data on effectiveness of diy masks. What Are The Best Materials for Making DIY Masks? - Smart Air Filters
    One thing to keep in mind, DIY masks are not as effective as medical masks but should be compared to not wearing a mask at all. It wasnt that many years ago the standard medical mask WAS made out of cloth.

"But desperate times call for desperate measures. In this case, Cambridge recommended a double-layer of pillowcase or T-shirt fabric for mask-making, which proved to be around 70-percent effective at blocking the smallest particles tested."
    Do the public a favor, if you cant stay at home then wear a mask.