What the fuck is going on here

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SIRSOG, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Ok... so I live in CO, its not warm out right now... at night it dips into the 20's or below....

I have a shed.... 8'x11'x7'H.... which is insulated... not completely, but its insulated. The veg chamber is separated by panda paper walls and its 4x4x7h.... and when i say its panda paper separated, that means it is NOT heat/air sealed in anyway, the entire shed is maintaining this temp

Now... i have an 8 bulb t5, with a fan blowing across it... i have a heater in there set to 75, and a microlux which also moves air....

riddle me this.... it gets to fucking 85 degrees, climaxed at 89, from JUST the t5..... the heater wont activate after its 76 degrees, and to add, i had turned it off....

Can anyone explain how the fuck florescents are heating a shed that size to almost 90 god damn degrees? When its like 30 or below outside....... I dont want my clones to die.... and i fear if we have another warm 60 degree day the temp in there is going to skyrocket above 90.... and we all know what that is going to mean

2. seriously??? BUMP BECAUSE I CAN!!!!!!

3. Are you bringing in any fresh/cooled air. How? I have no Idea. I run an 8 bulb 2 ft t5, and a 400 watt in about the same conditions as you. Never gets over 80 in winter. That's with fans off. Now I know where you live you get more sun than where I am. I used to live in Summit County, and a year in D-town. The sun will probably heat your shed up pretty good unless the roof is really well insulated. Could be heating up from the sun baking the shingles too.

4. The ceiling is very well insulated hahahahah we made sure to insulate it just for that reason.... Im 100% positive its the lights, the light was off today and i threw my green headlamp on and when in to look and the temp dropped to 70 because i turned the heater off just incase it wasnt reading right and was over heating, where as when the heater was off earlier and the light was on it was 82... Now if it doesnt go above that i have no problem... but the thermometer registered a high of fucking 89 twice now and thats too high for comfort lol

Im going to have to figure out some way to get more venting going on... i think that may help.... but damn i had NO idea t5's would pump so much fucking heat out, if i didnt have that fan in there i assume it would easily be reaching into the 90's, its a BIG ass box fan blowing across the lights... my legit fan isnt set up yet, the clones came a bit early hahahaha

5. What do you have for fresh air coming in? You still haven't mentioned what you are running for exhaust. I have never seen a t5 get warm enough to do that. From what I would think. Who makes the light.

6. im 99% sure its hydro farm hahaha, its my friends light and i totally forgot to check on my lunch break. As for intake, the shed isnt air tight and i have hardly any fuckin intake/exhaust going right now, which i know is a huge issue lol, im working on that later tonight, but i figured with just the t5 (and for only 2 days) the exhaust/intake wouldnt cause much heat issue, its not like my 600w hps is fucking on..... ITS BLOWING MY MIND MAN... when the exhaust/intake is up and running ill keep a close eye on the temps

7. I agree. In winter I would think you could run that light in a shed with no exhaust no problem. Guess we are both wrong. Once you get that exhaust up and running I bet you will be just fine. How's the winter been so far this year in Boulder. I have been back in Wisconsin now for 4 years, and man do I miss CO. Def. my favorite state in the union. Everyone is just so laid back, and chill compared to here.

8. [quote name='"todderfran"']I agree. In winter I would think you could run that light in a shed with no exhaust no problem. Guess we are both wrong. Once you get that exhaust up and running I bet you will be just fine. How's the winter been so far this year in Boulder. I have been back in Wisconsin now for 4 years, and man do I miss CO. Def. my favorite state in the union. Everyone is just so laid back, and chill compared to here.[/quote]

Pretty weird man we've had like multiple days of 65 degree weather n shit lol... its warm right now hahahahah little cool, like high 40's.... usually its like 15 in jan as I'm sure you know lol the sheds gonna be a huge issue when my babies hit flower.... gonna have 3 new clones under the t5 and my hps will be on... luckily I have an ac unit just for the shed lol

9. #9 Swills, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
    Is the ground covered with a shed floor or is it bare earth? Perhaps the ground staying warm is keeping the heat temp ups, plus its in a shed, free from the wind and most elements, so with what, at least 18 hours of the lights on and a little heater to kick on when temps dip (aka lights off), I can see how the temps remain constant. T5s are high density, so I guess they put more heat than regular tubes. I dunno, I've never used T5s but I do have a T5 fixture coming in the mail. I do know my CFL flower grow heats up my tent 10 degrees.

LoL, ac unit in the shed for the winter time

10. Ah, good old Colorado weather. All over the fucking place. Don't worry you'll get the shed all figured out. I run my 1000 watt hps for flower, in an insulated room in the attic. I direct vent the 1000 watt with cool air from the attic, and then straight out the room. Then I have another exhaust fan hooked up to a charcoal filter exhausting air from the top of the room. The exhaust is run by an atmospheric controller. So it only turns on when needed. During the winter it stays cool enough with the light direct vented that my exhaust barely even turns on. This is why I am baffled that you t5 gets that hot. Now on another note, you will probably def need ac for the summer months if you plan on staying in the shed. It gets so hot in my attic I pull the plug in mid may, and move outdoors.

11. Yea its the lights lol. I use a 1000 w hps. I kno its a big boy but with so fans on at all just my bulb will heat my room damn near 90! With it being 20 degrees outside. I think its a combination of the heater and the light. Because you said its pretty well insulated. So even when the heater doesnt kick on after 76 degrees or whatever the temp is it doesnt kick on at. The heat it does put out plus the lights heat is trapped. Im just throwing something out there tho. Might be something completely different but i hope it is this problem bc i had the same prob. The fans are just blowing it around.

12. lol ac isnt out there now. and the shed floor is fuckin dirt, covered in a tarp, covered in 1 inch thick rubber stall mats hahahahah.

But the main issue is, the 18 hours of light are from 5PM to 11 AM... so the lights on when its fucking MEGA cold out.... all night.. and it STILL holds those crazy temps.... Hopefully the intake/exhaust will just keep it at 75 in the winter here.... i know the air coming in will be vastly below 75 lol but that heater is a tank and will maintain 75 regardless... and the lights... fucking mini suns i guess.... mind = exploded

13. lol 1000w hps = a TON hotter than a t5 man, that comparison doesnt work.... and my hps will have its own cooling fan + ducting and shit for that so it will be kept more under control hahhahahaha

14. Oh lol i forgot but the my hood is air cooled with a vortex but i dont use it during winter.

15. Haha yea the AC will be on all summer with a heat regulated system attached too it to make sure it is working correctly, but outdoors isnt an option for me, i have no spots with direct sun light besides right by the sidewalk out front... and you know... thats just a terrible TERRIBLE idea lol

16. Yea i kno its alot hotter bro but im sayin the heater plus ur t5 could cause ur prob believe it or not. Hope u get it straight tho. :)

17. Seriously. Never put a heater in your grow room unless you're in like north fuckin canada. Also this could result from what you just fuckin said yourself - the place is INSULATED (for the most part at least). So how the hell is heat gonna escape? Specially when u got a heater in there.

Come on man...think. What can you do to help air (and heat) flow in and out of the room. Starts with inline and ends with fan.....no? You're hopeless.

At this point I wouldnt be as worried about the temps as I would be about the fact that you have no air exchange going on. All of the air in that whole shed needs to be exchanged about every minute.

Get on that.

18. Thsnks kronikkk thats what i said.

19. No no no, the shed is insulated, but the door is not (thats being worked on but since i have no intake/exhaust its been left alone) and massive amounts of air come in and out of that door...

During the day, when the lights are off and we are having this nice winter weather its no issue... but i guess you arent aware at a mile high it can get FUCKING EXTREMELY COLD at night man, the heater is a necessary requirement hahahaha before it was in there, the first day, the temp almost dropped below 60, hence it was put in there and again, the heater does NOT active unless temps are below 75 and then it kicks on for 30 seconds, and turns back off. Its the lights.... even when the heater is off they are somehow pushing more heat than is needed.... thats why i am also so confused, why 1 day did the lights allow a temp drop to almost below 60, but now, heater or not, hold a constant hot ass temp... it must have been really cold/windy that day and im just not remembering...

and ill have to see what happens when intake/exhaust is added... i dont have much time so i work at night lol and since t5's arent NORMALLY a billion degrees it hasnt been done yet

trail and error, only way to win these games

20. Oh ok didnt kno about the door bro lol idk then.