What would you buy?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by wingzzz, May 7, 2013.

1. OK folks. I've read the books, I've read the forums... ready to jump in. I'd love to do outdoor, but don't think I can with the kids. So that leaves indoor. Have a great attic, but no electric supply, so that's out. That leaves a spare bedroom. Need something that locks up and is discreet. Don't mind paying some coin, since I don't have the time to make something myself. Also, I prefer LED since the electricity cost is through the roof here.

Suggestions for a grow box? Please keep in mind that in Europe, so please don't tell me all the great things I can get based in the U.S.

2. Best place to start is a 3x3 or 4x4 tent 400w hps, 400cfm inline fan, fan speed controler carbon filter and air cooled hood and some 6" aluminum hosing, that takes care of lighting and cooling. 3 gallon pots of some FFoF and afew odds and ins, if you shop aound all can be had for less then $600. Add you grow talent and tons of reading and your good to go.

3. Btw, 400w uses very minimal electricity and it will give you some topp shelf buds with LST and topping. Just keep the light really close via the cooltube.

4. ^ all good advice, agree on most minus the soil/nutes suggestion. But to each their own.

To op: led use the same electricity, don't buy into what they say about 75% reduced electricity usage. If its a 90w led, it uses 90w.

Btw, a decent led will cost more then most of the rest of your equipment combined.

5. thanks, bro. just not used to these euro electric costs yet (coming from the states), so anything I can do to reduce wattage/cost is welcome. but you're right - 90w is 90w!

6. Those LEDs start at 90w, and do go up to 600+, and honestly there are fucking expensive. If you opt for the trusted hid (mh/hps) you will literally cut your total equipment cost in half.

7. To reduce cost get a 400w dimmable ballast, for the first 4 weeks veg at 50% "200w" and when you switch to flower go 100%. That will save alot, but you really do need a hps system man that's how you get the dense dank, be it the 400w up to 20,000w all the big seccessful growers use them. Wish somone would have convinced me to go with a 400w from the beginning with all the stress and money i blew on cfl's and sockets and such. They work but just enough to give you the grow fever...lol.

8. And you'd need 4 to not even equal a 400w hps that will cost max $200 for a really good one. The only draw back is the heat and you totally take care of that for no more than $250 for the inline fan for $80 and Phresh carbon filter for under $150. Took me a long time to find good supplies for a good price that weren't crap. But i think i have about the most cost effective 400w 3x3 tent you can find that i expect to pull atleast 5 grows out of. :) I can sqeeze a penny thinner than a Frieght Train.:D