What size smart pot?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mermaids smoke seaweed, Jun 25, 2018.

1. I'm growing autoflowering Durban Poison. It's my first time growing autoflowering plants. I just put them in 5 gallon smart pots. As they get bigger, will I need to transplant them to 10 gallon pots, or will the 5 gallon pots be fine?

Attached Files:

2. 5s should be ok. Durban isnt a huge bush.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  3. in soil? My autos never used more than 7 gallons when growing in soil airpots. I grow autos now in 5 gallon smartpots. All perlite no soil. 3 gallon smartpot is actually big enough. I think for me 5 gallon smartpot in a 16 inch saucer all perlite is perfect. I just keep the saucer filled with nutritious water.

• Like Like x 1
  4. So are you starting to hear this is the thing I guess indoors I could never Do It Outdoors when was a hundred miles an hour on some days so you find it okay for germination feeding you do everything the same just treated like it's a soil?

5. #6 Talkative, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    yes, I learned it from traditional 2 gallon hempy buckets. All hempy info applies. The originals were in perlite/vermiculite, which I started with, but preferred the straight perlite after I resalized that it was the perfect medium for germination. Like this last seed I planted was new and the reviewers complained it never geminated or you know how seed reviews go. It took longer than I had thought it would, like 6 days, but there was never any thought of giving up, because I knew it was in a perfect environment. That's how I got started in pure perlite. I germinated a seed just to see if it would work, and that was the first time I had ever seen a pot plant with an N def. So I sprayed it with some Foliage pro and it turned green and I kept spraying and it kept getting bigger and I have never grown in anything else since and don't ever intend to.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I did some side by sides with identical clones fed the same in 5 gallon vs. 7 gallon in the same garden. I think I averaged about a 50% higher yield from the 7 gallon. Ever since then if my plant has any size I go 7 gallon. That's a good size for up to a pound plant. I already have a GDP that took off like a rocket and I made the mistake of putting it in a 5 gallon. It's dry at the end of every day. It's still kicking ass but it would have been epic in a 7 gallon I bet. I'm cutting off it's potential.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 5 gallon 8oz's with white widow. 7 gallon 12 oz's.

• Like Like x 1
  8. he has auto flowering plants. was your side by side with photo or auto?

9. with auto not an expert with auto. personal experience the auto were happy in 3 gallon pots. so your 5 will be good to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. My autos are in 5 gallon tan fabric pots. Using Ocean Forest FF w/ 20% perolite. Six weeks and the haze is 3 foot and the two GG4 are 30" and 34", outside grow.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I've always used 5-gallon run-of-the-mill plastic pots I use the tall ones. I guess I figured the tall ones I could get more plants on my 4 by 4 but what you don't think of is how pushy and big the plants are going to be. So this is the first time that I'm flowering in the Big Ten plus gallon pots I wasn't going to flower inside but decided to bring in my outdoor stuff cuz I wanted to get it flowering and see how good a couple of strains I had going was. But if you think about it the bigger pots are probably better way to go because you can only put so many plants in a certain area anyways. Might as well have pots that are as big as wide as your plants are when they're finished. Some of my buddies on here have always use big pots indoors for autos and photos. When I do my auto run after it cools down I'm going to try them in 10 gallon pots just to see but 5 gallons and most of your autoflowers are about the way to go. Be careful with super Autos they can be monsters like flash seeds

12. I’ve always wanted to grow a super Auto. Where do you guys get your super auto beans from? Growers Choice Seeds doesn’t have any super autos the last time I checked.

Current Autoflower Grow

New 3x C4 Auto Grow

13. I haven't grown autos. I agree that you do sort of want to size your pot to the plant. An auto that won't get taller then 2-3 feet because it's fast maturing would be fine in a 3-5 gallon. If it's a rapid grower though I would put it in a 7 gallon. The 7 gallon fabric pots aren't usually any taller, just wider. There's usually plenty of room at the base of the plant for a 7 gallon. There are some massive auto plants out there now and I'm sure many of them could finish in a 7. Hotbunz on here used to grow autos over 10oz.

It's hard to tell if you finish a plant in a 5 gallon if it would have gotten larger in a 7. If you find that the pot is bone dry at the end of a day chances are that plant would have done better in a larger pot size.

14. Hmm all perlite..
    I've considered this for SOG from clone with little to no vegg...

15. Yes, I started with 2 gallon food grade, but I now much prefer the smartpots for the 100% perlite route. 2 gallon was minumum for me and same seed autos were noticably smaller in the 2 gallon food grade, but same seed in 5 gallon all perlite just exploded on me and it exceeded it's 2x2 space. One thing I noticed about the 2 gallon all perlite is they develope perfectly for photos to transplant to larger pot for flowering. If I was doing sog perlite/smartpot I would go 1 gallon. You keep the smartpot sitting in 2 inches of fresh nute/water. I foliar only the seedling (or clone untl roots reach bottom), then after that I'm not sure top watering is even necessary, so it would be ideal for sog.

• Like Like x 1