What the hell happened to Graffix?!?!

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by itis420, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Hi gang, first post here. Been lurking for awhile :)

I have been medicating for several years and since graduating from the old plastic/acrylics 20 some odd years ago I went for, at the time, the very best I could afford: Graffix.

Well my friend is old lol. She survived college, and more parties than I can count, and at least a dozen girlfriends who, I am sure, I had pissed off at one time or another rofl. Her ceramic base, well it broke years ago along the back, didn't hurt the functionality of her at all lol, the plastic o-ring that attaches the waterpipe to the base is cracked. The glass is immaculate especially for her age lol. (one spot in particular is impossible for me to clean :() So, I think it is about time to set her aside for very special occasions and get something new. And wow, am I disappointed with, at least by the looks of them, the new waterpipes out there. First, where the hell is Graffix?!?! No one has them, most of the kids in headshops out here haven't the slightest idea of what a Graffix waterpipe is, let alone where to get one.

Secondly, from what I have seen at the local shops in Sactown, including Twisted on J where I originally had purchased my Graffix, the new ones look flimsy and way too fragile. Not to mention hella expensive for what doesn't seem that impressive.

I found a jester base which is on the way over here, so at least my base wont be cracked anymore lol. But I would love a new Graffix, especially a true glass on glass one but it doesn't seem that they are being made anymore.

Any clue where I can get my hands on a Graffix? What would be on an even par with Graffix today, if they are no longer around? Weedstar? RooR? Should I even bother trying to convert mine to a GonG? I think the bubble where the downstem goes in (the joint?) might be too weak to be able to support all the stuff I have seen on some of the new ones lol, though it all seems to be a bit overkill hehe.

Thanks all :D

2. Forgive me for laughing at your post. You've been out of the loop for a long time. Graffix has been so far outdone that you should stop searching for one.... right this second.

How much are you looking to spend? From what it sounds like you want a durable GonG. US Tubes, Migrant and HVY immediately come to mind with their 9mm offerings. Once you get back at me with a price and what you're interested in as far as specifications, I can be more specific.

3. old skool man

4. I would let go of the idea of getting another Graffix and would just move onto getting another functional piece.

5. there is so much nicer glass than graffix

6. I met one of the old blowers from Graffix at the Cannabis Cup last month. Apparently they might be about to pop back onto the scene.

7. Told y'all its been a bit hehe. I even put pics of her up in the family thread so I can be laughed at lol.

Been looking at the offerings here through Grass City and probably not gonna bother with percs or anything like that. I mean heck that woulda been great back in the day with the schwag brick crap that you could pick up for nothing lol, but my medicine is tasty as hell lol.

Probably 7-9mm glass, $100-$300 at most. 3 part system is fine if I understand it all correctly. Could care less about a perc, probably a diffused downstem. There's a crap ton here some for even under a bill but you normally get what you pay for. :(

If I were buying a piece for my girl alot of the stuff would be perfect for her. Me, I don't want anything on my tube but the glass and the water/smoke/ice inside it. I understand that for some these are works of art. Me, it needs to be functional, simple, easy to clean, kick my backside, and not be garishly overworked. :)

Hell, those Molino tubes look fine for me if they didn't have the moronic sticker on it. lol.

8. SWEET! Now, that would definitely make me a happy camper.

9. Sounds like a 9mm Migrant tube would be right up your alley. $200+shipping on ALT. 16 inches tall, small sandblasted label. You could add on a great diffuser too... something like an Alex K showerhead or Leisure 6arm.

10. My LHS sells graffix as a matter of fact I think i have a couple in my collection that are temporarily being loaned out. If you want a new one for nostalgia's sake then just keep your eyes peeled (hahahaha) and you'll find one eventually. Happy hunting!

11. Yeah, I know my LHS had a few Graffix recently, not sure if they're still their. They looked suitable to what you want out of a bong since you don't want anything fancy. Good luck finding a tube you enjoy!

12. my headshop sells graffix, the plastic ones, I actually have one... but none that are glass. Check out grasscity shop here if you are looking for something lower in price, and for higher quality check Aqua Lab Technologies.
    Also weedstar seems to be somewhere in the middle now they came up in quality quite a bit.

13. #13 Reelconnoisseur, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010
    Welcome man, cool story and very similar to mine a handful of yrs ago. Although no way i was keeping that same Graphix around for all those yrs, lol. The 1 i bought 15 or so yrs ago got broke by the cops or thrown at me by an ex or something, lol. I remember i took it to the Dead show in Tampa in '95, its pretty much a blur after that, lol. So is the 20 or so junk china pieces i bought and broke over the years after that in my inexperience, lol. Its also the headshops in the area, they make more money off selling crappier pieces(and fake Roor stuff, so be careful) they can buy for cheaper, than paying more for nicer stuff. 20yrs of nothing but junk headshops here.

Anyway, just wanted to say after the research on glass i did, i ended up going with Roor. They originated quite a few of the innovations, 30 some years ago believe it or not, seen in pieces today(use of gong connections and borosilicate, invented diffuser) and i was most comfortable with buying from them because of there rep for QC, over 30 yrs in the business and innovations everyone else copies today, the man is/has been doing something right.

Now all that said, listen to Sinse, he absolutely knows what features need to be included in a simple high quality, easy to maintain, sturdy, functional piece like your looking for, and gives some of the best most experienced advice i've seen during my time here at GC. I can tell you you have the basics down just from so many yrs experience cause of your perc comment and Sinse grasps it also, i can assure you. He won't steer you in the wrong direction, that you can be sure of and if you want to do more research, look up some of his old posts, you'll find a wealth of accurate info, imo... Good luck man, let us know what you decide on...

14. its actually an etch. its 2mm into the glass i believe. i just ordered one because i like the price and simplicity. it still hasnt arrived but im very much looking forward to it. i hope you complete your quest of finding the perfect bong for you :D

15. I'm oldskool :D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. When I hear "BONG" I immediately think Graffix!!! ha ha awesome, I was actually wondering why I wasn't seeing it here as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Any ideas yet man? I'm interested to see what you go for...

18. #18 itis420, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
    I shopped around here and around sac town and at twisted found an 16" beaker, 7mm, 18 mm joint 18-14mm diffuser, ice catcher. Very clean no nonsense hehe, pretty much just like the illusion's ive seen here without the nubs on it. Has an etched devil with NorCal written underneath. Blown by someone up in Chico, apparently works for a major producer but blows his own on the side. Total was 90 or something. Probably could've saved a few bucks but its always good to support local folks and it works very well :)

I also went ahead and converted my Graffix over to gong with only minor air leakage around the grommet. Only a big deal for a poorly packed bowl heh.

All in all pretty happy, it gets dirty hella fast but I'll probably just pick up a couple of cheap ash catchers.

There was one waterpipe there at Twisted... pretty cool idea... rather large but each section of the tube came apart. The parts of the down tube are all this sifter gong style with clamps holding it all so it doesn't slip. One section with a shower head perc, another with a 4 or 6 arm perc, and the base section and mouthpiece section. Unfortunately that is where it ended, woulda been really cool if there were a handful of configurations you could go for... a transformer tube :)

Obviously my new glass is working lol. G'night all :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. I found a ceramic graffix not to long ago. Very nice piece. It kicks me straight in the ass! It has an old school diffuser. Basically a regular stem, but it has a small all at the end to diffuse. I've try to find others like it online, but all efforts have failed..does anyone else know what I am speaking of?

20. Man, don't knock Graffix, there's some serious nostalgia there...

I had a glass Graffix piece about 15 years ago that was awesome, until the popo made me "dispose" of it...my local shop still carries their acrylics so I picked one up. It works fine for me, I just clean it frequently.

I realize theres really nice stuff out there(I'm looking at this: Blaze Glass - Double Spiral Perc Ice Bong with Clipper Lighter - Black - Glass Bongs - Bongs and Waterpipes - Smoking Pipes - Grasscity.com)

But there's no need to be so tough on Graffix and acrylics. I'd definitely like to see Graffix get back in the game.

• Like Like x 1