Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What plant is this?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Kyle/, May 14, 2010.

1. So I was snooping around fields looking for good grow spots when I came across a huge bunch of these plants. they're small, about 1 -2 feet tall, with buds with white hairs. I've included pictures! Its from north ontario btw.

Attached Files:

2. #2 oldskoolgrower, May 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2010
    Looks like it could be wild hops, or Japanese hops as people call them sometimes. Hard to tell from that picture, and they wouldn't be flowering now in Ontario. Interesting.

Hops and cannabis are cousins, btw. Very close cousins.

EDIT: On second glance I think it's some sort of nettle. Anyways, it's in the wrong forum :D

3. im hoping you didnt post that here thinking it's a weed plant

4. They seem to grow naturally, as in there's no noticeable patters. The buds DO look a lot like weed, but I knew buds wouldn't appear this early. Note, we've had days in February in the 20 - 25 degrees celsius range, yet we had snow a week ago... They smell real planty, like grass kind of... EDIT: And no, I knew for a fact it wasn't marijuana XD

5. #5 Totah Sam, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
    Yep.. that would be japanese hops. :)

You realize they have a skin irritant similar to poison oak, right? :p

ruh roh!

Avoid the prickly hairs.

6. That was my first thought too, and the pictures are rather blurry, but they wouldn't be flowering this early :confused_2:

EDIT: Then again they flower earlier than normal hops, and it was a warm April in the NE of North America. I suppose it's possible.

7. Ok, thats good! Sorry about the pics, I took em with my webcam. Anyways, I didnt mess around with them too much lol and I recently washed my hands so I should be good :p Does anyone agree with me that they DO look a little like marijuana?

8. It's not as bad but yes they can be an irritant.

Thankfully I'm one of the 25% of the population who is immune to poison ivy, oak, sumac, and other plant irritants. At least so far. I'm still careful because allergies can be developed from repeated exposure to allergens.

9. Well, you can apparently smoke them! And it does give you a high, just very subtle as I found. I'm not gonna try it though, skin irritant in my lungs? No thanks :p

10. Regular hops you can smoke. Don't smoke Japanese hops.

EDIT: Oh and the irritant is on the leaves and vine, not the flowers. It's also not the same chemical as in poison ivy, oak, etc. It's more of an irritant from the fine fibers that grow on it. Much like fiberglass it can cause contact dermatitis in some people.

Jap. Hops just don't have much of the good compounds that domestic ones do, re: smoking. Just like wild hemp won't give you much of a buzz.

11. I was going to say it's not a chemical irritant. The sensation is similar to poison oak depending on how many hairs you lodge in your skin. It's miserable.

12. Yeah it's like figerglass insulation. Itchy! I tend to not be bothered much. I grow my own hops for beer brewing so maybe I'm just used to it. I think there are pics in a thread by me called 'I grow other plants too'. Too baked and stuffed from dinner to dig for it :p