What to do after germing...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by justus315, May 21, 2010.

1. I read somewhere, I think when the tips start getting a yellowish / brown color there is a Nitrogen defeciency.... I would start feeding the sprout some nutes by now. Looks like it's over a week old almost 2 I would imagine.... try this site....

Sick Plant Problems

2. Thanks Rebel, that link is the shit! Very good foundation for trouble shooting!

I was thinking it's time to start feeding some nutes. To be honest though, I still can't figure what nutes to use.
    Ideally, I want to do a minimal amount of mixing. I'm not terribly concerned about getting the highest yield possible but more on them surviving (baby steps) Is there any all in one bottle for vegging? I think I read that you can use Flora Nova Bloom from sprout to harvest???

3. Hey sorry man, how are the plants doing?! I forgot to check up on you :-( Really tho, there are people around on this site saying "You don't have to feed them nutes until they fully start their veg state" or for the first 2 or 3 weeks.... I just go by what the plants tell me, I just used some nutes when I was like, man that plant looks hungry...

just my .02...

I have some nutes I just picked up at English Gardens.... Just some overall nute, I'll post a pic up soon, but it says if the plant is still in a seed to kind of cover the seed in these nutes, I didn't do it I waited about 3 or 4 days before giving it like 25-50% of the nutes in a gallon of water. It says to put 1 scoop to 1 gallon of water so I put roughly a 1/2 scoop in it and using that until my gallon is gone.

4. Hey no worries bro, I appreciate that you decided to stop back in. Thanks for the advice, the yellowing seems to be gradually subsiding, but they look really stunted and weak for how old they are. Not too mention, 2 days ago I managed to drop the bin lid while rearranging, and dumped them on their side, with half the hydroton spilling out. A couple of roots broke off the leaning one as well, it was leaning easily twice as much then has been perking back up so I have my fingers crossed they pull through :(

I pretty much made a trip to the hydro store the day after you suggested I should start them on some nutes. I picked up GH Flora gro (2-1-6) and Flora Micro (5-0-1) and dumped bout half a teaspoon a piece in 5 gallons...

I feel like my biggest hurdle right now though is maintaing ph balance. Since
    adding nutes, iv'e had to ph down 2-4 times a day to maintain ph 6 -6.5 and
    i'm not even sure how accurate that is since i'm suing drops to gauge it. Not too mention as of yesterday I can longer afford a ph meter due to a steep parking ticket.
    I'll stop the word count there, lest this turns into an article of failure, here's some pics. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Hahahaha man everything will work! last night on one of my "Stronger" sprouts, one of my lights layed on top of it for like 3 sec, made the leaves limp and droop, and today I went down there and the fucking leaves are all yellowed and shrivled :-(

BUT my strongest that I transplanted yesterday seemed to ignore the fact that it was transplanted and started growing even more shich is good....

I have like 8 other sprouts that are in decent shape... Going to pick up my HPS today, then I will be going to the Hydroponics store for bulbs and some nutes next week so I'm excited!!! Keep updating your journal and check up on mine every once and a while, I'll be updating pictures shortly :-D

6. #26 justus315, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
    I went camping for a week and the plants were a complete mess. The PH was 8.0 or higher, half the leaves were dead. There was some sort of scum that kind of caked the roots together. I pulled one plant (the more critical looking) not wanting to bother trouble shoot... After a bit of deliberation I then, decided
    to rinse the roots and change water/clean everything.
    It seems to be bouncing back, though i'm sure it will be stunted for awhile. To top it off I decided to... get this, start LST on it?! Any help or suggestions?

6/17 2 days afters getting back. I should have taken a pic right when I got back. It looked alot worse...
    [​IMG]

6/20 evening
    [​IMG]

7. Here's one from this morning
    [​IMG]

I chopped 2 fan leaves off the underside. Where I cut the stem, doesn't seem to be healing well, it's kinda black? Is that normal??[​IMG]

Should I be chopping more fan leaves off? If so which ones?

8. Really, no suggestions??

9. I wanna veg as long as I can, but wanna add the 150 watt hps too. I only have about 108 watts (5500k) right now, So can I add the hps as well, anyone?

10. I wanna veg as long as I can, but wanna add the 150 watt hps too. I only have about 108 watts (5500k) right now, can I add the hps as well, anyone?

11. Why did you cut the fan leaves off? I've not done any LST myself yet but I can't recall reading any guides that says to do this.

12. You raise a good point sir, I could have sworn I read it somewhere... Then again this was info probably retained 20 minutes before actually LSTing, while stoned so...

Let me see if I can find this "supposed" article...

13. #34 justus315, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2010
    Okay, after chopping a few more leaves (like the champion that I am) i've decided to stop torturing her and leaf her unharmed for the remainder of the grow...
    She seems to be pulling out of her stunt, slowly but surely...
    Gonna have to give her more nutes soon.

Still would love some advice/views on whether or not it's ok to use the 150 w hps on top of the 4 27 w cfl's for vegging??

Day 37, or so... [​IMG]

with the 150 hps
    [​IMG]

Found a new shop today, grabbed an 8 of trainwreck ($30) gotta love the price drop :hello::smoke:
    [​IMG]

14. I broke one of the cfl's last night. I'm wondering if the remaining three (27 watt 5500k) is enough to get me thru veg? I still have the 150 watt hps on as well, but i'm concerned whether or not my plant is getting sufficient lighting of the proper spectrum.
    I'm trying to save what little money I have on an exhaust fan and building a carbon filter but i'll buymore cfl's if I need em, suggestions anyone?

15. i think you will be just fine with the lighting you have. i use a 250 hps all the way thru on my girls and they've turned out quite nice the last few rounds