Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What to do if you get pulled over while blazing

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by DutchX8, Mar 8, 2009.

1. I raised this question in another thread but hopefully i'll get more opinions here. Say I get pulled over while i'm smoking. I light up a cigarette to try to cover the smell, but my car still smells like weed. The cop will likely ask if i've been using marijuana. Should I admit it, or deny it? Or does it depend on how nice the cop seems? And then, if he asks me to get out of the car to search it, should I do what is advised in the "Flex Your Rights" video -- lock the doors and refuse a search? I just feel like doing that would raise red flags in the cop's mind and he might call in the dogs or something.

Anyway.. what is the best way to handle a situation like this?

2. If they smell weed they have a reason to search, so refusing it at that point would not be ideal. In any other circumstance it'd be different.

3. So if they smell weed, no matter what you should fess up and give them all your stuff and likely get arrested?

And then the "Flex Your Rights" video doesn't make sense, because the cop in that smelled weed but didn't search the car because the kid refused a search.

4. I'm pretty sure here in Washington you get pulled over and your car smells like weed you get a DUI

5. just admit to smokin... i have been caught like 5 times with weed in my car...its always best to be honest...they will usually take it a lil easier on u

funny story about that though:

i was like 17 years old and had my girl with me while smokin a bowl driving down the interstate... i passed a state patrol while tokin my pipe...he totally saw me and pulled out and hit his lights..so i pull over and barely roll my window down (just enough so we can talk)...he says that he can smell weed in my car and that i needed to step out of the vehicle...i look at him and say "u dont smell smoke in my car...someone driving by just blew it out their window"...he says "no...i smell marijuana in your cvar...now please exit the vehicle"...well as he is saying that he reaches for my door handel to open my car door..so i slam the car door lock shut anbd look at him and say "u dont smell pot in my car...u are mistaken" ..he then places his hand on his pistol and says "sir...either step out of the vehicle or i will remove u from the vehicle"....i then realize im in over my head and get out of the car...the cop proceeds to hit me with EVERY infraction he possibly can AND calls in a state patrol k-9 unit to search my entire car...all while my girl is BALLIN on th eside of the freeway thinkin im gettin locked up... .

they found 1/4 oz of weed liek 3 pipes and a bunch of old baggies in my car...took my shit... gave me like 4 tickets for speeding, weed, paraphenalia, and failure to use a proper signal... then he let me go :) if i would have been honest he prolly would have taken my shit and let me go on my way...but i tried to be a smart ass and he fucked me for it :)

6. Or you could just not smoke in your fucking car.

7. I'm thinking maybe if the cop asks if i've been smoking weed, i'll say "no officer i'm just smoking a cigarette, but my friends were smoking weed in this car last night."

Good?

8. No,not a good idea to say people WERE smoking in your car that still gives him a reason to think you smoke too. That's like saying "no, i wasn't smoking in the car i was smoking at my house before i left"

9. #9 RepentYeNbelievethegospel, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
    Try refusing a search by showing you knownyour rights, if he won't accept that then you may as well fess up since he'll be suspicious by then.
    Also if your soking n your car(which isn't really a good idea in the first place), then you should pay attention to obey all traffic laws

10. Yeah that's just it, it's really risky to refuse a search because it makes the cop suspicious. Everyone says they can't search without probable cause, but if I refuse a search, he can just make some shit up and say he smells weed, even if he didn't, and then boom, instant probable cause, and i'm fucked.

But if I straight up admit that I have been smoking, then i'm equally as fucked, unless the cop happens to be a really nice guy. But i'm talking about worst-case scenario, complete dickhead cops.

11. #11 nfs924, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
    No, it's not "really" risky. It's risky to admit something. Don't admit anything. Cops don't get suspicious, there's nothing wrong with exercising your rights.

Most cops won't lie and say they smell weed. They are way too lazy, they aren't going to make additional work for themselves. If they don't smell it, then they most likely aren't going to do anything.

NEVER admit anything.

12. smoking in your car isnt the greatest idea but if youre gonna do it keep some windows cracked (sunroof if you got one) and just try to blow it out the window and dont let it swirl around.

i got pulled over while smoking once. it was dark so my friend put out the blunt so you couldnt see any cherry and tossed it out the window. we were just about finished anyway :smoking: but we had been blowing it out of the windows and there were no problems he didnt even mention anything.

13. I'm just saying refusing a search is basically the same as admitting to having illegal shit in your car. If you have nothing to hide, then you wouldn't be refusing a search. I doubt the situation in the FYR video (kid refused search, cop walks away and lets him go) would really play out like that. I can see myself refusing a search and the cop drilling me about why I refused and eventually searching the car anyway.

14. #14 Aridd, Mar 8, 2009
    well always your first response to "i smell marijuana in the car sir" should be "Yes sir its the dankies would you like to eat your whole cupboard and fuck your wifes brains out tonite?"

if he looks like the kind of cop who might knock your ass out for something like that, then..(ONLY if he already smells or saw u hittin the pipe) id just be totally honest, it will increase your chances either way...the police are just people, so just depending on their personality, they will use their discretion and let you go, maybe take your herbs, or they might give you a citation or two. If they already have it in their mind that they know your doing it, telling them they are lying isnt going to help your situation.

but from an experience of mine, if your on the freeway or any swift moving roads, you can draw out the slowdown of getting pulled over with all your windows open and be pretty cleared out, pop some gum into your mouth...pretty sketch but its worked.

15. #15 papasandbeer, Mar 8, 2009
    op, you may be a bit mislead on how the system works.
    to be pulled over in the firstplace the police officer would have to have witnessed you committing a crime or have reasonable suspicion that you did, and no seeing you smoking a ciggarete is not "reasonable suspicsion" but "seeing you in a particular matter smoking a j or paraphernalia, and the smell coming off resembles marijuana" is. with that said lets fast forward to the cop coming upto your window, if he smells pot he now has "reasonable supiscion" which gives him enough evidence to eaithier detain/ and or arrest you and search your vehicle and evreything within your accese at the time.

circumstancially they can litterly throw you in the squad car and search your car, find your contraband, call it and take you downtown to booking, you arnt needed to be given your miranda rights untill they intend to ask you any questions regarding the investigation.

16. If you have just weed in your car, say you were smoking joints or a blunt you should allow him to search. Assuming you have your stash hidden, he will most likely not find it or call the dogs on you.

If you were smoking out of glass then your safest bet would be to tell him you were smoking weed and hand him over all your green, do not mention any glass you have. There is a good chance he will just get you on possesion and leave everything else alone.

Best course of action is to just eat what ever you have. If I got pulled over with weed in my car, which would never happen, I would eat probably up to a 1/4th of weed. Anymore then that you would not be able to eat fast enough.

17. #17 platoon, Mar 8, 2009
    if you think you're about to get pulled over, i would think that it would be smart to open your windows and light up a cigarette. if they ask you any question that would cause you to lie such as if you were smoking marijuana, just say something like you're smoking a cigarette. don't lie to the office, just leave out parts of the truth in whatever you say to the officer.

usually a cop claims that they smell weed, but they're probably lying if they try to get you to admit it or give them permission to search. if they actually could smell weed they wouldn't need you to admit anything or give consent, they would already be able to search your car because like others said they now have probable cause.

also, even though many cops are going to try to make you feel that you should have anything to hide by letting them search your car, you shouldn't feel ashamed to assert your constitutional rights. just tell them that you do not consent to a search. honestly, they're not going to call the K9 unless you're extremely obvious or being a douche, but they can't find any probable cause. do you really think that cops are going to have time to call the dogs on every single person they pull over?

honestly, if you're worried about these things, don't carry anything on your car. i find it hard to feel bad for people who just leave para and weed in their car even if they didn't just pick up or anything. KEEP YOUR SHIT AT HOME. if you just leave stuff in your car for no reason, you deserve to be caught for being so careless. never carry anything illegal that you don't need.

18. There are plenty of cases where you refuse a search and the cop will be like ok I'm not gonna make trouble since it wouldn't last in court.
    But when he says"so mind if I take a look inside your vehicle?", you can't just say no, there has to be something followi g like, sorry officer I'm in a rush to no I don't give you consent to search.
    But sometimes if you are enthusiastic like
    Oh no problem go ahead
    He won't take time to thouroghly search and just let you go

19. The cop has to have probable cause to search your car. If he smells smoke then that gives him probable cause. If the cop doesn't have probable cause then don't admit to anything as it is your right to do so. The cop can't do anything but threaten to get drug dogs and in most cases he will not.

20. wrong.