Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What parts of a plant are...usable?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Goobur, Jul 24, 2012.

1. I am only a couple weeks from harvesting my first grow. I plan to keep the clipings from the buds because the fan leaves are also loaded with frostiness! I want to try making some keif or butter or both. I have also heard of folks using stems for this. What about the initial fan leaves that I am starting to lose on the lower part of the plant? Are these worth saving for edibles or are the clippings and stems the only parts worth processing?

2. you could iso wash them maybe? idk. lol

3. Can't u make edibles that's what I'm gonma do?....

4. Yes you can use stems, clippings, or any other part of the plant to make edibles. However if you use them know that they are less potent so more needs to be used. Oh and if it's just trim then you could also run it over a keif screen before even making edibles with it which is probably a good idea. Basically yes.

5. with the leaves I know you can make edibles and even some hash

6. Pretty much anything above the soil is usable. Stems, leaves, and of course buds.

7. The big water leaves without trichs and stems I leave alone. Not worth the process IMO; if your bud-starved, might be worth it for you - there's very little potency in the big leaves and stems, but there's some.

8. I think we will be far from "bud-starved" with this first grow. It is looking good. I have not thrown away any of the leaves yet. They are in a paper sack and starting to accumulate. I would just like to experiement with the non-bud portions of the plant first before I feel comfortable processing some buds that otherwise would have been fine to just smoke.

just a couple more weeks I hope!

[​IMG]

9. #9 1sttimegrower, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
    Yeah see, anyone who grows should have no use for the big water leaves. You have to analyze the cost-effectiveness of anything.

If you want to process em, you need either bubble bags and dry ice, or just dry ice, or a sift screen (VERY NOT WORTH IT with non-trich fan leaves), or bottles of isopropyl, or WORST OF ALL, cans of butane. Plus factor in the time... bleh. Its just simply not worth going over all those fan leaves when you can smoke your BUD! Then, when you want hash or something, you process the sugar leaves (anything with trich's).

If I havn't deterred you yet, your processing the sugary leaves will likely yield you more potent material than the water leaves.

You may get more hash if you bubble bag the giant water leaves, but only because you'll get a LOT of plant material - potency for potency, the water leaves will not even come close to what the sugars will yield in TOTAL weight of THC.

The way I do it is if I can SEE some trichomes on the leaf, even if only 20-50 at the base of the leaf (yeah, sounds like alot, but sugar leaves have hundreds of trichs) I save it. Anything without visible frost I compost.

Its not hard to process bud; even if you mess up you get smokeable stuff. Just read some tutorials so you don't blow yourself up, if you want to extract using solvents (ISO or Butane - iso is easier IMO and less chance of going BOOM) If you want to practice, grab a jar, fill it with some grass or leaves halfway, pour water in until it covers the leaves/grass, shake like mad for 10-15 seconds, pour it through a coffee filter onto a pan - voila, QWISO hash has been practiced - get the routine down so the time the plant sits in the solvent is not more than 15 seconds - now when you do this with bud itll be 99% isopropyl alcohol instead of water and trim instead of grass, but you get the idea. BHO might be yummier tasting, so look into that if your interested in taste - really read up on everything around making BHO though. Everyone has a first time so I can't straight up tell you to stay the hell away from butane processing, but making BHO is the most dangerous of the hash making methods.(I mean, if you do it right nothing will go wrong, but if you do it wrong everything is terrible)

10. Great points, 1sttimegrower! There are mostly the water leaves in the bag now so it can be for my compost pile and I will save the frosty leaves for some processing fun!

11. Or use the wet leaves to wrap around bud and make a real cannabis blunt.