What was your first computer ever?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Ẅest Čoast, Nov 24, 2012.

1. My first system ever was purchased back in early 90's. It was this thing called Macintosh Performa...a whopping 33Mhz cpu and I believe 8mb of ram...and a spacious 250 MB HD...one button mouse :D

I remember getting Windows envy...and I purchased a software that would run Win3.1 on macintosh (virtual OS). LOL god that thing sucked...I could barely run Dune on it at like 2 frames a second.

This thing was the state of the art
    [​IMG]

2. That all sounds familiar!

I got my first one in '92, it was what we called an "IBM clone." (vs. Apple)

It also had a 33 MgH processor (50s were just coming out) hard drive was 170 MG, don't remember what the RAM was. There was no sound system, and although it was running W 3.1 it booted to the "C" prompt, a tiny, square monitor, no printer, I think the mouse had a left and right button.

There were still a lot of DOS based programs around, so I had to learn DOS commands. And no drag and dropping of files, so when I wanted to save something to a floppy, or move a file to a different directory, it all had to be done with DOS commands.

THe fucking OS would hang up ALL the time, had to reboot, etc. But it was fun, didn't know any different.

Cost as described above? $2,000.00

I bought a printer later that cost $200, and it was a pin printer, WTF? No graphics, no colors.

3. think mine was a 386

4. Commodore Vic-20

5. I bought my first PC in the early 2000's, relied on the 'family' computer up until then. It was custom built courtesy of my friend who had waayy to many PC parts. IIRC the specs weren't bad for the time.

AMD Athlon 1200 (1.2ghz)
    512mb of RAM
    ATI Radeon (Can't remember the clock speed but it had 64mb of VRAM)

I was pretty pleased with it at the time.

6. My families first pc was a tandy 1000 back in the late 80s..we got an actual windows 95 pc in 1996

7. C64 :hello:
    [​IMG]

I was late getting a PC, I played with Commodre Amiga's for years until I built a 166mhz Pentium to run Windows95.

8. A laptop with DOS on it, I was like how am I supposed to use this crap?

9. LOL, I never thought laptops and DOS ever crossed paths.

10. My uncle is borderline rich, I figured he got one of the very early laptops. But heck he could have had it on there for shits n gigs "hey lets throw this OS thats only a shell basically onto this laptop and see what he tries to do"