What type of Pot to grow Pot?? :-)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GrowMom, Jan 5, 2017.

1. High! After I germinate my seed I am going to plant the baby in a 1/2 1/2 mixture of Happy Frog and Roots Organic with a little bit of chunky perlite. However, what size container should I put her into, and what TYPE of container? Thanks in advance :)

2. #2 SantiagoDunbar420, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    I like to start in a small pot and work my way up. Solo cups are a good starting size for seedlings, I personally use 3"x3" square seedling pots. once the leaves are about as wide as the cup you want to transplant into a bigger container, I go from the 3x3 up to something around a gallon, then into the 5 gal bucket. As far as what type of container, basically anything that you can put drainage holes into will work, I've used old 5lb sour cream containers, buckets, etc. if you're willing to invest a small amount of money, I've heard great things about smart pots. They're made of a breathable fabric which allows oxygen to get to the roots and helps them grow faster, and also eliminates the need for drain holes. They also come in a variety of sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. It's a stoner myth that there is value in increasing pot sizes multiple times until you get to the final size.

Just start the seed in a small "seedling" size pot (solo cup would work if you add holes for aeration and drainage). Then when it gets a couple inches tall transplant to your final pot.

I use fabric pots but you can use anything as long as it has plenty of drainage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I wouldn't call it a myth, I'm not saying you have to do it to get results but it seems pretty logical that if you confine the amount of space the roots have to develop the plant will focus on foliage growth instead. Then you can upsize the pot, allow the roots to expand, get a boost in stem and leaf development, then repeat. Rather than put a plant that's a few inches tall in a 10 gallon container and wait for the roots to fill it out. But it really comes down to personal preference in the end

5. Causing a plant to become rootbound is not healthy and does not cause it to focus on foliage growth instead. Unnecessary transplanting can cause shock and delay in growth, that's a fact. A healthy root system is what allows any plant to thrive. Where have you learned that root binding is useful?

6. #6 GrowMom, Jan 5, 2017
    I found the following on GrowWeedEasy.com...and it does make sense. However, I am afraid of transplant shock, and transplanting is definitely not the EASIER choice. So many questions...still! Maybe I will try one method on each plant. Keep replanting one, and with the other one plant directly into her 5 gallon home and see what happens! I mean....plants that grow OUTSIDE dont have to get replanted... :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transplanting Young Cannabis Plants At The Right Time Makes Them Grow Faster!

"If you start your cannabis plants in a relatively small container they will grow faster than if you planted your seedlings or clones in a big container. This is because it's easier for a small cannabis plant roots to get the right mixture of air and water when they're not waterlogged in a big container. A great rule of thumb is to choose a new pot that is at least double the size of the old one. Avoid potting up into a huge pot. EXAMPLE: If you place a 6-pack sized root ball into a 5 gallon pot you’ll have to keep 5 gallons of soil moist which at first the roots won’t reach. This is a waste of water and plant food. Larger pots will also require greater spacing which for indoor growing means more lights and wasted electricity.

But if you do start small, you need to transfer your plants to bigger containers as they grow to ensure the roots have plenty of room to expand. When roots don't have enough room, they'll eventually form a "wall" around the edges of the container.

If left in a container too long, the cannabis plant will actually become "root-bound." Think of it as if the roots are choking themselves.The plant roots are unable to effectively get the right ratio of oxygen, water and nutrients, and unless the plant is transplanted, the problem continues to get worse as the roots wrap tighter and tighter. Some growers will even use too-small containers to constrict their cannabis plants on purpose and keep them from getting bigger! So when it comes to transplanting cannabis, you want to make sure you transplant at the right time so your plant roots never run out of room. You'll actually be hurting their growth if you wait too long to transplant!"

7. Don't recall saying you should allow your plants to become rootbound

• Like Like x 1
  8. There are many different ways to plant. The kids of today want to transplant a million times before thaey are satisfied.

I drilled holes in the bottom of a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket. It worked just fine. Do not get a plant pot that has many huge holes in it or it will drain the soil out of the bottom. You want 1 hole or a few small holes. Good luck!

9. Personally I'd put money, time, and energy in other things besides multiple repottings. Grow Weed Easy has great info and I always refer folks to it. You don't have to water all the soil in a large pot just to feed a tiny plant, a person can use common sense in how much water to provide. Also, if you have proper aeration in your soil and drainage in your pot then water logging will not be an issue.

I think your soil blend is a good start. The pot size is dependent on how many plants in the grow space under what light. I fill a 5x5 space with 4 ten gallon GeoPots (4 plants).

10. I have 1 fem. blue dream seed I want to germinate and plant. (actually I have 5...but they are so expensive I want to start with 1 for my first grow in case I mess up!) grow cabinet is 3wx2dx5h.
    I know blue dream will grow tall so I plan on training her to go wide. Lighting with (5) 23w 6500K CFL'S.
    I am thinking about germinating her in the paper towel, then planting her in a 4" Peat Moss Pot....then just planting that pot into a 5 gallon plastic container for her final stay. Thoughts?

11. I STILL dont know why people insist that thr paper towel is the place to start the seed. Put it in a rooter or right into some 50/50 peat and EWC with a LITTLE perlite inside of a solo cup. I feel the paper towel method to be another stress point, being you now have to try and gingerly plant the seed with fragile sprout. Idk, maybe someone knows better than i do, but that paper towel thing is what MY forefathers did in the 70s and we have come a long way since then.

I also feel that paper towels allow seeds that are weak to germinate instead of planting all of them in soil....only the strong survive.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Cool, I'm about to start 2 blue dream seeds from Humboldt Seed Organization.

I've only germinated right in soil (I buy a separate mild seedling soil) and I've had a 100% germination rate by keeping the soil room temp or a little warmer and on the moist side.

Training is a good idea. I use the SCROG method but there are others. Lots of people successfully grow in 5 gallon buckets. Following growweedeasy will get you far.

13. current grow cabinet.....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. I have been practicing with tomatoe seeds, and to be honest....my paper towel babies do better than my rapid rooter ones. I just seem to prefer it :)
    Im getting my seeds from Gorilla Seed Bank....taking 2 freakin weeks to get money to them, I am SO IMPATIENT!

15. I like the little cab. Consider weather stripping the doors to prevent light leaks.
    What are u doing for ventilation and odor?

16. Looks like a good start. I'd run it just like you're growing now and check for light leaks and monitor your temps and RH to make sure it's a healthy enviro for your plant. If you don't have ventilation, you're going to need it. Also you're going to probably want more light than that if you're looking to fill that space with plant. A 400w HID fixture is not expensive.

17. #17 GrowMom, Jan 5, 2017

I have weatherstrip all ready :) Just waiting for my seeds!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    I wish I knew what to do about ventilation. Im only growing 1 plant, and most of the guys in my apartment building smoke weed, so I am not really concerned about the smell...except maybe it will bring every dude in the neighborhood sniffing to my door! lol....planning on just using small fan for now, then take it from there. cabinet is against working fireplace, wish i owned this place as i would vent it up the chimney! I cant cut any holes as i rent. day at a time i guess.

AND @ A GUY: HID runs to hot, afraid to burn damn apt building down running em all the time when im not here. I work 70 plus hrs week.

I want to grow SO BAD and do it properly....but I am afraid of hot lights....and dont know what to do about venting. Do I have to???? I just had blonde brain bulb go on....the fan for my stove is right around the corner from the cabinet, maybe i can vent into that? but i cant mess with the landlords cabinet. If i had the cash i would have just bought a grow tent to begin with. but as a beginner i want to make sure i can do it at ALL before i invest big $$$$.

18. Fully understandable. So let me get this straight, that cabinet belongs to the landlord?

19. Oh wait....nevermind. u mean u cant cut into the cupboard that the stove vent runs through....at least i imagine.
    As far as hot lights go there are many that do it. I, even in a large room, use high temp shutdown relays for my ballasts in case the AC decides to shit in the middle of the night or whatnot.
    They are very simple to construct and i believe i made a tutorial years ago on here when i was DON PiANO. If not its pretty simple to do with a waterbed thermostat from a surplus store (like $3).
    To address the cooling you have to figure if you are going to just add a couple more cfls or if u are going to go hps. There are solutions to both for your cab.

20. I have to stick to CFL.....