what to do with these hermies.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by abrahamx, Nov 11, 2010.

1. I just found that two out of the three of my plants are hermies. I know there is a ton of info on here and I have read alot of it. I believe my situation is somewhat unique as I only have three plants and the two heaviest yeilders so far are the ones that hermied. The smallest one has not, that I know of. I have to get in there and look closer when I get some time. I am really just looking for opinions on if I should pull the two or just grow them. Been flowering for 6 full weeks. Start week 7 now. Its Swazi Skunk so its a 10 week strain. I figured on 4-6 more weeks flowering. See my grow in my sig if you care to. I appreciate any opinions. Will I get alot more yeild if I wait and a better high? or will it just go to pot and seed out and suck?

2. Might as well finish out. it will still b good smoke exceppt for seeds. those are good seeds as well, all females.

3. wrong, giving false info is not cool just cause u have seeds from a hermi doesnt mean feminised to get female seed a hermi needs to polinate a pure female plant so his 1 plant that isnt hermied is the only plant that will produce fem seeds smoke up!:hello::smoke:

4. 65 views and only one person will help me out with an opinion. I mean you dont even need to be an expert or anything to give me some help with a personal opinion. Why even read the thread for that matter?

5. Hey, it can't hurt to grow them out. I bet the smoke will be good and you can take the seeds and scatter them in the wild and maybe benefit someone next year... Abrahamx Appleseed. I've done that several times ... never throw seeds away, give them back to Mother Nature and let her care for them .... just my opinion

6. agreed.
    Abrahamx budseed.

7. cant u just remove the male parts/sacs if they havent released any pollen and finish out the plant seed free?

8. I could but the one that is male free is the smallest one. Thats part of the opinion/s I am looking for. Just want to see what the general / average opinion is. I was hoping for 30 pr 40 replies by now to help me decide or change my mind. I think I am just going to grow them out. thanks for the two people who did respond. F the 102 others.

9. they will just keep growing back.
    Technically you could go the entire time pulling them off but thats a ton of work.

10. I personally threw my hermie out after 35-40 days of 12/12, but I guess like others said it wouldnt hurt to grow it out as it will still be good smoke as long as it wont effect your full fledged females =]

11. No full fledged females. I have three hermies. If not I would have picked it a few days ago. I guess the main question is will these plants yeild more and be more potent in a month? If the smoke will get stronger then I will grow them out. If I'm just gonna get a bunch of seeds and not much noticible potency difference then forget it.. How long do seeds take to grow anyway. These plants were just pollinated a week ago or so and only have 4 weeks to go. Will seeds even have time to grow? Looking for experienced opinions. As in you have done it before. And noted the difference.

12. Yes they will be stronger if you let them mature. Seeds have little effect on potency the main disadvantage to them is your plant puts lots of energy into producing the seeds energy that would be used to produce bud. Seeds reduce yield not necessarily potency.

Many post I read here fail to understand this some of the best bud I have ever smoked had seeds. There was once a time before the internet and seed vendors when growers had to grow there own seeds as well as bud.

Let them mature and let us know how it turns out. Picking off any male flowers before they open if possible. I assume your plants are bag seed if you let them mature your smoke should be just as good as the bag it came from with seeds.

Good luck and happy growing:smoke:

13. Actually they are Swazi Skunk from Seedsman.

14. Let it grow.

I had 2 hermies last round and have 1 this round. I try to clip off the male flowers every 2 weeks or so. My plant doesn't seem to put too much energy into growing them, as they grow quite slow. I didn't have any seeds last round and I'm not expecting any this round.

15. So are you guys saying hermies do not pollenate the same way males do? Like why would you let a hermie contaminate your growroom?

16. I personally would not. As you read above I only have hermies. Thats why I asked the question. Will the weed be better now a month premature with no seeds or in a month when they are ripe but may have seeds? They were only pollinated in late week 6 so seeds may not even have time to develope. I did see some pollon pop on two of the flowers. Hopefully they will just pollinate that bud they landed on.

17. You should end up with some decent bud. You will need to screen out the seeds with a metal screen after curing.

Did you run a irregular light cycle or did you have a timer on 12/12? Any light leaks into your grow room? I wonder why they went hermie on you I would think no legit seed vendor would be selling hermie seeds.

When the seeds are mature you can squeeze the bud and they pop out. You can also cut off some test buds do a quick dry and smoke it to check potency.

18. I did a test bud. Pretty decent. I left the room light on once about a month ago, with no problem recently I changed the light schedule because of daylight savings time and work schedule. During the light cycle I moved it up(turning the lights off for about 2 seconds) and gave them 2 extra hours to change my light schedule from 5-5 to 7-7. Right after that they went to hell. Not bad really but I am seeing more bananas. Check out my grow if so inclined. They are pretty nice as of now. I'm on week 6 and they call for 10 weeks although I've read of some going 15-19 weeks. :eek:

19. The link to your grow gave me a 404 Not Found error maybe the server Idk.

Do I understand you were running 7hours on and 7hours off during flowering?
    If so thats why your plants hermied on you. Why did you not run the normal 12/12?

20. Yea, there are issues with the site as you can read above. My lights were on from 7 am to 7 pm. Never seen anyone running 7 hours of light. Would really have to be unimformed to do that . Too funny. Try a couple more time you should get through. The whole forum has been like that for a few days now. :laughing: