What the #@*? is going on here.

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by smokster, Feb 6, 2013.

1. #1 smokster, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
    I am having problems with my clones and babies. Can you help by looking at the pictures. 60/40 coco perlite. airpots,r/o, 5grams Jacks 20/20/20, 1gr. ebsom salts, 1 mil. calmag.PPM around 600-700,ph 5.8, T-5's, canopy temps are around 80 degrees, pot temps around 65 degrees. Any help will be much appreciated. I have tried maxibloom and gh flora series and the results are the same. Also have added superthrive, and slicate. Folier feed with kelp, fulvic and humic acid, in light doses.

Attached Files:

2. Wow ugly, I dont know but if using RO and cal/mg why the epson??? Better yet why 1g of epson looks like a cal lock out to me. Try a flush and just bring your RO to 200PPM no epson and your Jacks. Should clear up inside a week. But thoes messed up leaves will never recover.

3. #3 smokster, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
    Honestly it is from all the confusion of reading posts on what to feed them. And I just stared with the ebsom. I have been fighting this for a couple weeks now.

4. I had been staying away from the ebsom but then kept reading posts about how this was supposed to be beneficial. I hadn't had this type of problem when I used foxfarm in the mix but this time around I went straight coco/perlite. This is very depressing and frustrating thats for sure. And I really appreciate any help. I am at my wits end. I even hollering at the plants for crips sake. That can't be good.

5. What brand of coco are you using?

I've had a problem similar to this with several brands of brick coco. Brand new coco without adding any nutrients would already have a very high EC value and we had to flush them with alot of RO to bring it down before using it.

Before we figured out what the problem was our plants would become stunted and burned right after being repotted into new coco, then after a few weeks they would slowly start to come out of it.

We use Canna Coco that comes in bags and we don't have that issue anymore. We also use Cal/Mag & Magnesium Sulfate (epsom salt) in our veg mix. I use 0.65ml of epsom salt per gallon.

6. Berry. I saw your post on coco and checked out the Canna but that stuff is about $50 a bag delivered and isn't for sale anywhere within a few hundred miles of me. I'm using Botanicare. I already had a couple of bricks. I never had this problem when I had foxfarm in the mix, and you would have thought that would make it worse. I would start my seeds in 33/33/33/ mix of coco, foxfarm, and perlite.

7. #7 ocdobs, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
    are you using tap water or RO water?

8. I used straight tap water for the first year I was growing. I was having a yellowing in my older plants so about a month ago I bought a R/O. My tap water is 330ppm. It didn't seem to help by using straight ro. I have GH flora series for hard water and used half ro and have tap water to a ppm reading around 180 to 200ppm and ran the flora series but that didn't seem to help either. I am including some pictures of the girls in flower as I'm getting my ass kicked in that tent as well. Man if I wasn't bald I'd be pulling my hair out. Kick my butt, chew me out I don't care, I just need help. Also, I am using a Bluelab combo meter for ph/ec, and just purchased a hanna HI 98331 direct soil conductivity meter. None of this stuff is making me any smarter, just more accurate.

Attached Files:

9. We used to mix our bricked coco with a potting soil mix that contained peat moss and perlite, and we didn't have the burning problem until we switched to a 100% coco mix.

We solved the problem at the time by flushing our coco after transplanting. Then switched to the more expensive coco to avoid the problem.

When you transplant into your coco mix and flush them, test the EC and pH of the runoff and keep flushing them until the they are within a few decimal places of the EC and pH of the mix they are being watered with.

10. I use the same coco and have no ec problems at all. Not saying it couldn't happen rule of thumb when using coco is to flush with 1/4 nutes (some what to flush but mostly to fill the cal cation).

Look sounds like your doing the same thing I did at first, give this and some of that and your pic or what I end up with. Once I found a good nute mix (basic) with a soild NPK profile every thing fell in place.

I dont know your nute sorry, but I do know GH flora (micro @ Bloom). I had issues so I went basic 6ml micro 9ml bloom a gal. If using RO I would use cal/mg bring up to 200ppm then 6/9... If your mixing Tap and RO then 6/9 If you see light yellow and twisitng of the leaves then add 1/8 tsp epson.

Those plants dont look like your coco is to hot they look like your ratio (n p k ca mg) is out of wack causing lock out. what I like to shoot for in coco is 100-75-150-60 n p k mg.
    then, I want my Ca to fall roughly midway between my mg and k, and my s to come in just below mg.

Look at your nute bottle and go to this link CannaStats - Nutrient Profiles for Cannabis
    put those numbers in the calculator and see what you come up with. If your using RO then you should know when adding your nutes what your NPK profile is. And you can tweak from their.

11. #11 smokster, Feb 7, 2013
    I went to the site you mention and according to it my ratios are way higher then you recommend. 5 grams Jacks is 265-115-219. By dropping down to 3 grams its 159-69-132. Thanks for the guide. I went out and looked at the plants and they are worse then they were 6 hours ago. I flushed them 2 days ago and feed light this morning with GH with 5ml grow, 4ml micro and 1ml bloom and 4ml cal/mag. Heres a couple pictures I just took and they didn't look this bad this morning. running the #s on the cal/mag at 4ml. its 21ppm n, 13ppm mg, and 34ppm ca

Attached Files:

12. #12 smokster, Feb 7, 2013
    So, when I flush. Should the water be ph'd or just run it. I'm thinking that when I flush to use half tap water and half r/o. Thats alot of ro water to flush with straight. It takes me awhile to get water out of the ro. Should I run anything through with the last flush or just plain water.

13. This is going down hill fast. If I cry on my plants will the nutrients in my tears hurt the plant? I need a miracle.

14. Why giving clones or seedlings any nutes at all? Thy dont need much just use straigt happy frog or equivalent mix and be done. You have way too many nutes inthere yourburningthe crap outofthem. Switch to a organic water onlymix its what I docouldnt be happier. No ph or ppm or bottles to worry about. Done anddone stupid easy

15. I would honestly pull the plants up and plant them in a better soil with no added nutes. Just add water till they get bigger and start to show a slight n def then start feeding but lightly. Dont overdo it cant come back too easily from overfeed but underfed you can always add more if need be.

16. I really appreciate everyone's input so far. Richard you have been at this for a while and I'm really a newbie. Third grow. Isn't that kind of a drastic measure to cure what should be an obvious problem. I want to think it is over feeding as well but the plants weren't really greening up after they rooted. The roots looked good when I transplanted them but have been having a yellowing problem with all the newer growth on my plants. Not on the bottom but the top half of the plant. Some of the clones had no green in the upper leaves, the new growth would be bright yellow and then I would start to feed them and they would then start greening up. I thought maybe it was an underfeeding problem so I started feeding them more. Everywhere you read says feed the clones like "normal" and the new plants when they started showing deficiencies. ALL my plants have been having a yelling problem and I wasn't feeding them or feeding very little, so hence the stepping up of the food. I have thought about mixing my coco with foxfarm again but I felt that straight coco would be better. Other people do it, I mean "what the fcuk".

17. I think initially I had a cal/mag problem that I mistook for under feeding. I then think that maybe I have overfed them now and need to back off the nutes completely for a few days. I was thinking of flushing them again tonight with half ro and tap water ph'd to 5.8 and put about 4mls calmag in the last flush, then leaving them alone to see what happens. I was looking at my journal and in my first grows I was adding 4ml calmag to 350ppm tap water with my regular schedule and didn't have this problem. BUT, I was using 1/3 each foxfarm, coco, and perlite. Anyone want to chime in on this idea?

18. #18 smokster, Feb 7, 2013
    WOW. Did SCMC get banned? What? I was hoping he would chime in. I need advice from an experienced coco grower PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.......BERRY you stll there man..

19. Hey smokster which jacks you using, classic or professional?..And fyi 5gr/gal of 20-20-20 nets ~265ppm N ~116P ~220K so way too hot for them there young girls..
    Again depending on what jacks sys you're running will determine the CA& or Mg amending if any are needed..What I woud do is flush like you're thinking and feed at~1/4 strength till things pickup..
    Less is more my friend..
    FWIW ATM I'm rockin Jacks Pro Hydro 5-12-26 with Calnit in canna coco/perlite mix..It's the shitz mang, in my garden...

20. Cheecha, thank you for the reply and advice. I am using Jacks 20/20/20 in veg and their 10/30/20 in flower. I have used it in 3 grows now. I mixed coco, foxfarm and perlite in my 1st grow. I mixed it all in layers with worm castings, phosphorus, some other happyfrog stuff, and a scoup of moldy coffee grinds from some recipe that I found on the net some place. It was supposed to be a stand alone 5gallon bucket of medium that all you had to do was water and each layer would do its thing at the right time. Man I was a newbie and saw some grows using just Jacks and the results were amazing. I got lucky as hell on that first grow and had some really nice plants when it finished. But I changed the recipe up from the original one and feed it Jacks at the same time. For some reason I kept reading up on all the sites and started screwing up the mix. Getting lucky on the first grow made me think I knew what the fudge I was doing which ending up making me to brave or to dumb or I don't know but it started down hill from there.My second grow had some problems but it somehow came through with less then dismal results. I used Jacks during it as well. But that time I only used coco, foxfarm and perlite. Looking back, and checking my journal I now know I was under feeding them and PHing to the wrong number. I had to take some time away from growing but I kept up on the reading and through all that I some how got lost. I have been really struggling this time. I have changed the way I grow so much that I am having to relearn the fundamentals. That breakdown chart is the CHit man. I always wondered how people knew exactly what they were feeding their plants. I've spent my whole life figuring out stuff without asking for help that I forgot how. And when things started going down hill I mucked it up trying to fix it instead of trying to figure out why, or something like that. I'm on my own here and I'm color blind. I can't see the plants change like other people. By the time I see it it's usually pretty far advanced. I'm sure glad I finally decided to post cause some of the reply's have been helpful. It sucks when you have to be so stealth that the only place I can vent or seek help is from strangers on the internet. Not meaning any disrespect to anyone. Sorry for all the meaningless bla bla bla but its starting to feel good getting some input on my problem.

Back to the Jacks Pro Hydro. I hadn't seen that. You hear so much about the expensive nutes but theres not alot of info on Jacks. I have read some threads where folks were using it with great success so thought I would give it a try. I have GH flora and was giving some serious thought to trying the Lucas formula. This time around I'm going coco/perlite. I'd be interested in seeing some pics of your plants on the Jacks. Post them here on my thread if you want. Again thanks to all who have replyed.