What the hell is wrong with my plant??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by afrobong, Mar 17, 2011.

1. hi,

Please help me, I am a novice and this is my first grow.

I have a young plant, sprouted 10 days ago. Not exactly sure which strain but I think it is Mango Kush. I got the seeds from my stash which was pretty dank. Anyway so this plant has been growing in regular dirt I got outside my house (I planted this before I bought soil at the store). I am growing it under 2 23w CFL lights in my closet with about 9 other seedlings. The temp is a bit hot because I live at the equator and I only have a fan in my room. At the closest point to the lights the temp is 100 degrees F or 40 celcius. I put a cage with 4 mice in the closet to supplement CO2 levels. I have also put a dehumidifier (humidity here regularly exceeds 90%)

In the past 24h or so the serrated edges of the leaves have started turning yellow a bit. What could be causing this? Another sister plant grew into one of the lights and got burnt . The yellow marks on the former are different from the light burns though. How do I treat the one with light burns? So far I've only cut the burnt areas off and watered the plant.

Could it be that the soil I used is lacking nutrients? Should I add fertilizer? If so how much and what type?

Also, In the early stages my light was high up so the two above mentioned plants stretched a bit. The burnt one looks like its forming nodes on the stem below the leaves. Also I've noticed some roots exposed a bit where the stem meets the surface. Is this a sign of under watering?

PIX:

Attached Files:

2. it looks like the dirt you are using may be the problem, and potentially the temperature

3. yeah, since you don't know what was in the soil before, you might have screwed up your plants a bit.

The yellowing sounds like a nutrient issue, so you probably want to add some.

I like the Advanced Nutrients setup myself...

Sensi A&B Grow
    Sensi A&B Bloom
    Voodoo Juice
    Big Bud
    B-52
    Overdrive

Just start out with the Sensi base nutes to see how they rock your grow....and you'll see things turn around pretty quickly. Always good to control your grow as much as possible. Buy your own soil, buy your own nutes, etc.

good luck!

4. I would say you have several problems...
    1. not enough light
    2. the dirt you're using
    3. the containers you're using
    4. sure you have a nute problem too, and or a ph lockout
    5. because of the dirt you're using, the roots I'm sure are not getting oxygen like they should..

and I'm sure if we could see the room you have them in, we can add to this list...
    You may want to do some reading on how to grow indoors and then start over with better knowledge of how to grow period...

Maybe start with a tomato plants and work your way up.. LOL
    JK ;)

5. yeah start over soil is big problem spend a bit coin on some decent soil or get a mix off here and do it ya self and get some decent pots to pot them in and yes get your light closer thats why they are leggin off

6. Below are a few pix showing the relative sizes of the containers I am using. Also note that the seedlings are of different ages, there are about 4 batches. My oldest batch is in plastic fruit juice containers, the 2nd & 3rd are in the brown pots I got from the gardening store the 4th is in the party cups. Some of the responses said my containers are bad. How so? I mean I've chosen to go with the party cups because they are cheaper that the pots and I can fit more in the same space. I didn't think the size was an issue since I've seen some growers who use rockwool cubes that are way smaller. I've also poked holes for drainage.

I realize everything is shitty at the moment esp with my oldest plants. The situation is I'm getting a new apartment in the next few days (my current housemate wouldn't approve) so until then I can't do anything fancy. A few CFLs is all I can manage to keep secret ATM. Also, I'm gonna go buy 2 more today. I already have 2 HPS 400w shipping right now as well as Northern Lights Seeds. My germination kit from Nirvana Shop has already arrived.

The soil I'm using now for my younger batches is called "GreenMan" and is a "natural organic soil" containing nutrient rich humus compound, red burnt soil, coco peat, charcoal and river sand. I mix this with some perlite and some other stuff that is red-brown and has what looks like coconut husks in it. The perlite mostly lines the bottom while the red stuff is mostly in the middle while the organic soil is mostly on top.

I started the shitty batch while I wait for the real stuff to arrive. Even if the harvest wont be so great I still want to continue coz I want buds asap. Where I live street bud is usually laced with fucked up shit like PCP. In fact I think the bud I'm stoned on right now is laced. And anyway it will give me a little experience so I can better handle the real grow.

Since the soil could be the culprit, I've decided to put the soil I bought at the store on top of it and watered it so that it seeps down taking the nutrients with it. Also this I thought might help with the stretchiness that has already happened.

Any more tips and pointers on improving this and subsequent batches.

Thank you :smoking:

Attached Files:

7. more pics

Attached Files: