What spending would you cut to balance the budget?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by weednotcrack, Jun 28, 2011.

1. #1 weednotcrack, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011
  2. cut the offensive military budget, and then there would still be room to spend on medicare, SS etc..
    where does medicare fall on that graph? (health and human services?)

3. Yes, I believe so

4. I think I broke it.

5. Military and foreign aid first. Work to phase out SS or at least let people opt out. All of the "entitlement" programs are failures due to waste via bureaucracy (70% of funds). They should all be returned to the states.

"To close the long-term entitlement gap,
    the U.S. economy would have to grow by double digits every year for the next 75 years."
    Ron Paul​

Worth a watch:

(Keep in mind, there is no "trust fund" - DC has spent all the money on other things. There is just a bunch of IOU's)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMGAi8aGeYM]YouTube - Social Security vs. Private Retirement Accounts[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EnpzrD277E]YouTube - How to Fix Our Fiscal Crisis[/ame]

6. I almost broke it. For all these crazy wars and 18 veterans committing suicide each day...I'd save this for last or not cut at all, they get fucked too much already: Veterans Affairs.

7. It's funny how all these "Departments" operate exactly opposite of what their names suggest - Like George Orwell's '1984' books' infamous illogical reasoning "Doublethink" portrays:

Department of Defense: Used in offensive operations.

Department of Treasury: There is no 'treasure.' There is nothing but non-existent riches.

Social Security: Enslavement by dependency.

Department of Labor: Mostly deals with unemployment. Labor is far, few, and in between the crud.

The list goes on and on...

8. OP, I think we have a epic fail here.

We're on a marijuana forum, and yet, you failed to list THE agency that affects all of us here in a very negative way. The Drug Enforcement Agency.

Legalize it, and you'll have not only your cuts, but tax revenue as well.

9. August West, I'mma callin' you out partna

*WAAH WAAH WAAHH*

*tumble weeds*

No but seriously I looked on the poll and it appears you voted to cut just about everything but NASA.

I just want to put it out there that NASA is probably one of the biggest wastes of money out there. If we were colonizing planets, claiming land and resources I'd be all for it. Instead it's just pure waste for the most part.

In space travel, independent companies have already proven they can build spaceships/launch pads/etc for much cheaper than NASA.

When it comes to science, NASA is credited with tons of things but when I remember looking into it they never really invented a whole lot. They basically acquired companies/businesses technology by purchasing it and it was sort of assumed they invented these things. Now they would also reach out and fund companies to create other things they needed but again they assumed the credit for other's developments which they simply funded.

Fuck NASA, tell me when we're changing the terrain and air on another planet or have the ability to at a minimum colonize the moon.

10. dude im trying to get a job with nasa after college.... increase nasa spending plz.

besides who would u rather have be the first to mars... NASA or some corporation?

Nasa is a great part of our culture. I grew up with that shit in my head dreaming of one day working for them.

11. That's funny, I view NASA as one of the few worthwhile things to spend money on.

Better to spend money on trying to improve science and our understanding of the universe than building bombs tanks and guns (or throwing the money into a friggin hole like a lot of other agencies)

12. but i like space ships.. :(

i also fucked up w/ the poll.. i voted based on abolishing things.. and not just cutting.
    so i shoulda clicked on dept of defense as well. (i think it needs cuts especially in the offensive dept.. )

13. :laughing:

that's awesome..

14. That's some pretty cool information ,but I would feel more safe with investing my money into a retirement account with the bank knowing the bank would be bailed out if anything goes wrong with the bank:laughing:

Seeing how entitlements like medicare and medicaid are the big problem,than we need a single-payer health care system.According to this article,a single-payer financing is the only way to recapture this wasted money. The potential savings on paperwork, more than $400 billion per year, are enough to provide comprehensive coverage to everyone without paying any more than we already do.

Fix the Budget You Say? Krugman asks "Why Not A Public Option for Medicare?" | Squattable.com

15. I mostly just voted for what i thought was most immediately needed. Idealy we could do without govrrnment in any of these areas, but baby steps are key.

16. Department of Education, trim military, eliminate social welfare and other inefficient systems that should be controlled on a state level.

17. I think cutting DOD and ending these fucking WARS would have a huge impact on the plus side for our economy. Not saying don't spend that money, just spend it on something in our country that will create jobs, like alternative energy for a start. BTW, I don't think NASA is really our space program. I'm sure we have one, but it isn't that 30 year old shuttle technology.

18. have fun with the muslim outreach program:D

19. Fuck Department of Defense... like we need more bloodshed than we have now.