What to do with male plants?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by c t m, May 20, 2012.

1. Can you cook with it or make hash?

2. They are worthless, except for pollenation.

3. My understanding is that male plants do indeed produce THC In the mature branch and leaves but so much less is consumable because there is no bud, only pollen, and most people freak out and kill any males as quickly as possible to avoid producing seeds.

I have a separate tent for males and have a whole process for harvesting and storing pollen for breeding. Like the female trimmings, the male trimmings need to be mature to strip the trikes from the plant matter.

I took a class from Aunt Sandie who recommended drying out your trimmings, grind them up and put them in sugar jar dispenser and whenever you feel like experimenting, add a dash!

So I don't want to say the previous post is wrong because I wouldn't want to depend on males for my medicine, but if you have them, use every part you can, that's my motto.

4. If the male plants are no good, where do you get seeds from?

5. #5 Storm Crow, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013
    Yes, you can make hash and such from males!

Dry and try! Male plants vary greatly depending on the strain! Now, if your plants have some Moroccan genetics in their background.......

Cultivation of Cannabis sativa L. in northern Morocco. (abst – 2005)
    Cultivation of Cannabis sativa L. in northern Moro... [Bull Narc. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

"In addition, the present study establishes that male plants, often considered deficient in delta-9-THC, contain levels of the same order as those recorded for female plants, both in the leaves and in the tops."

These dudes were not doing the old "dry and try"! They were measuring the THC levels with qualitative analysis using high performance liquid chromatography with diode array detection and also using gas chromatography/mass spectrometry! So I would say they were pretty sure of their results! ;)

And the way we have mixed strains in the US and elsewhere, that male of yours may just have the right genetics to pleasantly surprise you! :smoking:

Even the pollen from males has THC! :D

Flavonoid glycosides and cannabinoids from the pollen of Cannabis sativa L.
    (abst – 2005) Flavonoid glycosides and cannabinoids... [Phytochem Anal. 2005 Jan-Feb] - PubMed - NCBI

" The identified cannabinoids were delta9-tetrahydrocannabiorcol, cannabidivarin, cannabicitran, delta9-tetrahydrocannabivarin, cannabicyclol, cannabidiol, cannabichromene, delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabigerol, cannabinol, dihydrocannabinol, cannabielsoin, 6a, 7, 10a-trihydroxytetrahydrocannabinol, 9, 10-epoxycannabitriol, 10-O-ethylcannabitriol, and 7, 8-dehydro-10-O-ethylcannabitriol."

Want to learn more facts about our favorite herb? Just send me an email for over 1000 pages of links to studies and articles about cannabis and cannabinoids! (See the bottom of my sig for my email! Hotmail sometimes can't handle my list. :cool: Yahoo & Gmail are fine! :))

There is a LOT more to cannabis than "just" getting high! :smoking:

Granny :wave: