Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What will we tell our kids? the truth?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by lard@SS, Mar 15, 2010.

1. my kid is only 5 and i have no idea how im gonna handle the marijuana issue when he becomes a young adult. of course i dont want my son to feel the need to be intoxicate to enjoy life. how should i go about talking to him about it? when should we talk about it? also what stance would you have with your little ones. im a hard working single dad. i never have done it in front of him. ever! feed back from parents with kids is preferred but not required. everyone opinion is welcome regardless. thanks and god bless.

2. I stopped all bad things when my son was born, and lived the life he needed to see me live. I led by example, now he is 25 and out on his own, and I am considering returning to some of my old ways. Of course, I have to get it by his momma first, but she knew me when...

3. pretty hard question.
    he will know no matter how good you try to hide it, its better to show and describe him all the situation and that it doesnt negatively affect your life, thats its just the alchohol party at the weekend, but you like smoking, but its hard for me to accept if my kids will start smoking.

have no kids , but will do this way.

4. you`re a hard man, no smoking for 25 years :eek:

5. I'd do it round the time you have the birds and bees talk.

Just inform him about, consumption wise I'd wait until he comes to you.

6. Thank you. I really hate being hypocritical, and try not to at any cost, so I didn't feel right drinking and/or smoking around him.

He's a good kid too, much like his dad, but won't quite admit that yet.

7. Be completely honest with your son, show him you can smoke and be productive. Teach him Marijuana isn't a big deal. Our biggest problem in raising our kids today is we try to protect them from bad thoughts, instead of teaching them how to deal with them. Up until the 1930's alcohol wasn't a big deal, no you must be 21 to drink and we don't teach kids what their limits are, then they go to college and all the sudden you don't have control of what they do. I would teach him the absolute truth about drugs, marijuana is an adult/teenager thing and is bad for him until he's old enough to control himself. It's better for you to teach him the truth then to let the educational system lie to him.

8. congrats on one of the longest t-breaks ive heard of lol.

well to answer your question ill give some background: im 19 and in college and up untill last january i didnt even think my parents knew what weed smelled like. but then im drinking one night with my mom and she starts tellin me about how my dad use to grow mj and all this crazy shit and i was just completely shocked and come to find out last week that they tried mj a couple weeks after we talked about it lol (side note: they were use to old school grown in tha back woods mj, prolly worse than mids lol and what they tried was medical and all my mom could say was "i was just freeked out, that shit aint right")

so i guess what im trying to say is just wait untill your kids are ready. when i was growing up i didnt need to know they smoked it didnt effect me at all. their rule at the house was always "drugs are illegal dont do them" they never spoke bad of it or anything they just said its illegal. well worked for me at least and im glad i didnt smoke untill college cause i wouldnt have been ready back in high school.

9. in completely honest you mean tell him he will be lied to about the dangers of marijuana and the term "just say know" should mean "just be careful"? my biggest fear is that he will try it and lose track of whats important in school. when i was a high school kid, i cant even remember how many classes i skipped to go smoke out.

10. It seems that we are the ones starting the first generation of people to accept cannabis as something normal. I wont let my kids smoke until they are 18, but I know they probably will try it. I want to make sure that they are open enough with me to tell me the truth, shit, I would most definitely buy my kid weed if I knew he was going to smoke. It seems that a lot of people in high school spend all of their money on weed and food, mostly because they are dependent on their parents for everything else. Buying them weed would diminish the chances of them getting jipped, scammed, laced, whatever, I just would want my kid to be safe and I want to know what he is smoking, if anything. No doubt I would toke it up with my son, too bad I dont have one.

11. Well if your kid is 5, I'm thinking by the time he starts driving and stuff around the age of 16 and 17 and starting to come into his own and experimenting with stuff, pot will probably be legal everywhere. So, it might not even be a big deal at that point in the future.

12. Yea, hopefully this^

If it comes that soon I would be extremely happy.

13. Yea do not let him smoke till he is matured. much like steroids (what a relation right!?) using cannabis before you are of age has very negative side effects. In studies done it could lead to permanent indifference (yes i know its crazy). Let him come to you about it and when he does you delve into all the wonderful knowledge of weed.

14. oh god buddy i hope you're right. i started smoking at 12 years old. i live in south texas. over here fresh mexican brick is so plentiful that everyone smokes. and i mean everyone. for 10$ we get 7g dimes and get baked for days. its very hard to avoid marijuana around here is what im saying.

15. I hear ya, teach him smoking in school and before your 18 is a loser thing to do. You want to have control over his enviornment, and if you can tweak him to understand cannabis respect and ignore peer pressure, you should be fine. Tell him that his teachers are not always right. I would only smoke on the holidays just to show him that it takes a man to control his own mind. If he looks up to you he will treat marijuana as a holiday drug. And let him know that you don't approve of kids smoking until they can handle it, make up an age. Hiding things from your child may seem OK now, but it hurts in the long run. And talk about it with him, develop a trusting atmosphere as a parent who only punishes when he isn't honest with you. That way when you need to ask him if he's been smoking during school you can explain and then punish him for the real serious matters in life.

16. I hope that I'll be able to raise my child to be comfortable enough to talk to me about anything. Hopefully, when he/she becomes curious about it, he/she will come talk to me and I will only tell him the truth. As long as the kid is responsible, he can have all the fun he wants.

17. Hopefully by the time I have kids it'll be legal anyway (or at least decriminalized). I guess I'll treat it similarly to alcohol. Never encourage it's use until of legal age but acknowledge the likelihood that they will try it. Education is the key though. Being open as well; answering questions and so on.

If it remained illegal I guess I'd teach them some tips I've picked up to stop them getting caught if I was sure they were smoking. From my own experience once you get to your late teenage years your parents telling you not to do something isn't gonna stop you anyway. So I might as well prepare them for the inevitability of them continuing.

18. First I think you should not encourage it's use at that young of an age, let him know the truth and that by choosing to smoke now he could very possibly screw up his entire future if he let's it. Let him know the truth about it and make his own choice, better than his friends and teachers telling him what they think.

Just FYI I have a three and 1 year old and am not looking forward to this.

Second your "just say know" I think was a typo error of "just say no" but I think we should change it to "just say know"

19. I'm still in high school but so far I think I'll be open about it with my children. I'll let my kids smoke once they're mature enough (probably some time in high school) and teach them everything about it. I don't want my kid to become that guy that always gets ripped off or always gets laced stuff.

20. What I'm going to tell my kids some day is that all drugs alter your perception, ideas, and feelings, and that no drug should be abused, including ones given by doctors. Some drugs should not be experimented with like meth, heroine, and cocaine because they do permanent damage to your body and mind. Others however can do little harm to your body and if you choose to you can try these drugs under a safe environment under the right circumstances. Marijuana is a drug that alters your perception and thoughts and can be fun when not abused. Some day you will inevitably be asked to try some of these drugs and I cannot tell you what to do, but I can educate you about them and if you ever have any questions or need advice then I'm always here! I love you!!! :love: *hugs kids* *goes outside and smokes fat doobie* :smoking: